Castle XLX 2 and 1100kv motor issues. Or XLX2 faulty anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I ask, if you could do it again would you go with the same motor or the 800kv option. I'm still on the edge because I'm not familiar with either. Thanks
Absolutely I would take the 1100kv motor. 35/47 gearing. The 800kv motor really shines on 10s and running it on 8s is not a enough for that KV. Plus you need at least a 40t pinion with the 47t spur. The 800kv is also harder on your batteries because of the necessity of a bigger pinion and your battery life is also less. And the 1100kv motor just gets to top speed faster than the 800kv motor. The problem is that the 1100kv Castle motor is hard to find. It took a while but I found one. You can also try the Max 5 and 1100kv 5687 motor with 35/47 gearing. Some of people say that motor runs hot on the K8S. I'm not sure about the O8S. I run the Max 5 and 1100kv 5687 motor with 25/35 gearing on my X-Maxx trucks and it works great for that set up.

A lot of the issues I wonder if Castle is going to hide behind the quoted vehicle weight. I called and spoke to them this week about the combo and the issues they are having. The person I was talking to referenced the weight several times and stating that the 1100kv setup in these heavy of trucks just puts too much stress on the ESC.

Max. Recommended Vehicle Weight:Vehicles weighing less than 30lbs.

I than asked about the several youtubers who have just had them catch fire from plugging them in and was told it was issues with higher than 2000kv motors. Which makes little sense when some youtubers have shown just plugging them in has caused fires.

I hate that I spent so dang much and now stuck with this setup, especially after finding out the stupid sensor wire is not a standard plug on the esc side.

Just check the batch number and make sure it’s not from the 1st batch. I have 2 2nd batch xlx2’s and they run like beasts. I had one from the 1st batch and it didn’t catch fire , just went silent and shut down on the 2nd run. No tones or throttle just blinking lights. Castle warrantied it and sent me a new one in less than 10 days

Just check the batch number and make sure it’s not from the 1st batch. I have 2 2nd batch xlx2’s and they run like beasts. I had one from the 1st batch and it didn’t catch fire , just went silent and shut down on the 2nd run. No tones or throttle just blinking lights. Castle warrantied it and sent me a new one in less than 10 days
I'm in the same boat. 1st run XLX2 that I sent in for inspection and was returned with the good to go. Updated to new firmware and on the first run within 1 minute it shut down. Waiting for castle to send me a new replacement.

My first XLX2 is still doing fine after months of abuse. I just bought another one and it turned on fine (no fires when plugging it in for the first time).

My XLX2 on 8s in combination with an 2200kV delta motor also just burnt down yesterday after several runs without issues.
Seems these combinations with XLX2 are more or less gambling with fire and not yet fixed 😭

Regards Daniel

Last edited:
My XLX2 on 8s in combination with an 2200kV delta motor also just burnt down yesterday after several runs without issues.
Seems these combinations with XLX2 are more or less gambling with fire and not yet fixed 😭

Regards Daniel
Sucks. I'm using both of my XLX2 with the Castle 1100kv motor. But I use them for bashing with my K8S EXB and Outcast 8s.

Sucks. I'm using both of my XLX2 with the Castle 1100kv motor. But I use them for bashing with my K8S EXB and Outcast 8s.
Maybe 1100kV original Castle motor isn't a problem anymore since the second / new batch of ESC but the 8s 2200kV delta wound motor combination still seems to burn or overload the ESC even 500A have been measured already from couple of users and I never reached that during the days before and especially when it burnt it wasn't any real load because pinion away from the gearing.
Similar or almost same situation as most other videos 😂

Maybe 1100kV original Castle motor isn't a problem anymore since the second / new batch of ESC but the 8s 2200kV delta wound motor combination still seems to burn or overload the ESC even 500A have been measured already from couple of users and I never reached that during the days before and especially when it burnt it wasn't any real load because pinion away from the gearing.
Similar or almost same situation as most other videos 😂
I can routinely hit 500A with my XLX2 2028-1100kv setup in my Mojave. It has gotten up to about 125F so far, which was on multiple 130mph+ speed runs. Running SmartSense with the sensor cable. Stock timing so far.

I can routinely hit 500A with my XLX2 2028-1100kv setup in my Mojave. It has gotten up to about 125F so far, which was on multiple 130mph+ speed runs. Running SmartSense with the sensor cable. Stock timing so far.
Sounds good but 1100kV is exactly the half I used and also the Castle is a Y-wind motor + SmartSense and not a 79000rpm TP D-wound.

Sounds good but 1100kV is exactly the half I used and also the Castle is a Y-wind motor + SmartSense and not a 79000rpm TP D-wound.
I was just mentioning that mine hits over 500a too.

I was just mentioning that mine hits over 500a too.
Should be also okay with the XLX2 and don't know what's happen that time during the motor performance test/setup without real load or heavy movement like before on the road but seems the spark started like almost on all YouTube videos at the X-BUS connection or underneath of it.

When my negative power lead desoldered it self on my xlx2 the tech scolded me for the ESC hitting 400 amps and told me it was my fault for the issue. Surprisingly they are gonna warranty it for me. I just don't get the attitude.

What do you mean with "Don't get the attitude"?
Regards Daniel
Just wasn't a fun conversation. I definitely didn't expect them to kiss my ass but also they didn't really act like they cared i have spent hundreds of dollars on their ESC's. This wasn't my first interaction with them that was more defensive than helpful. Don't get me wrong their products are amazing when they work and I'll keep buying some of them because nothing else compares.

Just wasn't a fun conversation. I definitely didn't expect them to kiss my ass but also they didn't really act like they cared i have spent hundreds of dollars on their ESC's. This wasn't my first interaction with them that was more defensive than helpful. Don't get me wrong their products are amazing when they work and I'll keep buying some of them because nothing else compares.
Personally I avoid their customer service like the plague these days, living in the UK it's easier for me to send the defective item to the site I purchased it from, who then returns it to the UK Supplier which tests and confirms the fault.
Then I just get a free replacement, bought two XLX2 combos and both had to be sent back, my replacements work perfectly now though.

In Houston we have a large drag racing community and about 10 of these XLX2 have burned entire cars down in weeks. Just by plugging them in brand new in many circumstances. This is a defective product and it may do castle in.
I know its an old thread but I'd have to agree. I'm on my 2nd warranty replacement Xlx2. My Mamba X 8s esc straight burst into flames and nearly burnt the body off my Kraton. I was told bad solder joint was the cause. I purchased a Ztw Beast Pro and utilizing the same wiring have achieved 80 + daily with no further issues. Motors kick ass but as far as their esc's.......ehhh

I'm currently running the XLX2 AND 800KV MOTOR on my Outcast 8s and have tried 39/39 gearing and 35/39 gearing with just some heat issues and old batteries puffing but that's about it. I ran it almost nonstop too. Rich mentioned to me that he's heard some catch on fire. What I've seen was exocage have the excessive overload code with the 1100kv on the K8S and Xmaxx, but I think he's over geared with 40/47 gearing I believe. Anyone else? I'm about to try the 1100kv motor from Castle on it but now I'm having second thoughts ?
Yep mine caught fire on the 5th set of packs.. brand new rig and set up. k8s exb with the xlx2 1100 kv. 30/39 gearing. Had it sent off to castle they replaced the set and the blutooth b link. Took about a month and a half to get replaced. But damn if it isn't a beast set up though.

Yep mine caught fire on the 5th set of packs.. brand new rig and set up. k8s exb with the xlx2 1100 kv. 30/39 gearing. Had it sent off to castle they replaced the set and the blutooth b link. Took about a month and a half to get replaced. But damn if it isn't a beast set up though.
Really? How long ago was that? What connectors were you using? I lost count how many packs, jumps and crashes I have on my XLX2. I did damage the connectors going to the board (the battery ones) on one of my XLX2 ESCS. I pulled on them thinking they were renovable. They are not. They are soldered on. Stupid mistake. Before that it was running perfect (the XLX2). My friend is trying to resolder it, but it's very hard to do. I had to order another one and will be installing it soon 🙄

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back