Kraton Castle Creations has lost a customer for life.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w4rwf

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Hi all! Not trying to tussle any ones feathers here. Just want to describe my experience with a Castle Creations setup on my 6S blx. I purchased the mmx 8S and the 1650kv motor. They were purchased separately but they also come as a combo. Tells me they should be made for each other. Anyway, put the system in and was immediately having radio glitch errors that would shut the system down until a restart and/or having over current issues with the esc. While on the phone with tech support and doing what he was telling me to do the motor shaft broke internally. Ok, so tech tells me to send the motor back and they will repair it. I told him I was sending the esc back also for them to check it out. Motor came back repaired and esc came back with a clean bill of health. I was running an 18T pinion. So fast forward a few weeks and have done little driving with it due to other issues. Less than three battery packs and that's pushing it. So the esc was not giving me any battery cell count beeps at startup after getting it back from Castle or error codes. I put a 16T pinion on the motor when I put it back into the system. Yesterday, after other issues being resolved, I ran the car in the yard for a few minutes and it ran great. So I packed it all up and went to the park to do some running/playing. The car moved maybe 700 feet and the wheels locked up. WTF! So I get it back home and the motor is completely locked up. So out comes the Castle motor and I stick the original Spektrum motor back into it with a 14T pinion. Put a battery in so I can drive it around the yard. Don't have any 3S or 6S batteries so I stuck in a 4S battery, 5 minutes maybe into it the car stops. Over current errors. With a 4S battery. Motor can temps as checked with an IR gun were a max of 124 degrees.

I would go back to the stock Spektrum ESC but grew tired of that ESC eating too many expensive batteries for lunch by running them down too low. Got 4 battery packs that esc has eaten and 2 more that are no longer healthy over that pos esc.

So, I am forever done with Castle Creations and will probably go with a Hobbywing combo.

Thanks for letting me vent and I am not trying to convince anybody too not buy Castle Creations. Just putting my experience out there for others too consider when making future purchases to upgrade there systems.

XAkjviN.gif

Did you pull the data logs to diagnose the over current problem?

Did you pull the data logs to diagnose the over current problem?
Not yet! I will check it tomorrow. Had enough of it for this evening.
Seems as though a couple of the CC fanboys got there butts rubbed a little raw over some criticism of there favorite hardware. I did state right up front that it wasn't intended to offend the CC fanboys. Oh well. hope they have had good luck with there stuff.

Oh, happy you were able to catch that English mistake. Always glad to know someone is around to correct mistakes when there is a problem with the spelling in a sentence. Doesn't help worth a dime when someone is having a problem. But I wasn't asking for help. Just making a statement. But, glad you caught that though. Johnny on the spot.

Thought we were all just venting here. Just doing my part. If you do have a question which I can answer, I will always try.

Not yet! I will check it tomorrow. Had enough of it for this evening.
Seems as though a couple of the CC fanboys got there butts rubbed a little raw over some criticism of there favorite hardware. I did state right up front that it wasn't intended to offend the CC fanboys. Oh well. hope they have had good luck with there stuff.
Yeah...,.this hobby is weird.....out of 100 rigs or motors or esc's, 99 will be fine but watch out for number 100.....all brands have the occasional lemon.....whether it's Ar###, Tr#####, L###, Ca####, well, you get my point.....
The reason I chose Arrma as a brand for my entry into radio control rigs is that it had the reputation to be pretty rugged and, compared to other brands durable. Castle creations have a lot of followers and have had lots of good experiences with their products and the occasional lemon. Sorry this is happening to you, be glad that you have choices and options. I will keep accounts like this in mind when I have problems with something that has been proven reliable to others. Do yourself a favor and go out and get yourself a different setup and take it out and let her rip, okay!!?!!

Sorry to hear your troubles. I run that esc in my 30+ pound K8s and it throws it around like a rag doll. I don't run the castle motor though...Not sure about that over current error, could it be over drawing the batteries?

You might be able to up the lvc on the spectrum to 3.6v. (High setting) I don't have one in front of me so lm not sure if it has that option like the full blown hobbywing max8 does. Theres nothing wrong with the stock set up in the k6s rtr. Perfect weight for its suspension.

Thanks guys! Yeah, for me anyway it is time to stick another setup in there and move on. And to Jimbobjr, the spektrum esc that came in my car does not allow you too change the LVC, not even with a programmer. I guess that option was programmed out of it in the firmware.

And to Jimbobjr, the spektrum esc that came in my car does not allow you too change the LVC, not even with a programmer. I guess that option was programmed out of it in the firmware.
I see, I was hoping you could bump it up. You could also run a lipo alarm and set it to what you like, they're pretty cheap.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back