Carbon, fiber, inlay panels, mixed results

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilly81

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Granite
  3. Typhon 3s
I’ve been messing around with using carbon fiber cloth instead of fiberglass drywall tape underneath clear bodies. There are pros and cons, but it does look pretty sweet when it comes together. But since it is largely aesthetic, it Hass to look good, and it’s really hard to get it to look good in any sort of complex contours in the body.

So this time I tried isolating sections of the body to appear as carbon fiber panels. As the last step in painting, the final interior coat over, clear Lexan.

So far the most obvious findings are to use tamiya. Idk about people who can spray their own, but if you’re using rattle cans, the Tamiya stuff was not affected by shoe goo on top of it on the edges, where it overlaps. Whereas spaz sticks bubbled up where it has shoe goo on top. The white in this picture is Tamiya, and the blue is spaz sticks, which you can see peeling up around the little side intake scoops.

Ignore my sloppy lines. Not good luck with my first liquid Mask attempts. Going to try a different brand next time.

78DCE5F8-0220-40B1-9C13-3A8104BFA31A.jpeg

I’ve been messing around with using carbon fiber cloth instead of fiberglass drywall tape underneath clear bodies. There are pros and cons, but it does look pretty sweet when it comes together. But since it is largely aesthetic, it Hass to look good, and it’s really hard to get it to look good in any sort of complex contours in the body.

So this time I tried isolating sections of the body to appear as carbon fiber panels. As the last step in painting, the final interior coat over, clear Lexan.

So far the most obvious findings are to use tamiya. Idk about people who can spray their own, but if you’re using rattle cans, the Tamiya stuff was not affected by shoe goo on top of it on the edges, where it overlaps. Whereas spaz sticks bubbled up where it has shoe goo on top. The white in this picture is Tamiya, and the blue is spaz sticks, which you can see peeling up around the little side intake scoops.

Ignore my sloppy lines. Not good luck with my first liquid Mask attempts. Going to try a different brand next time.

View attachment 285464
Doesn't look that bad bud.use fine line tape next time so you'll get clean lines .I use pro stripe stuff is awesome.And you can fix the blue just go over it with the white.,😁👍

Here is a great way make your lines 100%.
After you tape, spray some Tamiya clear coat to seal the tape line. Ps-13 is the clear gloss and ps-55 is clear flat but honestly, I've used both for that purpose and haven't noticed any gloss or flat effects so I doubt it matters which one5o you get.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back