Kraton Carbon fiber chassis???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavisBj

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Nero
  3. 4x4-Mega
just wondering if anyone has tried bashing a kraton 6s with a carbon fiber chassis? Or shock towers. Im not even sure if there is a carbon fiber chassis for the kraton 6s, but if like to get one. Mines getting heavy with upgrades.

You might be able to find like one off carbon chassis for it on say Ebay. I haven't heard anything myself, JBI and M2C have 7075 aluminum chassis and shock towers that are pretty indestructible! ?

just wondering if anyone has tried bashing a kraton 6s with a carbon fiber chassis? Or shock towers. Im not even sure if there is a carbon fiber chassis for the kraton 6s, but if like to get one. Mines getting heavy with upgrades.
I think I remember @Rich Duperbash trying some carbon fiber shock towers and they broke. Granted he really sends his rigs but they didn't take near the punishment his M2C racing towers do. I would think a chassis would break if you're bashing it hard or the bottom would splinter. Those fibers would start to come unwound after it started to wear down.

Waste of money in my opinion. Stick to aluminum for sure. The word carbon fiber is so overstated these days. A lot of the time the cheap Chinese made parts is just carbon fiber looking tape covering plastic parts. Not just in the RC industry but everywhere. I was really into high end bicycles and I can assure you that all carbon fiber is not the same.

Carbon is great for alot of things...something that is supposed to flex is not one...
Waste of money in my opinion. Stick to aluminum for sure. The word carbon fiber is so overstated these days. A lot of the time the cheap Chinese made parts is just carbon fiber looking tape covering plastic parts. Not just in the RC industry but everywhere. I was really into high end bicycles and I can assure you that all carbon fiber is not the same.

It's not the carbon that becomes the problem, it's the resin. Another problem with any composite; most people like the look of composites and leave them unfinished. Most if not all resins used degrade with uv exposure...

Tha ks all for the input. I didn't think about the resins degrading over time. And honestly, I'm not going to be raci g but thought about a lightweight chassis option. Great input tho. Ive been wanting the m2c for about a year now. And the towers as well. Just need to do it. My truck really takes a good pounding. I just wish it were lighter without removing upgrades.

Tha ks all for the input. I didn't think about the resins degrading over time. And honestly, I'm not going to be raci g but thought about a lightweight chassis option. Great input tho. Ive been wanting the m2c for about a year now. And the towers as well. Just need to do it. My truck really takes a good pounding. I just wish it were lighter without removing upgrades.
upgrading the motor is a good option for making it seem lighter while driving

CRCU has some CF chassis and I asked Kimberly @Basherqueen if she plans to make any chassis and she said possibly in the future. I know @Rich Duperbash has a CF rig but I think it's just towers, top plate, ackerman etc but not chassis, don't remember him breaking anything but I could be wrong. Also @TpPartsRcXtreme just got a custom one of a kind xxl Kraton CF chassis from CRCU I'm looking forward to seeing him put to the test if he doesn't shelf queen it, but knowing Thomas I'm sure he will send it at least once at the pit.

never had any luck with carbon fibre always broke on me. will stick to 7075 ali

I think I remember @Rich Duperbash trying some carbon fiber shock towers and they broke. Granted he really sends his rigs but they didn't take near the punishment his M2C racing towers do. I would think a chassis would break if you're bashing it hard or the bottom would splinter. Those fibers would start to come unwound after it started to wear down.
^^^This. 👍
CF is just no good for bashing IMO.
For On-Road it has its uses. Still unnecessary. And not always practical. $$$ wise. Just bling for the most part. CF is not new in RC.
Just look at Crawlers, several years ago, adding brass weighted parts were the rage. Now they are also going in the other direction, CF now.
It is just all marketing, And because it is now available, some think it is somehow "Trick" to have CF.
CF has been used 20+ year ago in RC, when brushed motors and Nicads/Nims were underpowered, so reducing weight was the only way to be faster. BLX and Lipos changed that. CF has just been recently hyped again. Just an old concept, resurfaced as of late. Just not good for bashers if anything. (n)
If your Kraton feels too heavy, you have other issues. CF will break even easier.

Stop adding weight, or remove some of what you got. At some point heavier motors, unneeded bling and ESC's work against you, especially if it becomes a pig, then heat becomes an issue with parts breaking way easier. At some point all that power means less, because it needs to propel those extra pounds of weight. I prefer my 6s Truggies light and nimble. I would not even consider 8s and CF in these rigs. Unless in my Speed runners.( On-Road)
Look at the 8s rigs, 30 pounds, starts to break stuff out the box. If that is any lesson learned.
Just me.

^^^This. 👍
CF is just no good for bashing IMO.
For On-Road it has its uses. Still unnecessary. And not always practical. $$$ wise. Just bling for the most part. CF is not new in RC.
Just look at Crawlers, several years ago, adding brass weighted parts were the rage. Now they are also going in the other direction, CF now.
It is just all marketing, And because it is now available, some think it is somehow "Trick" to have CF.
CF has been used 20+ year ago in RC, when brushed motors and Nicads/Nims were underpowered, so reducing weight was the only way to be faster. BLX and Lipos changed that. CF has just been recently hyped again. Just an old concept, resurfaced as of late. Just not good for bashers if anything. (n)
If your Kraton feels too heavy, you have other issues. CF will break even easier.

Stop adding weight, or remove some of what you got. At some point heavier motors, unneeded bling and ESC's work against you, especially if it becomes a pig, then heat becomes an issue with parts breaking way easier. At some point all that power means less, because it needs to propel those extra pounds of weight. I prefer my 6s Truggies light and nimble. I would not even consider 8s and CF in these rigs. Unless in my Speed runners.( On-Road)
Look at the 8s rigs, 30 pounds, starts to break stuff out the box. If that is any lesson learned.
Just me.
Hi!

Carbon Fiber and Carbon Fiber can be some very different things.

I use high quality Carbon Fiber from Japan that is very very strong.
If you brake one of my Towers, then usually a lot of other damage happens to the rest of the car too.
Sure, they are not unbreakable, but at the end it's the overall weight that kills the bashers. The less weight, the better.
Look here what my Towers can take:

RC DUDE81:

Rich Duperbash:

Happy Bashing!
Kimberly

Hi!

Carbon Fiber and Carbon Fiber can be some very different things.

I use high quality Carbon Fiber from Japan that is very very strong.
If you brake one of my Towers, then usually a lot of other damage happens to the rest of the car too.
Sure, they are not unbreakable, but at the end it's the overall weight that kills the bashers. The less weight, the better.
Look here what my Towers can take:

RC DUDE81:

Rich Duperbash:

Happy Bashing!
Kimberly
Yes, you are right about true carbon fiber, there is even a false "carbon fiber" made with soot.

I can't argue with the quality and durability of your parts but another very important aspect is how the CF dissipate the impact: nylon partially absorb the impact while cf, due to its very rigid nature, only transmit it, like aluminum.

It is true that less weight means more power (a general rule in sport cars) but also the impact dissipation is very important in a rc car made for bashing.

Cheers

Yes, you are right about true carbon fiber, there is even a false "carbon fiber" made with soot.

I can't argue with the quality and durability of your parts but another very important aspect is how the CF dissipate the impact: nylon partially absorb the impact while cf, due to its very rigid nature, only transmit it, like aluminum.

It is true that less weight means more power (a general rule in sport cars) but also the impact dissipation is very important in a rc car made for bashing.

Cheers
Hi!

and again, it all depends on the quality of the Carbon Fiber, I can't stress this enough.
The Carbon Fiber that I uses for my products does Flex. Much more then 7075 T6 or other aluminum grades.
That helps a lot during impacts. It is flexing beyond the point where 7075 T6 get's permanently bend.
And guess what: After this point it breaks, because nothing is unbreakable.

You are perfect right. Do you know how much more the performance variantes from Lambos or Bugattis cost more? And how little the weight reduction looks like in comparison to the overall weight of the car?
Is it worth it?
Well, question is if you want to win a race or not. Every gram of weight reduction helps.

When it comes to us and our bashers it is not only the better acceleration. Less weight pays out especially when it comes to impacts after messed up landings or hitting other stuff. Wight kills, that simple it is.

Bash on!
Kimberly

Hi @Basherqueen,

CF has its place. We all RC differently. I have been doing RC for 30+ years. Starting at the Track for the first 10 years in this hobby. I have used CF extensively starting back in the 1990's. Buggies, Truggies and Pan cars. I am familiar with CF, it's limits and strengths, pros and cons. CF was very expensive back then. Quality was subpar by todays standards. Weight reduction seemed to be the predominant advantage then and perhaps now today.
I just have not felt the price justifies the end result. At least for me. For others it may work. IDK. Again we all enjoy RC differently. It is clear that I would need to utilize a whole CF kit on my Lim. for example to gain any appreciable weight advantage. CF front splitters don't make sense to me. And to pick and choose a la cart CF parts, say Shock Towers for example, the benefit is slim. Strength of CF becomes a moot point to myself. And I have seen first hand how it destructs.
Quality of the CF is paramount. Which you have covered no doubt. I have watched all your Videos for quite some time. And am thankful for the many parts you have in your inventory and the support you bring to this Hobby. It is well known Japan has the best lay ups and weaves. I know. I am also a cyclist and use much CF on my road bikes. I must admit, your CF prices are very competitive. 👍 I have noticed.
For Bashing Kratons, Noto's and the rest, dollar for dollar, I rather replace many consumable plastic parts with stock. And 7075 in the major areas works for me. CF Steering top plates don't make sense to me, for instance. And many CF parts don't fair too well with any direct impacts to objects, or the ground. It fractures and splinters. Rendered useless. Been there.
I never doubted the quality of your Brand. Just that CF is not new to me. And am very familiar with it.
My comment above was based on this. With no prejudice to your brand at all. Please know this.
And it is great that other Hobbyists have the choice to try your RC CF products for themselves. CF appears so very new to many.
BTW, You are one YT'er that I follow very closely.
And man can you send it.👍:)
:cool:
Steve R. C.

Cheers
^^^
The "False CF" made of soot you are referring to is Carbon Composite. And it has some potential as a material.
Just not to be confused with Carbo Fiber!

^^^
The "False CF" made of soot you are referring to is Carbon Composite. And it has some potential as a material.
Just not to be confused with Carbo Fiber!
No, I'm well aware of what Carbon Composite is, I too have experince with aramid fibers and resins. I got in touch with false "carbon fiber" plates made of soot.

I'm not referring to Basherqueen products at all, I was only explaining I know well not all the "carbon fiber" parts on the marked are the same or even true carbon fibers.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back