Castle XLX 2 and 1100kv motor issues. Or XLX2 faulty anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Others may feel I am missing out , but I don't feel that I am with my Max 5 1100 kv setup for my K8S. To each their own, its nice to have choices. You have done well to test various components in your rigs....you have the voice of experience

I have valued your input, and Im glad I have what I have. It aint fancy, but its a mean go getter bashing machine
Went out today with my EXB K8S and the Max 5. It was very hot (felt like 90F). I got 59MPH with the GPS on grass (58MPH with the XLX2 on similar terrain). My batteries started getting too hot for my liking due to the constant running around (I usually don't do that) since I didn't have a ramp. I had to adjust my LVC setting on the Max 5 since it was acting like it was about to hit LVC after like 5 minutes of running around. Another problem was that the Max 5 was hitting Thermal (green light flashing). Not sure if the XLX2 would have done that TBH. I think it would have kept going, but my batteries would have paid the price in the end. Punch and top speed looks exactly the same between the XLX2 and Max 5. Where I think that the XLX2 shines is heat dissipation, but it doesn't take jumps well! I did set my LVC lower and set up my throttle to 70% and that helped keep things moving along, but the Max 5 still hit thermal again. I'll see how it goes once I jump my truck with a ramp instead of non stop driving, or driving under very hot conditions (it was around mid day). So if I can get the thermal thing under control, there's no difference between the Castle and HW stuff (at least after a quick test run as far as punch and top speed goes). So 30/39 gearing is not a good idea to run around for too long under extreme heat. Maybe for quick jumps, which is what I do mostly anyways. I'll see how it goes when I do that with the Max 5. But so far, I'm not regretting in stalking the Max 5.
Another thing is that I don't know if this big 2028 1100kv Castle motor is too much for the Max 5 long term?? Not sure yet.

Went out today with my EXB K8S and the Max 5. It was very hot (felt like 90F). I got 59MPH with the GPS on grass (58MPH with the XLX2 on similar terrain). My batteries started getting too hot for my liking due to the constant running around (I usually don't do that) since I didn't have a ramp. I had to adjust my LVC setting on the Max 5 since it was acting like it was about to hit LVC after like 5 minutes of running around. Another problem was that the Max 5 was hitting Thermal (green light flashing). Not sure if the XLX2 would have done that TBH. I think it would have kept going, but my batteries would have paid the price in the end. Punch and top speed looks exactly the same between the XLX2 and Max 5. Where I think that the XLX2 shines is heat dissipation, but it doesn't take jumps well! I did set my LVC lower and set up my throttle to 70% and that helped keep things moving along, but the Max 5 still hit thermal again. I'll see how it goes once I jump my truck with a ramp instead of non stop driving, or driving under very hot conditions (it was around mid day). So if I can get the thermal thing under control, there's no difference between the Castle and HW stuff (at least after a quick test run as far as punch and top speed goes). So 30/39 gearing is not a good idea to run around for too long under extreme heat. Maybe for quick jumps, which is what I do mostly anyways. I'll see how it goes when I do that with the Max 5. But so far, I'm not regretting in stalking the Max 5.
Another thing is that I don't know if this big 2028 1100kv Castle motor is too much for the Max 5 long term?? Not sure yet.

What dya think..... A fan setup for the Max 5 ?

warranty claims? for terminals comming off? seems like you are having alot of resistance somewhere.

warranty claims? for terminals comming off? seems like you are having alot of resistance somewhere.
So why don't I have these issues with my Max 5 and my X-Maxx? Same batteries and connectors. Yes warranty claim. These XLX2 are weak. Either they fall apart or catch on fire while bashing. No excuses. Even their 1717 motor SUCKS for bashing. I've blown TWO of them. One was even brand new. The HW 1650KV motor has had absolutely NO ISSUES with the same kind of vehicle, jumps and bashing. I'm never buying anything Castle again for bashing. What about the broken sensors inside both my 2028 1100kv motors? Is that my fault too? Meh, for bashing, HW all the way. For speed runs and street bashing Castle all the way. I've had more than one issue with Castle and bashing. That's why I'm salty.

Last edited:
BTW, after some quick testing with the Max 5 and everything else the same on my EXB K8S, I see NO DIFFERENCE in performance so far between the two ESCS, except maybe that the Max 5 is hitting thermal during hot weather. I'm going to try out the XLX2 under the same hot weather, but I think that's the only advantage that the XLX2 has so far. Top speed, punch and acceleration off road are pretty much the same. The sensored BS is a mute point, because the sensor inside those motors break with jumps (unless you don't jump or crash your RC?). Yes the XLX2 would sweep the floor with the Max 5 during high speed runs, but we're not talking about that right now.

So why don't I have these issues with my Max 5 and my X-Maxx? Same batteries and connectors. Yes warranty claim. These XLX2 are weak. Either they fall apart or catch on fire while bashing. No excuses. Even their 1717 motor SUCKS for bashing. I've blown TWO of them. One was even brand new. The HW 1650KV motor has had absolutely NO ISSUES with the same kind of vehicle, jumps and bashing. I'm never buying anything Castle again for bashing. What about the broken sensors inside both my 2028 1100kv motors? Is that my fault too? Meh, for bashing, HW all the way. For speed runs and street bashing Castle all the way. I've had more than one issue with Castle and bashing. That's why I'm salty.
Soooo…. A nickel for your thoughts? 😜

if you were a newbiie, and it was your first rig, I would take what you say with a grain of salt……

But that’s just it……. You have been doing this for quite some time, I have been watching your YouTube videos and monitoring your posts and asking your feedback for just about as long as I’ve been in the hobby. You have probably tried more setups if you quit today than I will experience in the next10 years….

While you don’t baby your rigs, you will never be the next Kevin Talbot or Rich Duperbash.
I doubt I will ever be as outspoken as you over this topic, but for me, the fancy data feed and sensor stuff is not in my top 20 of important

For the guys who want all that, good for you

but I am with @Armarookie43 on this…. It’s not for me

and yes, this is from the perspective of bashing 8S rigs….. not speed runs, etc

as far as maybe running hotter, the money you save on Max 5 vs Castle you can get fan setup to rectify

and beer 🍺

Last edited:
If I can find a huge hill somewhere or a gravel pit construction site, I wouldn't hesitate to jump my rigs. Even my $3k plus Outcast 8s and EXB K8S 🤣

So I guess Castle is going to warranty one of the XLX2 and they would sell me another one for $172. I guess I'm going to go for it. At least they warrantied one of them. I don't get why they didn't warranty both, since both have the same exact problem (bullet came off the board) 🤷

So I guess Castle is going to warranty one of the XLX2 and they would sell me another one for $172. I guess I'm going to go for it. At least they warrantied one of them. I don't get why they didn't warranty both, since both have the same exact problem (bullet came off the board) 🤷
Yea, I have avoided some threads singing the praises of XLX2 and 1717.....

Just glad I have what I have...

Maybe there is a clause buy 2 only warranty for one special deal in your case

Well that sucks because I've bought like 5 XLX2 from Castle. Meh. I'm just not going to buy anything Castle again for bashing. I think that I will throw in one of the XLX2 inside my K8S and cross fingers that it doesn't happen again. But I'm partially to blame due to upside down landings and a couple of battery ejections. That cannot be good for any ESC. I've stopped doing that with better driving and extra straps.

Just talked to the tech support at Castle. The guy said that he saw numbers that he's never seen before (too high of ripple and voltage). He's claiming that most likely it was caused by poor solder job and gearing that is way too aggressive. What I'll do is to lower my gearing since I don't need 58MPH in grass TBH. And I'll try to do a better job with my soldering skills I guess. I still think that it had to do more with crashes and battery ejections. Or a combination of all those things. I did tell the tech to send me a note with the replacement ESCS. It's going to cost me $172 to replace one and the other XLX2 will be covered under warranty, even though he said that it shouldn't be since that one also showed ridiculous voltage spikes (he said over 400amps). I'll review the info once I get them back. But it's going to be a while because they have no stock right now. Production begins next week of XLX2. So that's that. So I'll probably try 30/47 gearing on both trucks and I'll see what happens. I did want to add that the XLX2 ESCS were also not working properly when it comes to LVC (they both were lowering my voltage to way below 3v before I changed the LVC from Auto). So maybe that played a role in all this mess too??? So lower gearing, better soldering and setting the LVC manually will all be done once I get them back (the XLX2 that is). He also told me that I have to monitor the voltage in the data logging. So I'll do that too after I get things back together. Stand by.....
The tech at Castle agrees with you. I might have the LHS Solder my QS8 connectors so that I'm taken out of the variables since I'm not that good at soldering. We'll see.

Well that sucks because I've bought like 5 XLX2 from Castle. Meh. I'm just not going to buy anything Castle again for bashing. I think that I will throw in one of the XLX2 inside my K8S and cross fingers that it doesn't happen again. But I'm partially to blame due to upside down landings and a couple of battery ejections. That cannot be good for any ESC. I've stopped doing that with better driving and extra straps.
Well, none of us go bashing and land perfect every time since starting this hobby.

Again, just glad I have what I have.
Just talked to the tech support at Castle. The guy said that he saw numbers that he's never seen before (too high of ripple and voltage). He's claiming that most likely it was caused by poor solder job and gearing that is way too aggressive. What I'll do is to lower my gearing since I don't need 58MPH in grass TBH. And I'll try to do a better job with my soldering skills I guess. I still think that it had to do more with crashes and battery ejections. Or a combination of all those things. I did tell the tech to send me a note with the replacement ESCS. It's going to cost me $172 to replace one and the other XLX2 will be covered under warranty, even though he said that it shouldn't be since that one also showed ridiculous voltage spikes (he said over 400amps). I'll review the info once I get them back. But it's going to be a while because they have no stock right now. Production begins next week of XLX2. So that's that. So I'll probably try 30/47 gearing on both trucks and I'll see what happens. I did want to add that the XLX2 ESCS were also not working properly when it comes to LVC (they both were lowering my voltage to way below 3v before I changed the LVC from Auto). So maybe that played a role in all this mess too??? So lower gearing, better soldering and setting the LVC manually will all be done once I get them back (the XLX2 that is). He also told me that I have to monitor the voltage in the data logging. So I'll do that too after I get things back together. Stand by.....

The tech at Castle agrees with you. I might have the LHS Solder my QS8 connectors so that I'm taken out of the variables since I'm not that good at soldering. We'll see.
Sounds like a pain in the a$$ if you ask me.

But then I'm just a grumpy old fart that has no need for the fancy fru fru....I just like equipment that works, usually doesn't cause problems, and ain't fancy.

And .......nobody asked me

Last edited:
Well, none of us go bashing and land perfect every time since starting this hobby.

I'm definitely going to lower my gearing. I'll probably do 30/47 and take it from there. 30/39 gearing and 35/47 is just too much long term. Even for the XLX2. My experience. I happen to have a Castle 800kv 2028 motor laying around. I might just throw that motor in and see if that is a better fit long term with 30/47 gearing. I'm definitely not going to do 39/39 or some other crazy thing like that. Some YT guys even put a bigger pinion than a spur gear? They must not drive hard like I do. I just don't see how those systems don't catch on fire like that 🤷

Keep applications in mind. Speed run on smooth asphalt and slow acceleration is fine on 39/39 but definitely not for bashing in grass.
I found that you wa t to stay at max 50ish MPH in grass, else you melt connections, overheat motors or blow tires. Still need upgraded fans for that.
Just a guide, not a hard limit.

Keep applications in mind. Speed run on smooth asphalt and slow acceleration is fine on 39/39 but definitely not for bashing in grass.
I found that you wa t to stay at max 50ish MPH in grass, else you melt connections, overheat motors or blow tires. Still need upgraded fans for that.
Just a guide, not a hard limit.
Absolutely. For me, around 47mph is good enough for double and even triple backflips off a big ramp. My X-Maxx can hit 51 mph with no long term issues with 25/35 gearing with the HW 1100kv and Max 5, but it weighs around 8lbs less than my 8S Arrmas (just guessing). Very little issues with that set up. I tend to forget how heavy these monsters are. I just have to take it easier with them. Even though I usually don't run them non stop. Just a quick run up to my ramps. But sometimes you don't want to stop since you are having so much fun! It's hard to put down the remote! I'm just not buying what I see or hear from others anymore when it comes to gearing and bashing that's for sure. You have to try it out for yourself.

Sounds like a pain in the a$$ if you ask me.

But then I'm just a grumpy old fart that has no need for the fancy fru fru....I just like equipment that works, usually doesn't cause problems, and ain't fancy.

And .......nobody asked me
It's a good thing hobbywing stuff is reliable because getting warranty coverage from them is like pulling teeth. If that was hobbywing I would bet money arrmarookie wouldn't have got even a single replacement 🤣 😔. I still think it's poopy castle didn't replace both of them for free though. Makes heavy duty esc and then complaining about the amps it pulled seems dumb to me but what do I know 🤣. Both these companies need to do better when it comes to warranties.

I like it even better that I haven't had to warranty anything from them

Sorry if it was difficult for you
haha thankfully I haven't had to either, I've just seen a lot of posts on here about it. I don't have much faith in any of these companies when it comes to warranties. I just expect to be sol if anything happens :eek::cry:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back