Castle overheating

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. BigRock 4x4
  3. Granite
  4. Infraction
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Raider
  8. Talion
  9. Typhon 6s
  10. Typhon 3s
I want to apologize in advance if this is something that has been covered already.
A search turned up minimal.
I put a castle sidewinder kit with a 4 pole 3800 castle motor in a Typhon 3S and after approximately 90 seconds the esc goes into overtemp protection.
After a day or so of dealing with this I swapped the stock stuff back in no issues at all.
Is this normal or can I stop the overheating.
Below is the exact kit I put in.
Any input is greatly appreciated.
105259__42632.1516608877.jpg

90 seconds sounds like it's way too fast to go into thermal protection. Are you sure it's not going into low voltage cutoff? I had a problem like this where the ESC was detecting my 4s battery as a 6s and would go into lvc in the same 90 second time frame. I fixed it by programming to ESC to no longer auto cell detect, just programed it to 4s battery.

So my advice is to check the low voltage cut off and cell count on the ESC.

I am running the stock tires.
The one in the pic was built just to bounce around in sand.
I took the whole buggy to my local hobby shop who recreated the issues and they said the same thing that he ESC is getting too hot.
And then they told me the ESC is really intended for 2S not 3S and there wasn't much they could reccomend.
Also we run 95% of our time either on gravel or asphalt here on the farm.

You are better off running the stock electronics. The SW4 is not a very good ESC and the BEC is junk. Also, that motor will run hot no matter what ESC you use. Can I ask why you switched to begin with? Was there an issue with the BLX100?

If my replies are slow I apologize, I work afternoons and maintenance work comes before maintenance play.
My daughter has a brushed Granite and for a bit more power I put my stuff in hers and got the Castle set up for mine.
It is time to start the search for a complete stock set up and go back.
The stock stuff worked great.
The grass is always greener my ass. Lol

I ran the castle sct sv3/3800kv in my stampede 4x4 for over a year on 2S with 2.8" trenchers geared to run right at 40mph. Never had an issue really. Then I tried 3S and geared down. I had read/heard that it wouldn't hold up to 3S. I ran it 5-6 times in grass and at the skate park on 3S, no overheating, but it was in the fall and winter, so it was cooler out. I replaced it with a max10 sct/3200kv system just to avoid having issues this year since I intended to now only run it on 3S, but haven't driven it much since. I only did the swap as I intended really to run it until it cooked, if it cooked like I had heard it would, but then I hit a steel pole and snapped the motor shaft off. So, instead of spending $60 on a new castle motor, I spent $150 on the entire HW system. lol!

Now that is one way to get a new driveline.
Can't say as I really understand it either.
I went back to my lhs today with it and the results were repeated yet again 3S asphalt lot and 118 seconds later it shut down for a thermal issue.
He sprayed it with a can of compressed air it ran for another 48 seconds and same thing.
Castle to the lhs on a phone call to limit my battery to a 2S.
So back to stock I go.

If the vxl 3s in my eJato dies on me, I'll try the sct sv3 again as I have one new in box as the 3500 traxxas motor smoked on me on my second or 3rd 3S run in that truck and I got the sct/3800 system again just to replace it, but I was being lazy and only swapped the motor. I ran it on 3S quite a bit and the motor did get toasty, but still worked ok.

After getting the 3660/3200kv in my stampede, figured I'd try one of those cheap hobbystar 3200kv 3660 motors in the eJato. Again, haven't run it much, but I'm still on the vxl-3s esc.

I don't know how some of you guys have 20 trucks. I have 10 and I barely use half of them! LOL! Been a weird start to my season I guess. Kind of wanted to piddle around with nitro a bit more this year as my nitro's pretty much just sat on the rack for the past 2 years. Between running each of those and messing with my savage flux on 6S, I haven't even taken my little trucks out almost for 2 months! Last year, I always took one little one with a big one.

Update,
Pulled the castle setup out and put in stock esc and motor from lumidave35 on Saturday and absolutely no issues since.
Overheating problem solved

Update,
Pulled the castle setup out and put in stock esc and motor from lumidave35 on Saturday and absolutely no issues since.
Overheating problem solved
The SW4 is garbage. I'm glad I got rid of mine and went with a MambaX.

The SW4 is garbage. I'm glad I got rid of mine and went with a MambaX.
I think he had the sct SW3. At least that's what appears to be in the picture.

Probably the same thing as the SW4, not sure though since they don't have a "SCT" sw4. They have a combo they call the sct, but it's still just a SW4 esc.

As a fng to the hobby I took the word of the lhs and I learned for it.
In the future I will ask the ARRMA Army first until I get some experience.

As a fng to the hobby I took the word of the lhs and I learned for it.
In the future I will ask the ARRMA Army first until I get some experience.
I bought an SW4 on the recommendation of a Hobbytown USA ?

Ah the mistakes we will make in the name of fun.

I'm with you on that one for sure.
No idea how much I have wasted in the name of learning but too much for sure.

I'm with you on that one for sure.
No idea how much I have wasted in the name of learning but too much for sure.
I hear you. I'm fortunate enough where the money isn't a huge deal but for some people making the mistakes I made would have been catastrophic. It might make them quit the hobby for good. That is why you can't put enough emphasis on a good local hobby shop. Or doing research on a great forum like this ???

I get that.
The wife and I started the RC hobby last fall and are up to 19 trucks and 4 drones.
It is addicting for sure.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back