Castle Creation "Cryo drive" ESC RPM matching.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a link to the video, the cogging noise is when I get back on throttle... This is at LOW speed too! Which is ridiculous... It did it at higher speeds as well.

It would cog when I would get off, then back on, yet if I crawled slowly through grass, it wouldn't cog whatsoever... It isn't even cogging, at low speed it seems like it is, but what it's trying to do is brake. I am running it sensored, sensorless it would do the exact same thing.
For sure something wrong and my guess is defective motor outputs on the ESC.

For sure something wrong and my guess is defective motor outputs on the ESC.
I honestly just want to see another person doing this same thing, getting on it, letting go, then getting back on the throttle at a lower speed to see if it does it.

I honestly just want to see another person doing this same thing, getting on it, letting go, then getting back on the throttle at a lower speed to see if it does it.
Ok next time out I will try it for you.

Since castle told me all their cryo drive ESCs exhibit this behavior, I don't understand why I'm not seeing this behavior at all in this Exocaged RC video... He's doing exactly what I was doing to cause that stuttering/braking to happen, on and off the throttle at different ranges, I can hear him get off of it completely and back on it a few times and it doesn't brake whatsoever during this entire run in the baseball diamond.

You might get more info from a longer video showing different ways it’s doing it at different speed. Just trying to help. Cause it looks like it’s just clogging badly to me, like your gears don’t mesh correctly too. Is your drag brake turned up/on? Maybe turn that off if it’s on

You might get more info from a longer video showing different ways it’s doing it at different speed. Just trying to help. Cause it looks like it’s just clogging badly to me, like your gears don’t mesh correctly too. Is your drag brake turned up/on? Maybe turn that off if it’s on
No drag brake, mesh was set perfectly. I have a video of it crawling through tall grass, exact same setup, no cogging. It isn't cogging, it just seems like it is at low speeds. It's actively applying the brakes to slow it down after I get back on the throttle. I CAN'T post anymore videos because I don't have the esc in my hands anymore, I'm trying to convince them that this IS an issue, and not standard behavior. If I don't they're going to send me the same unit back, and I'll just have the same issue... I did speed passes, and after letting off the throttle and getting back on it, it locked up all 4 tires for about half a second, then got back on the throttle. That shouldn't be considered normal behavior, who would buy an ESC that applies the BRAKES after you get back on the throttle.

No drag brake, mesh was set perfectly. I have a video of it crawling through tall grass, exact same setup, no cogging. It isn't cogging, it just seems like it is at low speeds. It's actively applying the brakes to slow it down after I get back on the throttle. I CAN'T post anymore videos because I don't have the esc in my hands anymore, I'm trying to convince them that this IS an issue, and not standard behavior. If I don't they're going to send me the same unit back, and I'll just have the same issue... I did speed passes, and after letting off the throttle and getting back on it, it locked up all 4 tires for about half a second, then got back on the throttle. That shouldn't be considered normal behavior, who would buy an ESC that applies the BRAKES after you get back on the throttle.
Maybe we could get @robert@castle in on this thread.

Maybe we could get @robert@castle in on this thread.
I'm trying to recall if he was one of the guys I talked to over the phone, if so he was adamant that this was normal and not an issue. Maybe it wasn't, it would be nice to have a rep from castle come and discuss this as well in the forum.

Quoting stuff their customer (tech) support say on the phone often isn't good PR either. Most often their tech knowledge is only superficial. They are experts in rma procedures. Robert stopped talking here, by order of head honcho, or just by his own choice. Certainly some castle product owner will still read up on what is being said of his product range...

Seeing your video, it's definitely acting up and castle should be able to replicate it. I got a XLX2 in my FG, setup for drifting so plenty of coasting and throttling and it's not showing this behavior. I am running a different motor though (SSS 5694).

My guess would be a faulty mosfet, one phase not activating would cause a braking/locking effect too. Does it always act the same (frequency of occurrence) and in in every condition (warm/after 5 min)?

Quoting stuff their customer (tech) support say on the phone often isn't good PR either. Most often their tech knowledge is only superficial. They are experts in rma procedures. Robert stopped talking here, by order of head honcho, or just by his own choice. Certainly some castle product owner will still read up on what is being said of his product range...

Seeing your video, it's definitely acting up and castle should be able to replicate it. I got a XLX2 in my FG, setup for drifting so plenty of coasting and throttling and it's not showing this behavior. I am running a different motor though (SSS 5694).

My guess would be a faulty mosfet, one phase not activating would cause a braking/locking effect too. Does it always act the same (frequency of occurrence) and in in every condition (warm/after 5 min)?
Yes, it happens in every condition, I did run it multiple times, I should've taken more videos. The "warm/after 5 min", if you're referring to temps, temperatures were actually OK, both on the ESC and motor. It would happen every run too, I took it out about 4 times before I just gave up with the thing and tore it back apart. Basically any time I got off the throttle and back on it would do it, at any speed. This is good though, I'm glad someone had some experience with similar driving and didn't have this behavior showing up in their setup. Makes me believe if I can convince them to send me a different unit I WON'T have this issue again.

I wasn't referring to high or odd temps of the esc specifically. More like if it had any time at all to warm up. If it's not like, plug in the battery, and it happens right away, big chance they will say it's good. (not saying their testing procedure is bad or anything)
Point is, if they can't replicate the issue, it won't be replaced. Any info that can help the test engineer is a good thing. And even tough you have all the right to be angry, customer support is your best friend. The 'this is normal behaviour' sounds like a employee who's shift is basically over...

I once had a problem with a bmw. It wouldn't start on the weirdest occasions and the dealer could not replicate/fix it. In the end it was a camshaft sensor telling the computer it was already running. But the sensor worked fine as long as it wasn't between 35-45C, below or higher it would function normally.

But you already mentioned, it would happen every run in every condition. Replicating it would not be the issue. Convincing them that it's not normal behavior is, apparently.

I wasn't referring to high or odd temps of the esc specifically. More like if it had any time at all to warm up. If it's not like, plug in the battery, and it happens right away, big chance they will say it's good. (not saying their testing procedure is bad or anything)
Point is, if they can't replicate the issue, it won't be replaced. Any info that can help the test engineer is a good thing. And even tough you have all the right to be angry, customer support is your best friend. The 'this is normal behaviour' sounds like a employee who's shift is basically over...

I once had a problem with a bmw. It wouldn't start on the weirdest occasions and the dealer could not replicate/fix it. In the end it was a camshaft sensor telling the computer it was already running. But the sensor worked fine as long as it wasn't between 35-45C, below or higher it would function normally.

But you already mentioned, it would happen every run in every condition. Replicating it would not be the issue. Convincing them that it's not normal behavior is, apparently.
Yeah, I don't get why they keep saying it's normal, no rc car I've every driven has had an issue like this, plus, who would want to buy an ESC where that is normal behavior... And alright I understand now, I just wasn't sure. It never got any better as the run continued on, it was always just as bad, beginning to end. It's really unfortunate, I've had my outcast 8s exb for over 3 months now, and I've only gotten to run it 4 times, I just want to use my rc car 🤷, yet they're preventing me from doing that. I feel like the way they test bench their ESCs wouldn't allow them to even see the issue, they need to run it in a vehicle to see.

Data logs could only reveal this if what you say is true. I am sure if CC actually tested it, it wasn't in a rig of course. They use a PC link and aux power on the bench.. And read the logs. In a perfect world. Please post logs of various passes, slow and high speed. If you can see the issue in the logs, and point CC to this, they have to step up their game. A graph would show what you are describing IMO. Could even be a Sensor lead/port issue. Yet you stated you removed the sensor lead at one point , Right??? True sensorless being with No Sensor lead to the motor.

Last edited:
Data logs could only reveal this if what you say is true. I am sure if CC actually tested it, it wasn't in a rig of course. The use a PC link and aux power. And read the logs. In a perfect world. Please post logs of various passes, slow and high speed.
They told me to run the vehicle to build up a data log, so I did. I didn't personally save it. Again, when I initially called they thought there was something wrong with it as well. So I didn't even think I'd have to go through all of this trouble just to prove there's an issue with it. I should've thought ahead, but it was so apparent to me that something was wrong, I didn't think I'd have this much resistance. I did what they asked me to do, I ran it, took a video of the issue, sent it in, elaborated on the issue, ECT... I don't know what else to do, other than getting a new unit and seeing if I have the same issue again.

Getting another ESC is an expensive propositon to elimate a possible cause of this.
Start creating some logs and save them for download. What I would do at this juncture. All you can do to prove your point. I believe what you are describing. What it is, I just don't know. Seems like a hiccup somewhere.:LOL:

Getting another is an expensive propositon to elimate a possibel cause of this.
Start creating some logs and save them for download. What I would do at this juncture. All you can do to prove your point. I believe what you are describing. What it is, I just don't know. Seems like a hiccup somewhere.:LOL:
Castle already believes the data logs showed no issues (the ones created from me driving) so what good would it do me? I'm trying to convince them, and if they see nothing wrong, there is nothing wrong. Again, the ESC is in their hands at the moment, I am going to email them the video as evidence of this issue, alongside the thread discussing it. The people here clearly believe this is an issue, and it's coming from people that own the same ESC. That should tell them it isn't normal behavior.

If we can see the logs here it may help with a few differnt eyes.

If we can see the logs here it may help with a few differnt eyes.
That is a good point, again I wish I still had them, but I don't think I downloaded them onto my laptop. I will check just in case to see, and if I do have them I'll post them, if not I can't do much about it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back