Carbon fiber + Shoe Goo trials

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilly81

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Granite
  3. Typhon 3s
So I needed to replace my Granite body and had good luck durability wise with the drywall+shoe goo approach.

But I'm not too confident about how it works if you want to custom paint a clear body.

So I though it would be dope if I could use carbon fiber fabric instead of drywall tape. It does look pretty sweet at first test. My guess is that after some driving it will peel away from the lexan and look crappy, or possibly the shoe goo (actually using 'goop') will yellow. But it looks pretty dope to start, so I'm going to give it a shot. \

Carbon fiber cloth is 10x more of a pain in the butt to work with than fiberglass tape, so this is 100% purely for aesthetics! And it's definitely not perfect - very hard to get it bubble free. And don't bother if you aren't using a clear shell - it's no more durable than the fiberglass tape.

But here's me trying it tonight... will update with progress and durability.

IMG_0088.JPEG

IMG_0089.JPEG

@chilly81 Any more progress? I am curious how it worked out. 🤔

Yes I finished up my first body this way and posted some pics here
I think it turned out pretty good - not perfect show quality but I like it better than a stock paint job. I haven't had a chance to really run it yet though so the jury is still out on durability. It feels easily as tough as the normal fiber glass and shoe goo treatment though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back