Castle MM2 vs MMX

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry-rigged

Have you seen my LVC?
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Outcast 6s
Do we have any Castle experts here? What difference is there between the MM2 and the MMX?

From what I can tell-

MM2 is the older (2012?) 1/8 ECS. Sensorless. Rated at 120a?
MMX is newer (2015?) 1/8 Sensor or sensorless. Rated ??

Also, I see the XO1 came with a MM2 and the 1717 motor - can I use that as a benchmark for what the MMX can handle? If I decided to make my Typhon a speed runner, should I be OK with the MMX so long as I stay with a 1717 or smaller motor?

Thanks-
Jerry

I found this from a Castle Tech:

Monster X is able to run sensored motors, combo packs with our new sensored motors should start shipping out soon.
Monster X has a much stronger BEC
Monster X has AUX wire features that allow you to change a setting on the fly from your transmitter if you have a 3 channel radio.

Some people called it a downgrade initially because we had put some over current protection in it that was shutting down for people doing top speed runs. We have removed this limit from the newest versions of the firmware.

There is only one version of the Monster X. If you are seeing different names on the product, you might just be looking at different websites who call it something slightly different.

Thanks. I should have thought to look at rctech. I had don't go there much anymore since they screwed up their website with that latest update.

As far as amp rating, Tower lists it at 120, but I did see someone say that it is 20% higher than the MM2, so maybe 144?

I thought they were both 150A esc's. After digging a bit, appears the MM2 is probably 120A. The revo v1 had the traxxas labled MM2 in it and it's rated 120A. After some digging, I found an email response on the traxxas forum confirming both the MM2 and MMX are 120A continuous.

In case anyone else wants to see the response:
https://forums.traxxas.com/showthre...s-MMX-vs-MM2&p=6165540&viewfull=1#post6165540

With that, I think the only real difference between the MM and MM2 is the MM2 is waterproof. My SavageFlux came with the "hpi blur" esc which is a rebadged MMv1. I replaced it with the MMX/2200kv system because I wanted waterproof and to try out sensored. With the added bonus of data logging the MMv2 doesn't have. Supposedly the BEC is a higher amp in the MMX vs the MMv2 as well.

Do we have any Castle experts here? What difference is there between the MM2 and the MMX?

From what I can tell-

MM2 is the older (2012?) 1/8 ECS. Sensorless. Rated at 120a?
MMX is newer (2015?) 1/8 Sensor or sensorless. Rated ??

Also, I see the XO1 came with a MM2 and the 1717 motor - can I use that as a benchmark for what the MMX can handle? If I decided to make my Typhon a speed runner, should I be OK with the MMX so long as I stay with a 1717 or smaller motor?

Thanks-
Jerry

No you cannot. That’s the Mamba Monster extreme. It’s a Mamba Monster 2 with caps hooked up, kinda like steroids. Anyway, I don’t have experience with a Mamba Monster 2 per say but I have been running the Traxxas MXL 6s speed control and can only say good stuff about it. It started life in my old e revo, and now it’s in my e revo vxl because the vxl 6s esc sucked! I was disappointed, and so is my mxl. Poor thing has been a workhorse for 5 years and now it’s gotta haul weight again. Still bulletproof, still alive, still waterproof, still running 6s baby. It runs cooler than any comparable esc in the truck (hobbywing max8, etc) But yeah man, mm2 is my favorite esc ever, and I haven’t ever had an actual one haha! Only the Traxxas rebrand lol! can’t find any at all for sale below $300 (US wise brand new), I actually just bought another’s few months ago that was the last one I could see for below $300 as they’re now discontinued, I spent weeks searching it was on rc planet and a few hours after I ordered I saw the “in stock” button change to “out of stock”, sure enough when I was emailed I was messaged “yes, you did indeed receive the very last one we had in stock” sorry this is way longer than it should’ve been but MM2 IS A GREAT ESC HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND

Edit: my mxl has been run with motors of 4068 to 4275.5 and it’s been fine. Stick to smaller than the 1717.

Last edited:
Oh shoot and let me build off what he said. (Sorry guys for being a big shot even though I’m new to this forum I’m just trying to be real, not nagging) anyway the MMM had a pretty horrible BEC. My mxl BEC runs 2 servos an esc fan a motor fan and a huge computer fan on the roof of the body (to keep temps down) and it does the job. Old MMM couldn’t even get the 2 stock servos turning for long before browning out in my electric converted s-maxx. The MMX is even better than the mm2 but for most cases the mm2 bec will be fine for you. Anything else is just extra. And about the amps, castle doesn’t like to release their amperage because it’s such a messed figure *i mean look Traxxas says their vxl 3s is a 300 amp esc what??* wHaTeVeR amperage the mm2 And mmx have, it’s enough. If it can power my 8th scale MT’s for 5 years it and it’s newer brother will have no problems with whatever you put it in!

MMM= generation 1 mamba monster

That’s just how everyone calls it
Ah, didn't know. I started running electric when the MMX was out. I only had the "MM2" because that's what was in my ERBE, which was my first electric. Anytime I referenced the MMM, I just used MMv1 when referencing the HPI rebadged MMM in my savage flux HP.

Holy thread resurrection batman..!!! ?

Who is still the resident Castle expert here..??

Thinking of putting a mmx or mm2 into my Infraction, mainly for bashing around but also a bit of speed running but nothing too extreme..!!

I'm in the UK so stock is a bit thin on the ground, before anyone says get the new 8s mmx that's out of the question for now ?

Currently it's running a Max8 4082 1650kv setup, I also have the original HW2200kv motor not being used. ( was going to put that motor into my Typhon ? )

Any help or tips please..??

Holy thread resurrection batman..!!! ?

Who is still the resident Castle expert here..??

Thinking of putting a mmx or mm2 into my Infraction, mainly for bashing around but also a bit of speed running but nothing too extreme..!!

I'm in the UK so stock is a bit thin on the ground, before anyone says get the new 8s mmx that's out of the question for now ?

Currently it's running a Max8 4082 1650kv setup, I also have the original HW2200kv motor not being used. ( was going to put that motor into my Typhon ? )

Any help or tips please..??
Get the MMX8S ??

J/K the MM2 Retro would be the next best option if you can score one, but that’s probably just as hard to find. Next up would be the MM2 standard.

In my opinion the mm2 is better suited to the infraction. I advise against the mm2 retro only because people ask way too much for them, and you’re basically gaining nothing. Non retro mm2’s have been in the speed run game forever, a retro isn’t necessary. The mmx is known to get hot during speed runs but that doesn’t seem to slow people down too much, because at the end of the day, you’re making a pass, then letting it cool down. Both the mm2 and mmx are known to never have issues like cutting out. The benefit of the mmx is that there’s data logging, which is real neat. The mmx8s would be also cool because it’s super heavy duty being a 6th scale esc, but a standard run of the mill mm2 should have no issues getting you above 130mph.

If for some reason you really feel like you need an mm2 retro, just buy a used MMM off of eBay. Those first gen mamba monsters are really the same thing as a retro mamba monster 2, just not waterproof.

If you think you’re going to be hardcore street bashing, an mm2 would be perfect. It’ll take the heat way better than an mmx and it’ll not kill itself like an mm2 retro.

Not trying to crap on your parade Jon! I know you love those retros, which is totally awesome. They’re real unique and stuff but I’m just going for the realistic overall view here.

+1 on getting the MMX8s its a great ESC!

installed on the Typhon 6s:

mmx8s installed.jpg

Out of the two motors I mention above, which would be best to use with the mm2..??
Bigger is better. Mm2’s are known to run motors like 4092’s with ease, and even things like the castle 1717 for speed running. A 4082 is really under stressing that mamba monster, but it’ll be perfect for road bashing. A 4074 2200 is too small, that motor will get hot.

Biggest difference I see in the MMX over MM2 is data logging. This helped me a LOT in determining the optimal pinion to run in my K6s when it was overheating. I could load data log of amp draw and see how the pinion change affected it, bringing it down to an optimal maximum on 15T with 2000KV Nero motor.

Castle does not explicitly list an Amp rating for their equipment, citing many factors involved and the overstatement of most brands in this parameter.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back