Castle Creations BEC 2.0 Issue with Kraton v3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, disconnecting the red wire does accomplish the exact same thing as the harness. But with the harness the esc remains factory. If you clip the red wire and and the esc fails and send it in for warranty, they can always come back and say that clipping that wire caused the failure. Chances are slim but I see it as leaving a door open for them to reject the claim.
True if you cut the lead off. But if you simply unplug the red wire from the black plug and tape it up you wouldn't have to worry about warranty issues.
And correct me if I'm remembering wrong but doesn't the factory bec bug out occasionally and short out people's electronics?
It actually might be even safer to not use the harness if that was the case, no?

The servo can draw 3 or more amps and using the wiring harness feeds all the power directly to the servo. The wiring harness also allows you to use any receiver, since it's being powered by the ESC. So the servo can get 7.4V from the external BEC and the receiver can get 6.0V from the ESC.

Without the harness, you do need to disconnect the red wire from the ESC male plug that goes into the receiver. You don't need to cut it, you can just use a small flat blade screwdriver to release the metal connector from the plug.

Either set up will work fine, I just prefer to power the servo directly in the same way the motor is powered directly from the ESC. I don't see the need to have any extra power going to the receiver when it only needs 500 mA or less to operate correctly.

Brian

I think the receiver is capable of 8+ volts
And without programming the bec to run at 7.4 it comes stock running at 5.5 I think.
The servo can only get the full amount of volts by programming the bec and not by just using the harness. Please correct me if I'm wrong

Your correct. I assumed that you had it set the BEC to 7.4V based on a previous post of yours that I read.

Brian

True if you cut the lead off. But if you simply unplug the red wire from the black plug and tape it up you wouldn't have to worry about warranty issues.
And correct me if I'm remembering wrong but doesn't the factory bec bug out occasionally and short out people's electronics?
It actually might be even safer to not use the harness if that was the case, no?
But even if you cut the red wire and tape it, it still isn't "factory" so they could refuse to honor a warranty based on it. They may or may not do that but I don't want to take that chance. So I use a harness over modifying the esc.

Yes, some people have had issues with the bec going out and taking other electronics with it, but cutting the wire or running the harness will have the same exact result with the electronics since they do the exact same thing.

But even if you cut the red wire and tape it, it still isn't "factory" so they could refuse to honor a warranty based on it. They may or may not do that but I don't want to take that chance. So I use a harness over modifying the esc.

Yes, some people have had issues with the bec going out and taking other electronics with it, but cutting the wire or running the harness will have the same exact result with the electronics since they do the exact same thing.
I didn't cut it.
I removed it aka "unclipped" it from the black plug and taped it down so it wouldn't come into contact with anything.
My apologies if I typed "cut" earlier but I really thought I typed unclipped

I didn't cut it.
I removed it aka "unclipped" it from the black plug and taped it down so it wouldn't come into contact with anything.
My apologies if I typed "cut" earlier but I really thought I typed unclipped
I must have missed where you said that you unplugged it or unclipped it and assumed that you meant cut it, since that's what most people do. I apologize for that.

I guess the point that I was trying to make was that you need to stop the red wire on the esc from getting to the receiver, whether you cut it, unplug it or use a harness. Sorry about the confusion.

I must have missed where you said that you unplugged it or unclipped it and assumed that you meant cut it, since that's what most people do. I apologize for that.

I guess the point that I was trying to make was that you need to stop the red wire on the esc from getting to the receiver, whether you cut it, unplug it or use a harness. Sorry about the confusion.
No worries. So no matter what that red wire needs to be disconnected whether using the harness or not.
Yes?
So then I'm lost as to what the benefit of the harness is. I guess I'm just missing it

The red wire on the ESC male plug stays with the wiring harness. The main benefit to using the wiring harness is all the power goes directly to the servo which isolates the receiver from the extra amps. It's also plug and play and you can use pretty much any receiver. If you were to buy a different radio down the road that comes with a receiver that is only rated at 6.0 volts, then it will most likely blow if aren't using the wiring harness and forget to turn down the external BEC to 6.0 volts.

Brian

No worries. So no matter what that red wire needs to be disconnected whether using the harness or not.
Yes?
So then I'm lost as to what the benefit of the harness is. I guess I'm just missing it
The only benefits that I know of is that it truly is plug and play and you don't need to unclip the wire or cut it. Also, I normally leave the connector for the servo to the harness outside of the receiver box so that if I ever need to replace the servo I don't need to go into the receiver box.

The red wire from the ESC male plug stays with the wiring harness. The main benefit to using the wiring harness is all the power goes directly to the servo and it also isolates the receiver from the extra amps.

Brian
So you're saying with the harness you keep the red wire in the black plug from esc??

Do the extra amps effect even effect the receiver as it's capable of them anyways??

The only benefits that I know of is that it truly is plug and play and you don't need to unclip the wire or cut it. Also, I normally leave the connector for the servo to the harness outside of the receiver box so that if I ever need to replace the servo I don't need to go into the receiver box.
Sorry but you are confusing me a little bit as you just said this in the post above which says to remove the red wire and here in this post you are saying plug and play.

" I guess the point that I was trying to make was that you need to stop the red wire on the esc from getting to the receiver, whether you cut it, unplug it or use a harness."

So you're saying with the harness you keep the red wire in the black plug from esc??

Do the extra amps effect even effect the receiver as it's capable of them anyways??

Yes, you keep the red wire from the ESC since that's what powers the receiver. Without the harness, you 100% need to remove the red wire.

Some SAVOX servos can pull 3+ amps which is a lot to send through the receiver, it may or not ever be an issue.

Either way will work fine, I just prefer using the wiring harness and some just use the external BEC by itself. It's not like one way is wrong or the other way is right. Just two different options and you can pick the one that best suits your preferences.

Brian

Yes, you keep the red wire from the ESC since that's what powers the receiver. Without the harness, you 100% need to remove the red wire.

Some SAVOX servos can pull 3+ amps which is a lot to send through the receiver, it may or not ever be an issue.

Either way will work fine, I just prefer using the wiring harness and some just use the external BEC by itself. It's not like one way is wrong or the other way is right. Just two different options and you can pick the one that best suits your preferences.

Brian

Thank you!
OK so my options are... use harness and possibly fry my electronics with my factory esc bec or
No harness and fry receiver only with high Amps from castle bec.
Got it lol.
Sounds like a coin flip.

Last edited:
I wonder if the issue with the factory ESC BEC is more to do with using an aftermarket servo with it that draws too many amps for the BEC.

Do you know of any cases where the stock servo was being used and the electronics got fried with the factory ESC BEC? or do all the cases involve using an aftermarket servo?

Brian

I wonder if the issue with the factory ESC BEC is more to do with using an aftermarket servo with it that draws too many amps for the BEC.

Do you know of any cases where the stock servo was being used and the electronics got fried with the factory ESC BEC? or do all the cases involve using an aftermarket servo?

Brian
Good question. I can say I just read someone posted a savox got toasted by factory bec but I'm not 100% if it's happened with stock servo.

Last edited:
Coincidentally, I just watched some Youtube on this and Holmes Hobbies just said, you need the red wire to be plugged back up if you ever need to reprogram the speed control. DON'T cut it off. I just ordered a CC-BEC WP 2.0 which includes a free receiver bypass. I will definitely use it to power the receiver with the stock ESC and the new servo will run straight off BEC.

(So imagine the receiver red wire was installed and not taped off going into the receiver)

Where does this castle bec wire in my hand go? Is the red wire on it a power?

With the wiring harness, the lead in your hand isn't used. The Castle BEC has dual outputs which might be needed if you were powering more than just one servo such as a Crawler with extra add-on accessories.

The wiring is correct in the picture without the wiring harness.

Brian

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back