Typhon Carbon fiber shock tower protection?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
Went with Basherqueen shock towers when I bent the stock towers on my Typhon. Didn't realize the abuse they take by not having a body that covers them and they are starting to look beat up and damaged around the edges. Are there any shock tower protectors out there? I've looked around and can't find anything.

Post some pics of said damage..

I can draft up some designs for tower skids/protectors and 3D print them.
If you want them, no obligations of course.

This is what I do instead of becoming a pro driver as suggested above...You can also use a material called kydex which you heat and mold it around what you are protecting.

0AC25F71-ECB0-49C5-9D6B-FF4649745FDB.jpeg

Went with Basherqueen shock towers when I bent the stock towers on my Typhon. Didn't realize the abuse they take by not having a body that covers them and they are starting to look beat up and damaged around the edges. Are there any shock tower protectors out there? I've looked around and can't find anything.
that's the trouble with the front shock tower on buggies they take a beating for sure

never had any luck with carbon fibre will stick with 7075 ali

I have some kydex but it might be too thick, I'll try it and get a thinner sheet if needed.
They aren't beat up too bad, just noticed they are getting noticeable wear.

View attachment 238871

View attachment 238872

Got it..
Looks like the CF is actually delaminating abit too..

What I had in mind is very similar what @Jimbobjr had created.. but will be 3D printed instead.
I'll post what I design later tonight.

BTW-
Since I don't own a Typhon 6S (at the moment)...
Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the tower (edge to edge width) or if another 6S model's shock tower is similar, so I can get the measurements off of.
Much Thanks.

Last edited:
How durable are those shock towers? Can't decide if I should go with those or m2c once I mess up my stock ones. I would love those, because it'd save me some weight and I like the look way more.

Figured they won't like being scraped over rough surfaces, but how do they hold up to hard hits? I'm sending my typhon real good, so that's my main concern.

@Tex Koder the stock ones are 70mm, but I'm not entirely sure the basher queen ones have the same dimensions. They atleast look the same tho..

Last edited:
How durable are those shock towers? Can't decide if I should go with those or m2c once I mess up my stock ones. I would love those, because it'd save me some weight and I like the look way more.

Figured they won't like being scraped over rough surfaces, but how do they hold up to hard hits? I'm sending my typhon real good, so that's my main concern.

@Tex Koder the stock ones are 70mm, but I'm not entirely sure the basher queen ones have the same dimensions. They atleast look the same tho..

Thank you.

Knowing what I do now, I would have just gone with the M2C towers. I was just trying to keep it light, but those towers are just so exposed. They have taken a few hard run ins with football sized rocks and tons of cartwheels and end over ends flips and managed those just fine, but as you can see they have taken a little damage which I'm sure will shorten the lifespan.

The Basherqueens shock towers are insanely durable. No knocking m2c as I run a bunch of m2c parts but imo I would recommend and with the Basherqueen due to the weight saving and strength of the carbon fiber parts. The only reason I go with m2c rear shock tower is since I run the m2c rear shock tower brace. To my knowledge unless you have a drill with the correct tools good luck drilling holes in that carbon fiber.

20220825_171740.jpg

20220825_171712.jpg

Here's what I have in mind for the Front CF shock tower Skid/Protector >
All dimensions are just from rough eyeballing..

1661481407051.png

1661481636823.png

It should just slip on from the back of the tower and held on either with the shock stud nut or some zip-ties thru them holes.
Extra meat are placed on the upper shoulders to provide more wear endurance..

Opinions/thoughts?

Last edited:
Hmmm, looks like it would protect it. Just wondering if it would be better for it to sit tightly against the top of the tower or if it having a small gap would be better. 🤷‍♂️

Hmmm, looks like it would protect it. Just wondering if it would be better for it to sit tightly against the top of the tower or if it having a small gap would be better. 🤷‍♂️

I would have it sit right up against it. That way the impact forces would get spread across a larger area along the top of the tower.

Carbon fiber is extremely strong but does not like sliding on pavement. The blue print above is very nice but I’d suggest having material on both sides of the tower captivating it. When you flip and hit the ground it will catch on the exposed lip and rip it off. Even if it’s toward the rear if you cart wheel and slide reverse it will still rip it off or at least bend it up. I’ve made several styles and a simple u shaped piece of aluminum or plastic utilizing the shock mounts works pretty good. I have made my own carbon towers for many vehicles and have never broke a single one.

Carbon fiber is extremely strong but does not like sliding on pavement. The blue print above is very nice but I’d suggest having material on both sides of the tower captivating it. When you flip and hit the ground it will catch on the exposed lip and rip it off. Even if it’s toward the rear if you cart wheel and slide reverse it will still rip it off or at least bend it up. I’ve made several styles and a simple u shaped piece of aluminum or plastic utilizing the shock mounts works pretty good. I have made my own carbon towers for many vehicles and have never broke a single one.

I'm guessing most of the tumbles and rollovers are happening when you're speeding forward... If you're worried about it catching then all you have to do is to mount it from the front of the tower, instead of the back.
The shocks would definitely hold it in place.

Post some pics of said damage..

I can draft up some designs for tower skids/protectors and 3D print them.
If you want them, no obligations of course.
I'd be very interested in one of these... I have BQ towers on my Typhon as well, and I cringe any time it goes belly up on pavement or concrete... I'd be glad to pay for your time and shipping

I'd be very interested in one of these... I have BQ towers on my Typhon as well, and I cringe any time it goes belly up on pavement or concrete... I'd be glad to pay for your time and shipping

Certainly, just PM me ,title- Typhon 6S Shock Tower Skids

and I'll add it to the print queue & make it happen.

I'm guessing most of the tumbles and rollovers are happening when you're speeding forward... If you're worried about it catching then all you have to do is to mount it from the front of the tower, instead of the back.
The shocks would definitely hold it in place.
If you think about it you crash both ways. Blow over at high speed the rear slides first tip over in a turn, front. Grass and dirt will want to get under it but your right it will probably be fine. That bevel will definately help. Cool project, the rear towers are exposed as well. Makes me want to get a printer...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back