Castle ESC Survived

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian65

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave EXB
  2. Typhon 3s
Bought brand new Castle SW4. Installed EC5 connector which I had just soldered up to a 2S pack not realizing I had reversed the wires into EC5 plug. Plugged into new ESC and pop & smoke. I got another battery & connected it to check ESC & unbelievably it still works. Battery tested good but have not used it since correcting the wires.

You might have blown out some of the electrolytic caps. They tend to let the smoke out when the polarity is reversed. The ESC will function without them but performance may be degraded.

How does it run?

You might have blown out some of the electrolytic caps. They tend to let the smoke out when the polarity is reversed. The ESC will function without them but performance may be degraded.
Bought 22s Camaro as a roller. Don't have tires for it yet but bench running it seems almost 100%. I say 'almost' because when pinning throttle hard motor spins slowly backwards even tho I have reverse locked out. It does this about every 10-15 times. It responds to tuning changes with my castle link. Fwrd/rev/brake works and rev lockout. Going to put a set of Slash tires on tomorrow (LOL) to see how it responds. Dark out now

Bought 22s Camaro as a roller. Don't have tires for it yet but bench running it seems almost 100%. I say 'almost' because when pinning throttle hard motor spins slowly backwards even tho I have reverse locked out. It does this about every 10-15 times. It responds to tuning changes with my castle link. Fwrd/rev/brake works and rev lockout. Going to put a set of Slash tires on tomorrow (LOL) to see how it responds. Dark out now
You might try recalibrating the ESC.

I did that. ESC is now dead. Nothing like toasting a brand new $80 ESC. Oh well. Only money
That sucks. But rest assured we have all done things to clean our our wallet before.

You might call Castle, tell them what happened and see if there is something they can do. I wouldn't expect a replacement but maybe they can discount a new one.

Sorry for the bad news there, we have all been there (at least I think we have ;) ).

Sure makes you paranoid on the next go around though.
Hook up a max6 wrong and it barely burned :LOL: (y) :eek:

Last edited:
That sucks. But rest assured we have all done things to clean our our wallet before.

You might call Castle, tell them what happened and see if there is something they can do. I wouldn't expect a replacement but maybe they can discount a new one.
Yea im calling them in morning & just be straight up with them. First time I ever crossed wires on EC5 plug. Didn't pay any attention just plugged it in not realizing wired were wrong in plug.🤦

Yea im calling them in morning & just be straight up with them. First time I ever crossed wires on EC5 plug. Didn't pay any attention just plugged it in not realizing wired were wrong in plug.🤦
Yeah straight up is a good plan. If don't tell them and they take it on warranty they they will know what happened as soon as they see it. Then you will be out of luck anyway. I know that most business appreciated honesty too.

I told my car insurance company I hit something on purpose and they were like "Yah, OK cool. No problem." They paid the claim in full and didn't raise my rates. ... OK it was a choice to hit some unknown object in the road or a bunch of other cars. I chose the object, which turned out to be a metal lift gate from a truck. I suspect they figured it was a good decision, because something was going to get smooshed no mater the choice. Now that I think about it they should have paid me the money I saved them. :unsure:

Castle tech said running a 6500kv motor is more than a SW4 will handle. Got an upgrade to MX for $107 shipped. I think that's overkill for only running 3S max but did what they recommended.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back