Carbon Fiber Sheets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TN-RC

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Vendetta
I was wondering if someone knows how carbon fiber is rated and where to get some sheets in the US?
The Basher Queen said see gets hers form Japan and it is 30MSI. I can find some 33msi but it is 3k and I know that the higher the K the stronger. She said to look for sheets on Amazon and I can find a sheet for $30, and yes it is real carbon fiber, but it is 3k (the lowest K rating) and 9 out of 10 do not give a MSI I would like to make some carbon fiber parts and want the quality the same as the parts you buy. Not cheap, $30 250x250x4mm sheet if you are going to get that much carbon fiber for that cheap it is going to be the lowest quality, but does that matter? It is still carbon fiber, but is it junk?
I am just asking for someone that knows about carbon fiber to give me some input.

I all I know is that much of the CF components I get for my Bicycles is 4k. Frames, forks, seat posts, and bars. 4K is the standard. And apparently Japan does have the best quality lay ups in their weaves. It will probably be trial and error with the quality. Can't hurt to try a sheet of 4mm 3k?

I all I know is that much of the CF components I get for my Bicycles is 4k. Frames, forks, seat posts, and bars. 4K is the standard. And apparently Japan does have the best quality lay ups in their weaves. It will probably be trial and error with the quality. Can't hurt to try a sheet of 4mm 3k?
I was thinking the same thing. maybe buying a BasherQuean part and copying it with the cheep stuff and then comparing them.
Can't hurt to try a sheet of 4mm 3k?
No.
Full send or no send

3k or 4k alone is not a determining factor on strength.
Not all carbon fiber is the same and many times the cheaper plates have fiberglass in the middle. You certainly have to look and read the details...

I have always used DragonPlate.com They are a bit pricey but have very good quality stuff.

They rate their high modulus plate at nearly 2.5x the strength of regular plate. They do provide MSI strength ratings.
From the twill page:
"Two different options are available in this sheet size: a 57 msi high modulus (HM) PAN carbon fiber, and a 110 msi ultra high modulus (UHM) Pitch carbon fiber. The benefit of the PAN carbon fiber is higher strength, whereas the pitch carbon fiber has higher stiffness, higher thermal conductivity, and lower thermal expansion (CTE nearly zero)."

https://dragonplate.com/High-Modulus-Carbon-Fiber-Sheets

Of course that level of strength and quality comes at a cost $$$$. You will have to determine how badly you need that strength. For me the regular economy plate has worked well.

I'm in the same boat as you. Love BasherQueens parts yet I feel I can customize my own with tweaks to suit my build a little better. I've been looking into this too. There is one company that seems to put out a better product than the Chinesium sheets. Look into Acer Racing carbon fiber. I'm waiting for them to put out more 3mm sheets. These are made in the US and seemed to be geared towards what we are doing.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B008LVLTYG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_1VFP5YGHEVRVW7KEK120

I'm in the same boat as you. Love BasherQueens parts yet I feel I can customize my own with tweaks to suit my build a little better. I've been looking into this too. There is one company that seems to put out a better product than the Chinesium sheets. Look into Acer Racing carbon fiber. I'm waiting for them to put out more 3mm sheets. These are made in the US and seemed to be geared towards what we are doing.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B008LVLTYG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_1VFP5YGHEVRVW7KEK120
3k or 4k alone is not a determining factor on strength.
Not all carbon fiber is the same and many times the cheaper plates have fiberglass in the middle. You certainly have to look and read the details...

I have always used DragonPlate.com They are a bit pricey but have very good quality stuff.

They rate their high modulus plate at nearly 2.5x the strength of regular plate. They do provide MSI strength ratings.
From the twill page:
"Two different options are available in this sheet size: a 57 msi high modulus (HM) PAN carbon fiber, and a 110 msi ultra high modulus (UHM) Pitch carbon fiber. The benefit of the PAN carbon fiber is higher strength, whereas the pitch carbon fiber has higher stiffness, higher thermal conductivity, and lower thermal expansion (CTE nearly zero)."

https://dragonplate.com/High-Modulus-Carbon-Fiber-Sheets

Of course that level of strength and quality comes at a cost $$$$. You will have to determine how badly you need that strength. For me the regular economy plate has worked well.
You may get composites/fabrics from this guy https://www.sollercomposites.com/. Our research group bought material from him before. I believe the owner can also answer your questions about material selection.
Thank you all you have helped me so much and i will check all the links and will be buying some carbon fiber soon.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back