Kraton Castle 1717 1650kv Cooling Option (Kraton EXB)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as long as the shroud is working as a heatsink it should help a lot but if the shroud itself isn’t absorbing and releasing heat it would be better with fans alone. Make the shroud aluminum, thick, with as much area touching the can as possible to suck the heat away.
Huh? A heatsink conducts heat, a shroud directs airflow... they are different things.

Also a heatsink does not "suck" heat... it just provides a larger surface area for that heat to be transferred to the air through convection. You want a heatsink to be thin with tons of surface area so it can dump the heat into the air as fast as possible so it doesn't build up. If it is thick it will actually provide resistance to heat transfer.

Huh? A heatsink conducts heat, a shroud directs airflow... they are different things.

Also a heatsink does not "suck" heat... it just provides a larger surface area for that heat to be transferred to the air through convection. You want a heatsink to be thin with tons of surface area so it can dump the heat into the air as fast as possible so it doesn't build up. If it is thick it will actually provide resistance to heat transfer.
That all makes sense. heatsinks/shrouds/fans aren’t my specialty, the heatsink on my 1717 is finned and thin aluminum but there are also 2 fans built into these aluminum block heatsinks attached to the fins. All I know is the two thick aluminum block fans reduce motor temperature by another 30 degrees F compared to only fans attached to the finned heatsink.
Being picky over terminology that is obvious to everyone what i mean is a bit narcissistic.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back