Castle Mamba Monster X 8S or XLX?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twitchfast

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
I plan on purchasing a 2028 / 800KV sensored Castle motor, but I'm not entirely sure which ESC I should buy to match it.
The Mamba Monster X 8S is sensored, however I'm not 100% sure how beneficial that really is for efficiency/torque/speed.
The XLX is (I believe?) a beefier ESC so I am leaning towards that option, I do like the idea of an overkill ESC for the sake of hopefully increased longevity.

I'm just hoping someone more knowledgeable about these ESCs could share some wisdom on the matter, thanks :)

I can only say that I have both sensored and sensorless. I prefer sensored. Yes its usually more money. Better low end torque control with sensored.
"Off the line" better control. No motor stutter or lag. I am using a HW XR8+ (6S max) I set my ESC to "Sensored Hybrid" control, zero Timing, Punch all the way down in my Lim. for speed runs.
"Full Sensored" mode limits/controls torque all the way up to full TH. Hybrid Sensored mode lets the motor go unsensored as max torque curve is reached. It's the best of both worlds. I don't have exper. with Castle. But I think most hardcore guys still like that XLX over X8S.
But I would like a Sensored ESC with the option of using a Sensored OR Sensorless motor. Sensored ESC's work fine with Unsensored motors.
Others may chime in.

Thanks for your input, been doing some more research into the newer Castle ESC's which apparently have software limitations on them which cannot be removed :(
Not sure if I'm allowed to link to another forum where they discussed the amp limitations, but I've always liked my Castle ESCs for the power, however that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.
Here's one such video concerning the "problem" with Castle ESCs

The amp draw protection circuit does what it does and will cut power under extreme load. If you have a properly matched and spec'd Motor and Lipo pack and Cap pack, many find it ok. Some don't like it. Also there is a weird quirk in the Data log that "Raz" described in his video. I believe its that the watts peak out at a certain threshold, even though it has well exceed the actual watts. If my memory serves me correct it was watts peak data. A software glitch as it was explained. :cool:

What rig is this going in? If it’s a speed runner, that 800kv motor is going to hold you back way more than the difference between ESCs.

I plan on purchasing a 2028 / 800KV sensored Castle motor, but I'm not entirely sure which ESC I should buy to match it.
The Mamba Monster X 8S is sensored, however I'm not 100% sure how beneficial that really is for efficiency/torque/speed.
The XLX is (I believe?) a beefier ESC so I am leaning towards that option, I do like the idea of an overkill ESC for the sake of hopefully increased longevity.

I'm just hoping someone more knowledgeable about these ESCs could share some wisdom on the matter, thanks :)

Sensored means it knows where the rotor is within the stator and allows it to start up without cogging. Once at speed, a sensored system pretty much becomes sensorless. If you like that instant power at start up then sensored is for you. Some sensorless systems can start up with 0 cogging as well, some of those come with programmable timing.

What rig is this going in? If it’s a speed runner, that 800kv motor is going to hold you back way more than the difference between ESCs.

You jump directly into KV of a motor and offer you're opinion about a speed runner? 800KV can easily get things into the 120's. Ask me how I know.

Sensored means it knows where the rotor is within the stator and allows it to start up without cogging. Once at speed, a sensored system pretty much becomes sensorless. If you like that instant power at start up then sensored is for you. Some sensorless systems can start up with 0 cogging as well, some of those come with programmable timing.

You jump directly into KV of a motor and offer you're opinion about a speed runner? 800KV can easily get things into the 120's. Ask me how I know.
With a 50T pinion

Edit: make that a 52T pinion. Not sure you can fit much larger than that in a 6S Arrma. Maybe if you slot the chassis you can. But why even put yourself behind the 8 ball with that low of a KV motor. Better off with more RPMs and less torque. It’s not drag racing.

D9BAD654-274C-4AC3-A2BC-AF8ACCCEEC72.png

Edit: make that a 52T pinion. Not sure you can fit much larger than that in a 6S Arrma. Maybe if you slot the chassis you can. But why even put yourself behind the 8 ball with that low of a KV motor. Better off with more RPMs and less torque. It’s not drag racing.

View attachment 90268

52-55-60.. Does it matter? This isn't a pinion size thread right? That would make for a great argument in a speed thread (if you knew) and if you knew what the OP was going to put it in.. I don't go by those graphs anyway, they were WAY off for me.

I should've clarified, I'm not going for 120s etc, naturally I want speed and probably will aim for ~100mph but I have always enjoyed having too much torque.

As you surmised I am running a 6S Typhon, I intend to replace the centre diff with a spool to give me more options if the pinion does end up becoming too large.

52-55-60.. Does it matter? This isn't a pinion size thread right? That would make for a great argument in a speed thread (if you knew) and if you knew what the OP was going to put it in.. I don't go by those graphs anyway, they were WAY off for me.
When you can’t fit the pinion you need, it will be an issue. And he didn’t mention what his purpose was so that why I asked.

When you can’t fit the pinion you need, it will be an issue. And he didn’t mention what his purpose was so that why I asked.
I was under the assumption I could go for a smaller spur on the spool to accomodate for a larger pinion, right?
Not 100% confident on my knowledge for a lot of this stuff though, hence the thread :)

I was under the assumption I could go for a smaller spur on the spool to accomodate for a larger pinion, right?
Not 100% confident on my knowledge for a lot of this stuff though, hence the thread :)
Yes my figures above assume a 29T spool spur gear, which is the smallest Arrma sells. There may be smaller aftermarket spool gears that you can buy, but again, if you wanted more speed, the easier way is higher KV motors. The 1717 1650kv would be a good balance between torque and speed on 8S. If all you wanted was speed, which it doesn’t sound like you do, then you would want a TP 2200kv or higher. But that wouldn’t be a good bashing motor.

2200kv in any speed runner fine. Very inefficient for bashing however. She will run too hot. Go thermal too easily if bashing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back