Castle 1717 took a dump

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a basher running a 6 pole TP Power with a Hobby wing ESC then yes you can go higher KV....
For a speed runner with a XLX2 you cant go above 1450kv with a 6-pole motor. They have a bug in the castle control software that does not like 6 pole motors with higher KV under extreme loads. Under light loads it probably wouldn't be noticed.
Good to know I only run hobby wing ESC so I didn't know that I will keep it in mind for the future thanks for the info.

For a basher running a 6 pole TP Power with a Hobby wing ESC then yes you can go higher KV....
For a speed runner with a XLX2 you cant go above 1450kv with a 6-pole motor. They have a bug in the castle control software that does not like 6 pole motors with higher KV under extreme loads. Under light loads it probably wouldn't be noticed.
Do you know what the bug is exactly? like what happens.

I won’t be running anything higher than 1440kv on either on my XLX2
lol...don't tell me you have TP 5680 1440KV motor on the way too. Do you think our cars were twins in a former life?
joan of arc.gif

Do you know what the bug is exactly? like what happens.
It is an RPM sync issue where the ECS looses track of the motor based on back EMF from the motor.
I have not personally experienced it myself but it seems to be talked about enough places to be the truth.

Was out front drifting and doing some donuts and running up and down the street. Monitoring my temps as usual since it's been converted from a speed run car to a street basher. Have the motor cutoff set to 180 degrees for safety. Running 23/44 gearing. My temp gun read 151 at the max. Pulled the logs from the XLX2 and during the whole session my amps maxed out at 175, and about the same the past few days. At the end when the motor lost power the log showed 380 amps and motor temp of 180.7, even though my gun didn't read that temp. It's hard to spin by hand now when i disengage the mesh. It still "works" but has no power and when you roll the car it's like a brake is on. Hope Castle doesn't screw me. I got it from my LHS so I gotta head there tomorrow and see what they can do and at least get my receipt for a warranty claim. This sucks. I was having fun destroying some GRP's.
The armature let go. Garbage. Need a new one.

That should do well assuming you have some big pinions ;)
Its crazy how fast the $$$ adds up just for pinion gears from SAGA
Yeah, I was getting cold sweats thinking about it because, getting those to Germany would cost me $25-30 each. PLUS VAT. Fortunately I found an alternative in Sweden that are, I'm pretty confident, of equal quality but only cost between $8-13 each for sizes from 13T-49T respectively. They're proper solid hardened steel and are machined really nice.

lol my motor still hasn't shipped from TP, been over 30 days now. Feelsbad!!

Well that sucks. My in stock one arrived today. Big SOB. View attachment 219829View attachment 219830
Grats! Man tp really makes some amazing motors. I just bought a 4080cm from someone here in the classified section and that has to be the best motor I've ever touched in my life. Granted I haven't been in the hobby even a year yet but I have like 14 rigs so I've seen a few motors lol. I honestly can't believe how cool that motor runs and I'm crazy happy I took the chance and bought it on a whim. First motor I've had where I actually have to TRY and get it hot lol.

Grats! Man tp really makes some amazing motors. I just bought a 4080cm from someone here in the classified section and that has to be the best motor I've ever touched in my life. Granted I haven't been in the hobby even a year yet but I have like 14 rigs so I've seen a few motors lol. I honestly can't believe how cool that motor runs and I'm crazy happy I took the chance and bought it on a whim. First motor I've had where I actually have to TRY and get it hot lol.
The 2022KV? I have that one here, haven't used it yet though. I'm still plumbing the boundaries of my 1717 on 6S before I throw the TP in. What you're saying definitely sounds promising (y) 👌 💪

The 2022KV? I have that one here, haven't used it yet though. I'm still plumbing the boundaries of my 1717 on 6S before I throw the TP in. What you're saying definitely sounds promising (y) 👌 💪

Yessir the 2022kv, Originally, I tried it in my Talion and I was ripping up and down the street geared 25/46 and the motor literally wasn't breaking a sweat. I thought it was a bit heavy for the Talion though so I put it in my mojave with the same gearing and it still didn't break a sweet. I bought it without even knowing where I was going to put it but I think my mojave is the best place for it. I really love that motor lol, I'm pretty sure I had default timing too. It's D wind so you're supposed to put it on 0 but I think I forgot to do that and the temps where still awesome.

TP replacement on order. Gonna use a HW 1650kv for the time being until that comes.
TP usually sells the Armatures alone. Save some coin. As long as the Stator (Can) has NO damage.
Open that motor up to see what you got. Damage wise. Just an Arm. and 2 BB's would hopefully be all you need.
Especially if you are using $high$ end motors, your skills with opening them up, cleaning/lubing the BB's and maintaining them, or any type motor, is necessary. Get comfortable doing this.

TP usually sells the Armatures alone. Save some coin. As long as the Stator (Can) has NO damage.
Open that motor up to see what you got. Damage wise. Just an Arm. and 2 BB's would hopefully be all you need.
Especially if you are using $high$ end motors, your skills with opening them up, cleaning/lubing the BB's and maintaining them, or any type motor, is necessary. Get comfortable doing this.
I mean the TP is the replacement for the 1717.

Thinking about selling my brand new tp 4070 2080kv so I can buy a 5660 for my fireteam since the 4070 won't fit lol. I'm not sure why I need such a big tp motor in my fireteam when I already have a castle combo though. WTF is wrong with me lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back