Castle Creations Mamba Monster X issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiTris ExtremeRC

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Fireteam
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Outcast 4s
  6. Vorteks
So I was driving my MT410 the other day and suddenly the car stopped. Everything still works great except forward and reverse. It's like it's cogging but on an extreme level.
It's doing the same thing sensored and sensorless. Caps also seem to be fine.
Maybe someone has an idea what's causing this problem. @robert@castle

Here's a video with 100% throttle input both forward and reverse:

Motor or ESC issue. obviously. You say the caps are ok on the ESC? The caps will pop at the top as designed when they fail. Also tear down the motor. inspect the arm., relube/ replace bearings while you are in there. Check all your wire leads real close. Use a DVM and check for low IR's/continuity.
Try resetting the ESC, then recalibrate the Radio to the ESC.
Use a DVM to test your ESC FET's.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/testing-your-blx-esc-that-appears-bricked.22054/
Have a go at it.
Hopefully others may chime in.
@robert@castle may even help further?:cool:

Motor or ESC issue. obviously. You say the caps are ok on the ESC? The caps will pop at the top as designed when they fail. Also tear down the motor. inspect the arm., relube/ replace bearings while you are in there. Check all your wire leads real close. Use a DVM and check for low IR's/continuity.
Try resetting the ESC, then recalibrate the Radio to the ESC.
Use a DVM to test your ESC FET's.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/testing-your-blx-esc-that-appears-bricked.22054/
Have a go at it.
Hopefully others may chime in.
@robert@castle may even help further?:cool:
Thanks for the in-depth reply :). It's definitely the ESC. I checked the motor with another MMX. I could try reseting it, but I'm pretty sure it won't do much.
I will try it right now and let you know if it fixed the problem.

I've seen something similar elsewhere on YT.. iirc on that occasion the motor was only getting 2 of the 3 phases.

Keep us posted.

So I've done a factory reset and as expected it's still doing the weird cogging. I checked the Data logs and there was some weird stuff on there. It said my max voltage was 33V. This is a 6s ESC and the max motor temperature was 305°C / 581°F :D. Well that can't be right. Other than that everything was normal.

Try updating the firmware to the same version you are on. Sometimes the firmware gets corrupted on the ESC and needs to be programmed to the chip again.

Try updating the firmware to the same version you are on. Sometimes the firmware gets corrupted on the ESC and needs to be programmed to the chip again.
I've also updated the firmware but this issue still occurs. I contacted the hobby shop where I bought it now, I probably have to send it back to them.

This was what my MM2 Retro was doing to any motor I used. Ended up trading it in for a MMX8S. Mine ended up losing the ability to do the chirps at startup. I see yours still works that much.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back