Outcast Castle 1520 1650kv gearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayP.

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Outcast 8s
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Senton 3s
Does anyone run the 1650kv castle motor on 6s? I was planning on going to this motor with the mamba monster x esc, and keeping it on 6s. I mostly wanted to do this because it's capable of 8s, so I know it won't have any overheating issues on 6s. But I'm not really sure what gearing would be appropriate for this low of a kv motor on 6s (with a 50* tooth spur). I'm aiming for the 55-60mph range.

Last edited:
I run that on my Kraton 6S with a bunch of M2C parts and I absolutely love it. The gearing I run is 24/50 and it hauls butt, can’t give an exact speed as I don’t have a gps but if I had to guess I would say it’s in the 55-65 range. I have the YR twin motor fan an the temps stay in the 150 range after about 5 minutes of hard bashing.

I run that on my Kraton 6S with a bunch of M2C parts and I absolutely love it. The gearing I run is 24/50 and it hauls butt, can’t give an exact speed as I don’t have a gps but if I had to guess I would say it’s in the 55-65 range. I have the YR twin motor fan an the temps stay in the 150 range after about 5 minutes of hard bashing.
Thanks for the info, this gives me a good idea of what ratio I'd probably like to run with that motor. Temps seems pretty good too. I wasn't really planning on running any fans or a heatsink though, my outcast is basically stock, so it doesn't weigh a lot.
I have the 1717 motor with the MMX 8s ESC and I had no heat issues with a 19t. I’ve now stepped up to a 22t and I need a heat sink and fan to help keep the motor cool.
If I ever plan to go to 8s, I'll definitely have to look into the 1717. And a 22 tooth? You must be getting some rapid speed out of it on 8s.

watched an A Main video and the guy was running a Notorius on that same motor/esc combo with an 18T pinion. That thing was kicking azz. I just put that same combo in mine but waiting on other parts to get here so I can put it back together. I have a 14T, 18T and a 24T pinion to try it out on but I think the 18 is gonna be my sweet spot. Have a 21T but it's a safe-d pinion and won't fit on the motor shaft.

Thanks for the info, this gives me a good idea of what ratio I'd probably like to run with that motor. Temps seems pretty good too. I wasn't really planning on running any fans or a heatsink though, my outcast is basically stock, so it doesn't weigh a lot.

If I ever plan to go to 8s, I'll definitely have to look into the 1717. And a 22 tooth? You must be getting some rapid speed out of it on 8s.

I’m sorry I forgot to mention I’m running 6s and the standard EXB diff which I think is 43T.

watched an A Main video and the guy was running a Notorius on that same motor/esc combo with an 18T pinion. That thing was kicking azz. I just put that same combo in mine but waiting on other parts to get here so I can put it back together. I have a 14T, 18T and a 24T pinion to try it out on but I think the 18 is gonna be my sweet spot. Have a 21T but it's a safe-d pinion and won't fit on the motor shaft.
18t pinion seems like it would be a good choice, at least when comparing it to the gearing of the stock 2050kv motor.

Does anyone run the 1650kv castle motor on 6s? I was planning on going to this motor with the mamba monster x esc, and keeping it on 6s. I mostly wanted to do this because it's capable of 8s, so I know it won't have any overheating issues on 6s. But I'm not really sure what gearing would be appropriate for this low of a kv motor on 6s (with a 54 tooth spur). I'm aiming for the 55-60mph range.
You have a 54T Spur? Stock spur on the CD is 50T. If you have a 54T spur, then advice from others with 50T won't be of much value.

The 1717-1650 and the 1520-1650 should be very similar motors. They only made the 1520 to accommodate people who couldn't fit the larger diameter 1717 can. Generally speaking, they should perform the same with the same setups.

I have the 1717-1650 in my KEXB and run it on 6S with an 18T pinion and it is pretty fast. I have also ran it on 20T, but it got hot. I tried running fans but they just break. So I am just going to run the motor naked and stay at 18T or below.

I have the 1717 motor with the MMX 8s ESC and I had no heat issues with a 19t. I’ve now stepped up to a 22t and I need a heat sink and fan to help keep the motor cool.
The heat sink and fan from the 1/5 scale Kraton and Outcast fit the motor if its the big can. Its got the 50mm fan on it.

1617028066030.png

1617028087802.png

You have a 54T Spur? Stock spur on the CD is 50T. If you have a 54T spur, then advice from others with 50T won't be of much value.

The 1717-1650 and the 1520-1650 should be very similar motors. They only made the 1520 to accommodate people who couldn't fit the larger diameter 1717 can. Generally speaking, they should perform the same with the same setups.

I have the 1717-1650 in my KEXB and run it on 6S with an 18T pinion and it is pretty fast. I have also ran it on 20T, but it got hot. I tried running fans but they just break. So I am just going to run the motor naked and stay at 18T or below.
Ah I meant to say 50 tooth spur, not 54. I don't know why I thought it was a 54 tooth spur. And I know they're basically the same other than size, I just wanted to go for the 1520 because I feel like I wouldn't need the larger can. When you say it got hot, did you measure temps? Or was it just hot to touch?

Ah I meant to say 50 tooth spur, not 54. I don't know why I thought it was a 54 tooth spur. And I know they're basically the same other than size, I just wanted to go for the 1520 because I feel like I wouldn't need the larger can. When you say it got hot, did you measure temps? Or was it just hot to touch?
I have motor thermal cutoff set for 170F in the ESC and that kicks in often on a 20T. I can usually run for about 5 mins before it heats up.

I have motor thermal cutoff set for 170F in the ESC and that kicks in often on a 20T. I can usually run for about 5 mins before it heats up.
If that's the case, I might keep a 16t pinion in mind, since I already have one on hand. 170 isn't terrible though, I'm pretty sure these motors can handle up to 190 can't they?
I’m sorry I forgot to mention I’m running 6s and the standard EXB diff which I think is 43T.
I think that's only for the front and rear, I'm pretty sure the exb center diff is still a 50 tooth. I actually have a picture of the exb diff and stock one side by side, looks the same to me (other than my stock one being cruddy as all hell).

Attachments

• 20210328_182028.jpg
    20210328_182028.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
If that's the case, I might keep a 16t pinion in mind, since I already have one on hand. 170 isn't terrible though, I'm pretty sure these motors can handle up to 190 can't they?

I think that's only for the front and rear, I'm pretty sure the exb center diff is still a 50 tooth. I actually have a picture of the exb diff and stock one side by side, looks the same to me (other than my stock one being cruddy as all hell).
I think you could be safe up to 190F for short amounts of time, but I burn up too many motors as is so I try my best to keep them as cool as possible.

18t pinion seems like it would be a good choice, at least when comparing it to the gearing of the stock 2050kv motor.
Also do you know what video you watched? I'd be curious to check it out as well since I can't find any videos on an outcast/notorious running that motor and ESC combo. The motor seems like it might be a little too long to fit in the outcast. The side guard would have to be trimmed in the rear which isn't a big deal.

Last edited:
I'm also considering going 1520 also on my typhon, currently running 29/46 but soon installing 40t spur and up my pinion to 34t.

On 6s 2200 29/46 I hit 91 motor temps stayed cool for about 20min ripping around street bashing not bad I also have 2 40mm motor fans and 40mm esc fan

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back