Kraton castle creations 1520 1y 1650 opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it will fit the stock Motor mount having a 1 inch screw hole spacing for the stock MM. Check your MM against this. Accepts M3 and M4 screws. Description says it will fit also. This according to the spec sheet measurements.
I imagine 18T-22T pinion is a start. ( 1650kv) I don't have this motor. I'll let others chime in with what they think.

Thanks for the reply SrC! I hope this will be a good replacement. It meets my battery requirements any way. It can do 3S to 8S of which I am primarily interested in a single 4S or 2 3S. I have seen the 1717-1650 mentioned but it only states as a 8S in it's battery requirements. Diffs on this 6S BLX need repairing almost every time I Run 6S as it is. Time to start looking for some hardened gears I guess.

Nothing wrong with the 1520, it's just more suitable as a 1:10 2s-4s SCT motor. For 6s service, 1717 makes better sense.

1:10 ok but anything bigger overheating easily I had one in typhon and magnets disintegrated
And I didn't abused I think this was my second test run then I got replacement I run for two weeks again same happen gear 16/50 should run like dream I changed to hobbywing and I abuse this for months and no issues then in my case was waste of money
In mojave I had one as 1717 wasn't available same happen change to motor from xo1 1717 not sensored and run as well nicely
Enjoy

Thanks for the reply SrC! I hope this will be a good replacement. It meets my battery requirements any way. It can do 3S to 8S of which I am primarily interested in a single 4S or 2 3S. I have seen the 1717-1650 mentioned but it only states as a 8S in it's battery requirements. Diffs on this 6S BLX need repairing almost every time I Run 6S as it is. Time to start looking for some hardened gears I guess.
If you're seriously "repairing" diffs on almost every outing, the motor is the least of your concerns. I'd address that first.

I ran a 1717 1650 and a TP4060 1750 in my Kraton with a Robinson 20T pinion. She was nasssssssssty! 4s all day long no fans, no heat, no ----s given. 6s did require a 30mm fan, heatsink, and some thermal tape. You will over heat on 6s with a 20T pinion if you're wide open from start to finish. Both combos were good on 6s for double standing backflips.

Get a 1717 or something else. That 1520 will probably be anemic. I had numerous 1717s eat themselves. 3 to be exact. That might just be my misfortune but they are pretty stout. I could easily control the 4060 as well as I could the sensored 1717......which was odd, but a nice surprise.

Last edited:
1st let me say I’m a long time Castle user, currently have a 2028 & several Castle esc so I’m far from a hater but i wouldn’t buy either 1 of them. You can get a better motor for less $ from TP power

1st let me say I’m a long time Castle user, currently have a 2028 & several Castle esc so I’m far from a hater but i wouldn’t buy either 1 of them. You can get a better motor for less $ from TP power
Yes in deed i have tp cc and surpass hobby all of them fail soon or later

And as I said yesterday I just overdue on 1717 xo1 motor in Mojave on 8s and poop happen I just burn the thing. unfortunately you can't buy just the rotor this is ridiculous
I measured and order magnets I did this before
I do wrap myself with Kevlar fishing line and balanced on turbocharger shaft balancer so far works for me :)

IMG_20210926_141220.jpg

I use castle sensored 1520 1650kv in my 6s kraton all the time. It runs better on 6S than the 1515 2200kv and with gearing for same speed stays cool to the touch around 100F. I use mine with 46T spur 20T pinion. Use the 46 spur for more space to slide pinion. Power and torque is about 3/5 better improvement than the 1717. But is easier on the drivetrain for sure

I use castle sensored 1520 1650kv in my 6s kraton all the time. It runs better on 6S than the 1515 2200kv and with gearing for same speed stays cool to the touch around 100F. I use mine with 46T spur 20T pinion. Use the 46 spur for more space to slide pinion. Power and torque is about 3/5 better improvement than the 1717. But is easier on the drivetrain for sure
I don't know how you do it when I flat out few times even in typhon this get really hot what settings you use in mmx

I don't know how you do it when I flat out few times even in typhon this get really hot what settings you use in mmx
I use the castle MMX8S plus I have 3 heat sinks and 2 high volume fans. My center diff gets up to 230F. Might put a fan on it. I can run my kraton with the 1520 on speed gearing for bashing for an entire 6S 5000mAh graphene with 220+ amp draw at times

I use the castle MMX8S plus I have 3 heat sinks and 2 high volume fans. My center diff gets up to 230F. Might put a fan on it. I can run my kraton with the 1520 on speed gearing for bashing for an entire 6S 5000mAh graphene with 220+ amp draw at times
You center diff heats up and motor not I have two high speed server fan on it but no heat sink I have to install one on with thermal paste that may help
And where you have 3 heat sinks send picture

You center diff heats up and motor not I have two high speed server fan on it but no heat sink I have to install one on with thermal paste that may help
And where you have 3 heat sinks send picture
Technically 4. Small one on the front, the finned cylinder heatsink and the 2 block/fan heatsinks

image.jpg

image.jpg

The hottest I have seen in my logs is 140F doing speedruns for 2 packs. The MMX8S stays warmer than the motor at 140-150 tops lol. The two heatsink fans soak up so much heat
1:10 ok but anything bigger overheating easily I had one in typhon and magnets disintegrated
And I didn't abused I think this was my second test run then I got replacement I run for two weeks again same happen gear 16/50 should run like dream I changed to hobbywing and I abuse this for months and no issues then in my case was waste of money
In mojave I had one as 1717 wasn't available same happen change to motor from xo1 1717 not sensored and run as well nicely
Enjoy
There was more going on than just the motor, my 1520 1650kv is throwing my 16lb kraton like a rag doll and 90mph speedruns at half throttle for shiz and giggles. And it could do that before the heatsinks and fans. It would have to get ~240F to fry the magnets and internals

Last edited:
Technically 4. Small one on the front, the finned cylinder heatsink and the 2 block/fan heatsinks

View attachment 172245

View attachment 172246
The hottest I have seen in my logs is 140F doing speedruns for 2 packs. The MMX8S stays warmer than the motor at 140-150 tops lol. The two heatsink fans soak up so much heat

There was more going on than just the motor, my 1520 1650kv is throwing my 16lb kraton like a rag doll and 90mph speedruns at half throttle for shiz and giggles. And it could do that before the heatsinks and fans. It would have to get ~240F to fry the magnets and internals
This is one heatsink I use this on my infraction still heats up more then you write
90mph with kraton and 140f/ 60celsius
Good one
Maybe when 10celsius outside I can get it temps like that on cold day
I use server fast fans not this small things and still can't get what you getting
No comments

This is one heatsink I use this on my infraction still heats up more then you write
Good one
I use server fast fans not this small things and still can't get what you
N
Good one
I use server fast fans not this small things and still can't get what you getting
No comments
You asked for pictures, there you go. That’s your problem if you don’t believe someone else is better than your half ass attempts that don’t even work anyway. You probably bought a knock off. There is no way a 1520 should overheat in a typhon with or without heatsinks and fans unless you completely fuked with settings that you shouldn’t with that specific motor (there are several).

You asked for pictures, there you go. That’s your problem if you don’t believe someone else is better than your half ass attempts that don’t even work anyway. You probably bought a knock off. There is no way a 1520 should overheat in a typhon with or without heatsinks and fans unless you completely fuked with settings that you shouldn’t with that specific motor (there are several).
Half ass attempt hahaha
They overheat in any of my rigs
And be honest I don't believe you that this motor doesn't overheat on 90 mph runs with kraton
I use settings for motor but I can see as you call one heatsink four
That simply answer my questions when you mix up one with four can't count 😂😂😂😂
Yes I fiked up many motors in my life simply just overdue them and they fail
And you fresh and getting temps from where
I don't know but if I run full 6s 5000 the motor is hot as fiddlestick if I get 8s the motor will die 5000 without stopping no chance I tested heatsinks etc but stories you give is full of poop man like you

The red one the motor mounts to, the cylindrical finned heatsink and the two fans each with a heatsink attached. One two three and four. Still doesn’t change the fact it works and drops temps up to 80F if needed
You’re doing something wrong that is making your motors heat up more than they should. I don’t need my engineering degree to know that you saying “it overheats no matter what you put it in” is a person blaming their tools for their lack of skill. You need to go back to the basics. Don’t bother replying but take that advice and you’ll fix you’re problem.

Last edited:
The red one the motor mounts to, the cylindrical finned heatsink and the two fans each with a heatsink attached. One two three and four. Still doesn’t change the fact it works and drops temps up to 80F if needed
You’re doing something wrong that is making your motors heat up more than they should. I don’t need my engineering degree to know that you saying “it overheats no matter what you put it in” is a person blaming their tools for their lack of skill. You need to go back to the basics. Don’t bother replying but take that advice and you’ll fix you’re problem.
You know what
Answering to you is like talking with I d I o t never win why because he will drag you to his level and beat with his own experience 🤣🤣🤣🤣
4 heatsink and engine mount as well omg
Thermodynamics adding block of metal add heat capacity doesn't mean to remove hahaha good perspective I like you for this one
Enjoy
If I flat out whole 6s always overheat if 8s it will die 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back