Castle 1717 took a dump

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LicketySplit

Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Outcast 6s
Was out front drifting and doing some donuts and running up and down the street. Monitoring my temps as usual since it's been converted from a speed run car to a street basher. Have the motor cutoff set to 180 degrees for safety. Running 23/44 gearing. My temp gun read 151 at the max. Pulled the logs from the XLX2 and during the whole session my amps maxed out at 175, and about the same the past few days. At the end when the motor lost power the log showed 380 amps and motor temp of 180.7, even though my gun didn't read that temp. It's hard to spin by hand now when i disengage the mesh. It still "works" but has no power and when you roll the car it's like a brake is on. Hope Castle doesn't screw me. I got it from my LHS so I gotta head there tomorrow and see what they can do and at least get my receipt for a warranty claim. This sucks. I was having fun destroying some GRP's.

Are TP motors rotors all wrapped in steel/metel/whatever they use? I took it apart and it has a weird smell. Looks like the Kevlar wrapping took a dump.
Yes TP uses a stainless steel housing not a Kevlar wrapped castle uses and epoxy to balance there rotor "the black stuff on the ends of the rotor" were TP drills in to the weighted end cap to balance them so it cant ever lose the epoxy and unbalance.

Biggest note with TP is you need to know how to find the continues amps of to motor so you can find what you ESC can handle because they list all there motors at Max Amp not C.Amp . And remember that there are few to none 6S arrma motor mounts that will take there V3 35mm bolt pattern can.

Yes TP uses a stainless steel housing not a Kevlar wrapped castle uses and epoxy to balance there rotor "the black stuff on the ends of the rotor" were TP drills in to the weighted end cap to balance them so it cant ever lose the epoxy and unbalance.

Biggest note with TP is you need to know how to find the continues amps of to motor so you can find what you ESC can handle because they list all there motors at Max Amp not C.Amp . And remember that there are few to none 6S arrma motor mounts that will take there V3 35mm bolt pattern can.
Well I have a PPS mount. I’m looking for M4 mount holes. Basically I’m looking for a similar performance motor just more reliable than that Kevlar wrapped crap. I was well within the parameters. Also, it needs to fit in the stock location. That’s my issue at the moment. Got a recommendation?

Well I have a PPS mount. I’m looking for M4 mount holes. Basically I’m looking for a similar performance motor just more reliable thank that Kevlar wrapped crap. I was well within the parameters. Also, it needs to fit in the stock location. That’s my issue at the moment. Got a recommendation?
Yeah personally only run TP motors on hobby wing ESC and there V2 can you can get on all most every motor and comes with a 30mm pattern for the larger block on the PPS mount. They make things in 25mm and smaller mounting but mostly in you less then 40xx size cans for 1/10 scale and smaller.

Am looking at a Max 5 with a 5670 1736 KV on 6s for my talion XL it has a TP 4070 1700KV 22Tp pinion 44T spur right now there xx107mm both and I want to push it more in long jump comps as the field gets tighter every year. Note I run a 30T pinion in the comps its single 15sec wide open rip then wait 20min for the field to run through.

Yeah personally only run TP motors on hobby wing ESC and there V2 can you can get on all most every motor and comes with a 30mm pattern for the larger block on the PPS mount. They make things in 25mm and smaller mounting but mostly in you less then 40xx size cans for 1/10 scale and smaller.

Am looking at a Max 5 with a 5670 1736 KV on 6s for my talion XL it has a TP 4070 1700KV 22Tp pinion 44T spur right now there xx107mm both and I want to push it more in long jump comps as the field gets tighter every year. Note I run a 30T pinion in the comps its single 15sec wide open rip then wait 20min for the field to run through.
I guess I didn't state this is in a Limitless. The 1717 is a perfect fit in the stock location. I was browsing TP's website and can't find anything similar that will fit.

I guess I didn't state this is in a Limitless. The 1717 is a perfect fit in the stock location. I was browsing TP's website and can't find anything similar that will fit.
The big thing to note is even if you don't get the warranty castle offers a discount to people with failed products so remember that.
Non-warranty Claims (Tier Two)
Repairs outside the warranty period or repairs that are necessary due to misuse, abuse, neglect, or incorrect wiring will be repaired at the current flat rate repair fee. Don't throw away your old speed control - all Castle Creations products have a core value!

Click here to process a non-warranty claim

Yeah no TP dos not offer a 4685 can closest thing would be a 4050 that 4081 or 6mm less around and same length and with out changing KV TP does not offer a motor in that size. You could go up to there 1950kv on 8s. Hobbywing has a 4685 1650kv that should be same size and every thing but sensorless.

Don't know if the options help or not but figure ill put them up there.

The big thing to note is even if you don't get the warranty castle offers a discount to people with failed products so remember that.
Non-warranty Claims (Tier Two)
Repairs outside the warranty period or repairs that are necessary due to misuse, abuse, neglect, or incorrect wiring will be repaired at the current flat rate repair fee. Don't throw away your old speed control - all Castle Creations products have a core value!

Click here to process a non-warranty claim

Yeah no TP dos not offer a 4685 can closest thing would be a 4050 that 4081 or 6mm less around and same length and with out changing KV TP does not offer a motor in that size. You could go up to there 1950kv on 8s. Hobbywing has a 4685 1650kv that should be same size and every thing but sensorless.

Don't know if the options help or not but figure ill put them up there.
Hobbywing is an option since it’s just a street basher. Everyone says they are better basher motors. Castle is an ESC company that just happens to sell motors.

Hobbywing is an option since it’s just a street basher. Everyone says they are better basher motors. Castle is an ESC company that just happens to sell motors.
I ran hobby wing before going to TP and never had a problem with them and still use there ESC as there ESC tend to be less picky about motor windings. The XLX2 has this https://home.castlecreations.com/bl...ory-sa2021-1-mamba-xlx2-and-mamba-monster-x8s saying not to use D wind motors with some of there ESC.

TP just have a little more kick IMO.

I ran hobby wing before going to TP and never had a problem with them and still use there ESC as there ESC tend to be less picky about motor windings. The XLX2 has this https://home.castlecreations.com/bl...ory-sa2021-1-mamba-xlx2-and-mamba-monster-x8s saying not to use D wind motors with some of there ESC.

TP just have a little more kick IMO.
Castle fixed that and many people run D winds now. What happened changes the dynamics of my new speed build. I may try the HW in this street basher but I think I’m gonna order the TP 5670 1270kv for the new build.

Castle fixed that and many people run D winds now. What happened changes the dynamics of my new speed build. I may try the HW in this street basher but I think I’m gonna order the TP 5670 1270kv for the new build.
You could run up to there 1400KV on 8s I'm looking at a 1736KV for a 6s.

Tp 5650 will fit in stock location but it's not an in stock size so you have to custom make it or order from rmamba on eBay will be a lil faster but lil more expensive. I actually ordered a 5650 1900kv to mess around with. It should absolutely poop on a castle or hw motor.

LOL this is why I set my castle motor temp cutoff to 160 and not 180. Taking zero chances 🤣

I’ve had many 1717 do this same thing. I do like that TP and the 1721 use a stainless steel band instead of a Kevlar wrap.
Yea I came across one of your threads from a couple years ago and saw the pics. Pretty much same thing happened to me.

Tp 5650 will fit in stock location but it's not an in stock size so you have to custom make it or order from rmamba on eBay will be a lil faster but lil more expensive. I actually ordered a 5650 1900kv to mess around with. It should absolutely poop on a castle or hw motor.

LOL this is why I set my castle motor temp cutoff to 160 and not 180. Taking zero chances 🤣
Linky link Found this one. Says V1. What’s that all about? I have a PPS mount. I’m looking for M4x30 mounting holes. This doesn’t specify.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back