Kraton Castle Mamba Monster 8s Ripple

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raydee

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Talion
Just wondering what kind of ripple you guys are seeing in the data logs with your Mamba 8s escs. I know the stock Spektrum esc came with a cap pack and wondering if I might have to add one to the Castle ESC.

Your going to see it on the DL, never will notice any difference with a pack or without.. Some guys are going to jump in here and say they use one and that's fine. Placebo, psychosomatic.. who knows.. I have 4 RK's and use 0 because they did nothing but change numbers on paper.

Depends on what your doing, batteries,gearing. ect. I use cap packs and speedrun but I'm seeing around 1.4v-1.5v on 8s around 5% ripple
Your going to see it on the DL, never will notice any difference with a pack or without.. Some guys are going to jump in here and say they use one and that's fine. Placebo, psychosomatic.. who knows.. I have 4 RK's and use 0 because they did nothing but change numbers on paper.
so you noticed no difference in adding a rk cap pack? I find that hard to believe.

Attachments

• Screenshot (16).png
    Screenshot (16).png
    162.2 KB · Views: 80
Depends on what your doing, batteries,gearing. ect. I use cap packs and speedrun but I'm seeing around 1.4v-1.5v on 8s around 5% ripple

so you noticed no difference in adding a rk cap pack? I find that hard to believe.

I didn't see anything other than numbers on the DL. No extra speed, no temp difference.

IMG_1049.jpg

I believe my ripple has stayed under 1.6v using a Ripple Killer 8S pack. I’ve never attempted a pass without it, so I don’t have a before/after comparison.

I will have to pull my logs again but we used to use them in the boats because they can pull some serious ESC damaging amps. I am pretty sure on my last log I saw a spike of 5 volts....that is a pretty bad ripple and the last thing I want to do is burn the ESC. All the cap pack does it just supply the ESC with that first big spike of voltage when you punch the throttle. They will not make anything run faster or cooler.

I will have to pull my logs again but we used to use them in the boats because they can pull some serious ESC damaging amps. I am pretty sure on my last log I saw a spike of 5 volts....that is a pretty bad ripple and the last thing I want to do is burn the ESC. All the cap pack does it just supply the ESC with that first big spike of voltage when you punch the throttle. They will not make anything run faster or cooler.

Amps are pulled, volts are pushed. Pulled amps are what creates heat. That esc didn’t get any hotter or any cooler running with or without a cap pack. The ESC “damaging“ Amps would all be contributed to heat which wasn’t there.

It's not meant to make it go harder, it's to smooth out ripple voltages mainly for speed runs.
:ROFLMAO:

Da faq do I care what a computer says? All I'd want to know is if I broke my last record..

Just a FYI for you.. Ripple "can" make unnecessary heat, right? Well guess what. Most guys in here that speed run couldn't care less on how long an ESC lasts. Chances are they will crash and burn before they need a new ESC because of "ripple current" lol.... This is a disposable electronics hobby, get with it.

:ROFLMAO:

Da faq do I care what a computer says? All I'd want to know is if I broke my last record..

Just a FYI for you.. Ripple "can" make unnecessary heat, right? Well guess what. Most guys in here that speed run couldn't care less on how long an ESC lasts. Chances are they will crash and burn before they need a new ESC because of "ripple current" lol.... This is a disposable electronics hobby, get with it.
That's just a very stupid naive statement. Maybe Ur rich n cool to stuff your equipment up, others like them to last as long as they can. Disposable hobby FFS. If you can make something last longer you do. Not everyone is rich or sponsored.

That's just a very stupid naive statement. Maybe Ur rich n cool to stuff your equipment up, others like them to last as long as they can. Disposable hobby FFS. If you can make something last longer you do. Not everyone is rich or sponsored.

Pot calling the kettle black much? What about your statement "being rich or sponsored" No one has to be rich or sponsored to build a speed run RC car, son... If you want to solder on a cap pack, then you solder on a cap pack. Have a nice day!

If ripple voltage is less than 10% of the total lipo's voltage, you are good. Seems to be the rule. Adding a cap pack may show no significant difference. Much depends on the motor and gearing. No 2 rigs are setup alike. If your cap pack is not at least 18,000 uF to begin with, you are wasting your time. I don't trust prebuilt cap packs that don't offer specs in this regard. Like it is some secret with some brands I won't mention here.
I laugh at guys who run cap packs just for bashing. Makes no sense to me. :unsure: 99.9% of ESC's already have embedded capacitors as a complete designed package. Adding an adequate cap pack for very Extreme Speed running is a different scenario. And can only be justified if you can access Ripple data to evaluate any effectiveness, if even any. Any ripple below 10% is fine. Cap packs show No Visible peformance advantage. It is only designed to protect an otherwise poorly built, inefficient/cheaply designed ESC, or a misapplication or extreme use of that ESC. (Extreme Speed running)

Edit:

If the embedded caps are extremely hot (using a temp gun )beyond its temperature operating limts, adding a cap pack can reduce overall Cap temps across the cap circuit. Protecting the ESC, in theory and on paper. But then one must consider gearing and loads contributing to the high cap temps. A cap pack being just a band-aid in this approach. Food for thought.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back