Castle XLX 2 and 1100kv motor issues. Or XLX2 faulty anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haha thankfully I haven't had to either, I've just seen a lot of posts on here about it. I don't have much faith in any of these companies when it comes to warranties. I just expect to be sol if anything happens :eek::cry:
Me too

It's a good thing hobbywing stuff is reliable because getting warranty coverage from them is like pulling teeth. If that was hobbywing I would bet money arrmarookie wouldn't have got even a single replacement 🤣 😔. I still think it's poopy castle didn't replace both of them for free though. Makes heavy duty esc and then complaining about the amps it pulled seems dumb to me but what do I know 🤣. Both these companies need to do better when it comes to warranties.
I guess what the tech was doing trying to say is that it pulled amps for way too long and too many times. He was pretty much saying that I abused the ESCS. So that's that. At least they covered one of them. But like I mentioned before, no stock right now, so I'm not going to have one available for who knows how long. I was thinking about trying out the MMX8S on one of my Arrmas (maybe the 8s Outcast)is, since the MMX8S is comparable to the Max 5 🤔.

I guess what the tech was doing trying to say is that it pulled amps for way too long and too many times. He was pretty much saying that I abused the ESCS. So that's that. At least they covered one of them. But like I mentioned before, no stock right now, so I'm not going to have one available for who knows how long. I was thinking about trying out the MMX8S on one of my Arrmas (maybe the 8s Outcast)is, since the MMX8S is comparable to the Max 5 🤔.
I dunno.
......if you do , let us know how it goes....

Man that sucks. Other places have xlx2 in stock too. Castle needs to get it together.

Had a buddy lose a MMX8S at our bash last weekend in an Outcast running a 800kv 1:1 ratio. It was parked for 5 minutes before it let the smoke out. I think Castle says they are for sub 25lbs
Yeah and that 1:1 ratio is just not feasible long term for these heavy beasts. Even the XLX2 is going to have issues later on with very high amp draws. That's what castle said. I'm probably going to try out 30/47 gearing and will get into the logs to see what is going on.
Man that sucks. Other places have xlx2 in stock too. Castle needs to get it together.
Yeah Amain has them in stock. And Radio Control power too 🤔

It's a good thing hobbywing stuff is reliable because getting warranty coverage from them is like pulling teeth. If that was hobbywing I would bet money arrmarookie wouldn't have got even a single replacement 🤣 😔. I still think it's poopy castle didn't replace both of them for free though. Makes heavy duty esc and then complaining about the amps it pulled seems dumb to me but what do I know 🤣. Both these companies need to do better when it comes to warranties.
I forgot to mention to the tech that their factory settings (auto LVC) DOES NOT WORK properly on their ESCS. Next time, I'll talk to them about that. Strangely enough the Spectrum ESCS from my Infraction V2 and Felony work perfectly with auto LVC. Heck, even the cheap esc on my POS MAVERICK MT Flux the factory LVC works 🤷

This thread doesn’t make me feel great about my situation. I just had to send an xlx2 in for warranty - it is used on my K8S with their 1100kv can. It won’t send power to the motor. I can plug it in and see it on my pc and flash it and everything. Just won’t spin or make any of those fancy noises on startup that come from the motor.

I Ordered a replacement and sent in the bad one. Since I grabbed another 1/5 scale Arrma during the sale I also bought an 800kv can. When I get the warranty job back I’ll toss it in there.

If I am asked to pay I will likely do it once. Second time I’ll be ordering max5 combos.

For what it’s worth my rig is heavy, I’m running QS8 connectors, Smc batteries. Gearing is 31/39

This thread doesn’t make me feel great about my situation. I just had to send an xlx2 in for warranty - it is used on my K8S with their 1100kv can. It won’t send power to the motor. I can plug it in and see it on my pc and flash it and everything. Just won’t spin or make any of those fancy noises on startup that come from the motor.

I Ordered a replacement and sent in the bad one. Since I grabbed another 1/5 scale Arrma during the sale I also bought an 800kv can. When I get the warranty job back I’ll toss it in there.

If I am asked to pay I will likely do it once. Second time I’ll be ordering max5 combos.

For what it’s worth my rig is heavy, I’m running QS8 connectors, Smc batteries. Gearing is 31/39
Funny you mention that, today I did a standing wheelie on mine and it flipped on it's back and now it also doesn't respond to my throttle input. The lights for forward/neutral/reverse are showing correctly on the esc but absolutely no response from the motor. And of course their not open when I called. Did you speak to someone at castle about it? This is my 2nd esc as they replaced the first one that caught fire.

Last edited:
mine was driven down the street for a few packs. Was still dialing it in. Never jumped.

I held forward and ripped it down the street. Then, I Slammed the brakes on. That’s when it died.

I figured the pinion just came loose or the battery was unplugged. But no, it still turned. I plugged it into my pc and flashed it (it was already up to date). It flashed successfully - that’s how I knew it was still functioning.

I called castle. They asked me to plug another motor into it and turn it on and see if it would make noise. It did not.

They told me to go to their website and use the request RMA form. They need to scope it to figure out what’s wrong I’m with it.

31/39 gearing is even higher than my 30/39 gearing. We pretty much have the same set up. I'm actually starting to gear down all my off road trucks, including my small ones, because now I that is hot, they are all hitting Thermal and getting too hot. Even with high speed fans. It's just too much strain on the electronics to use tall gearing long term. That's what I've gathered so far. We need to shoot for around 47-50mph off road tops. I was hitting 58-59 mph. Yeah insane, but at a price. The tech at Castle said that my gearing is very aggressive (even 35/47 gearing). So, it's kind of like a constant speed run, even though I was not aming for that. I'll probably start at 30/47 and will be ditching the 39T spur to begin with. I honestly got caught up into what others are doing. That guy Earl from YT is running bigger pinions than spur gears, which is over gearing. I told him that he is a bone head for that. Somehow, his Outcast 8s hasn't turned into a fireball. It's his toy anyways, but someone that doesn't know much about rc might try the same thing. I'm just ranting now. Anyways, I'm going to take my time with this gearing thing and will check the logs to make sure I'm not having huge voltage spikes that I didn't know about. I'm not in a hurry. I better not be. One of the reasons I think that I'm in this mess. That, combined with poor soldering, huge crashes, huge ramps, huge tires, batteries ejecting. I'll admit that I have abused the crap out of both these XLX2 before those bullets came off. I'm talking about a few months, so I calculate that I have at least 20+ runs or more with questionable set ups. Then you have the people that just connect the XLX2 and it catches on fire. Or the dude that I saw where he had a tiny crash with this EXB O8S with the XLX2 (his very first crash), and the thing CAUGHT ON FIRE 🤷🤷

Maaan I run 31/39 gearing with a tp 5670 1270 kv and I don't want to lower my gearing. Whole reason I bought XLX2 was so I could not worry so I'm not even acknowledging what that tech said to arrmarookie tbh. If I have a problem and they don't cover it I will just start buying max 5's too. Thankfully my system has been running pretty good so far though my motor did get kind of hot last time I took it to the park. I've since added 12v fans to it though. I really like castles stuff so I really hope I don't run into any problems because the first time they try to make me pay 170 I'm going to be pissed off lol.

Last edited:
mine was driven down the street for a few packs. Was still dialing it in. Never jumped.

I held forward and ripped it down the street. Then, I Slammed the brakes on. That’s when it died.

I figured the pinion just came loose or the battery was unplugged. But no, it still turned. I plugged it into my pc and flashed it (it was already up to date). It flashed successfully - that’s how I knew it was still functioning.

I called castle. They asked me to plug another motor into it and turn it on and see if it would make noise. It did not.

They told me to go to their website and use the request RMA form. They need to scope it to figure out what’s wrong I’m with it.
That sucks! You didn't even get to use the damn thing. I get tired of saying it, but I've NEVER had a problem with my HW ESCS. Even my aggressively geared Xmaxx with DuraTrax tires (lockups), HW Max 5 and 1100kv 5687 25/35 gearing Mod 1.5

Last edited:
Maaan I run 31/39 gearing with a tp 5670 1270 kv and I don't want to lower my gearing. Whole reason I bought XLX2 was so I could not worry so I'm not even acknowledging what that tech said to arrmarookie tbh. If I have a problem and they don't cover it I will just start buying max 5's too. Thankfully my system has been running pretty good so far though my motor did get kind of hot last time I took it to the park. I've since added 12v fans to it though. I really like castles stuff so I really hope I don't run into any problems because the first time they try to make me pay 170 I'm going to be pissed off lol.
How high do you jump?

How high do you jump?

I'd guess maybe 10 feet but I'm not a good judge of distance/height lol. Definitely not as big as your jumps though.

I tried using the 24t and 30t pinion with the 34t spool but with the PPS motor mount it doesn't work. Neither of those pinions can reach the spool gear. The 30t barely touches. Bummer. I'll start with 39/47 because I can't get one of the set screws out of the 39t spool now. Even after heating it with a mini torch ?
I know I'm really late to the party, but I've only been on the forum for a little over a year, actively posting for just the last few months. FWIW, the Total Tooth Count (TTC) on PPS motor mounts is as follows:

The 25mm version will allow for a TTC Between 60 and 81 Teeth.
The 30mm version will allow for a TTC Between 71 and 92 Teeth.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back