Castle Mamba X esc smoke on EXB build?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomad1981

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Mojave EXB
  6. Notorious
Hey friends. I built a EXB recently and went with the Castle Mamba x set up. Ran it twice no problem, for about 10 mins testing each time. All good. Then it stopped on the 3rd test. Opened her up nothing obvious. Unplugged and replugged 2 3s batteries and the esc smoked ND hissed at me. I detached the batteries quick. Now no matter what I do when I connect the battery. Even a 2s it smokes and heats the batteries too. Is it fried? Will they replace it and what could have caused it. I wasn't over voting it cos it's 6s capable. New batteries. Correctly wired becuae it ran fine twice? Any ideas? Just send it back and if so will they claim user error? What esc would work with a castle 1515 2200 kv motor.

Should have bought HOBBYWING.
there's plenty of Castle Creations ESC going up in smoke on the YouTube.. kev had 2 of em go up in smoke first runs
there's plenty of Castle Creations ESC going up in smoke on the YouTube.. kev had 2 of em go up in smoke first ..
I really wanted the Castle Creations Sensor system Too..
I think Earle Morehead has trouble with his Sensor though few warrantys.. I buy ebay so I need reliably 🤑 and a little cheaper

Last edited:
there's plenty of Castle Creations ESC going up in smoke on the YouTube.. kev had 2 of em go up in smoke first runs
there's plenty of Castle Creations ESC going up in smoke on the YouTube.. kev had 2 of em go up in smoke first ..
I really wanted the Castle Creations Sensor system Too..
I think Earle Morehead has trouble with his Sensor though few warrantys.. I buy ebay so I need reliably 🤑 and a little cheaper
i agree, hobbywing does have better quality.

Thanks guys. I'll send it back and cos. I didnt do anything wrong I'll probably get warranty. Well. I expect to. hobbywing sound like the right step. Can you run castle motor with hobbywing esc? Super frustrating!

20210313_125502.jpg

Thanks guys. I'll send it back and cos. I didnt do anything wrong I'll probably get warranty. Well. I expect to. hobbywing sound like the right step. Can you run castle motor with hobbywing esc? Super frustrating!

View attachment 132157
No problem running the castle motor with a hobbywing esc.

View attachment 132157

Technically you did do something wrong, you ran the esc in a vehicle that it wasn't designed for. That entire system is too small esc and the motor.
Intended for up to 6S (25.2 Volt) operation in vehicles weighing less than 9bs/4kg
As the bare roller without motor, esc and batteries you are at 4.37kg / 9lbs 10oz

Last edited:
Technically you did do something wrong, you ran the esc in a vehicle that it wasn't designed for. That entire system is too small esc and the motor.
Intended for up to 6S (25.2 Volt) operation in vehicles weighing less than 9bs/4kg
As the bare roller without motor, esc and batteries you are at 4.37kg / 9lbs 10oz
Well, yes but it burnt out while it was on the table and not while running it under load. I see your point. But would this take time to effect the ESC, not 2 10 min sessions? I also feel the larger ESC and motor is overkill for the EXB. I see all these threads of ppl putting Mamba X2 8s systems in the cars that just far too much. I understand that people feel the more power the better, I am not of this belief. Also I did fair amount of research and this is, according to many on the forums a good system for the EXB 6s. The motor is definitely powerful enough and it comes combined with that ESC. Why would you provide a motor which is plenty strong enough with an ESC that couldn't handle it? The 1515 2200 Castle is PLENTY for this vehicle. Anyways. Hobbywing it is.

Well, yes but it burnt out while it was on the table and not while running it under load. I see your point. But would this take time to effect the ESC, not 2 10 min sessions? I also feel the larger ESC and motor is overkill for the EXB. I see all these threads of ppl putting Mamba X2 8s systems in the cars that just far too much. I understand that people feel the more power the better, I am not of this belief. Also I did fair amount of research and this is, according to many on the forums a good system for the EXB 6s. The motor is definitely powerful enough and it comes combined with that ESC. Why would you provide a motor which is plenty strong enough with an ESC that couldn't handle it? The 1515 2200 Castle is PLENTY for this vehicle. Anyways. Hobbywing it is.

You don't need a Mamba Monster XLX2, but I would at least run the Mamba Monster X and not the Mamba X, the Mamba Monster X should have enough power to run the EXB, whoever said the Mamba X was a perfect fit for the EXB was completely full of crap that esc is for lightweight 1/8th scale buggies and short course trucks like the Tekno SCT410.3 and Tekno EB48SL.

Last edited:
Just fwiw I’ve been through 2 mamba x’s myself on a 2s arrma granite. Both times the esc went up in smoke with everything else ok. Pushed probably 8 packs through both of them. First one was in warranty period, second one sat in a box for a year and I put it in about 6 months ago. I don’t play with my rc much so about 8 packs later and the second one went tonight.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back