Castle XLX 2 and 1100kv motor issues. Or XLX2 faulty anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armarookie43

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Mojave EXB
  6. Outcast 8s
  7. Typhon 6s
I'm currently running the XLX2 AND 800KV MOTOR on my Outcast 8s and have tried 39/39 gearing and 35/39 gearing with just some heat issues and old batteries puffing but that's about it. I ran it almost nonstop too. Rich mentioned to me that he's heard some catch on fire. What I've seen was exocage have the excessive overload code with the 1100kv on the K8S and Xmaxx, but I think he's over geared with 40/47 gearing I believe. Anyone else? I'm about to try the 1100kv motor from Castle on it but now I'm having second thoughts ?

I had to send my xlx 2 and 1100kv back to castle for diagnostic. My motor cogs and xlx 2 stopped making the tones when turning on. Seems like this esc and motor combo having alot of issues, I also did excessive overload on this setup also. So we will see what castle finds.

I have heard of some speed runners having the XLX2 catch fire, but these guys are running these ESCs very hard. This is nothing new with speed runners. One guy I know noticed some odd behavior/start up noises, and then went on to run the car anyway.

I also know others who have 5+ of these ESCs and run them several times a week never having an issue. I take these stories as a grain of salt. Imagine how many are out there running perfectly. These fire stories likely make up 1%, while 99% are running just fine.

I have heard of some speed runners having the XLX2 catch fire, but these guys are running these ESCs very hard. This is nothing new with speed runners. One guy I know noticed some odd behavior/start up noises, and then went on to run the car anyway.

I also know others who have 5+ of these ESCs and run them several times a week never having an issue. I take these stories as a grain of salt. Imagine how many are out there running perfectly. These fire stories likely make up 1%, while 99% are running just fine.
Well I'll report back. The gear ratio that is recommended is 25/35 for a 1100kv motor and that's exactly what I run on my other rigs with the hobbywing motor, so I'll start with 24/34 for the XLX2 and 1100kv motor and go from there. ?

Well I'll report back. The gear ratio that is recommended is 25/35 for a 1100kv motor and that's exactly what I run on my other rigs with the hobbywing motor, so I'll start with 24/34 for the XLX2 and 1100kv motor and go from there. ?
Let us know how that works out for you

Yeah just received the 34t spool today and I already have the pinion and motor. I'll assemble everything between today and tomorrow, will probably run it on the weekend and I'm confident that it will work out. I'm also going to run my brand new Turnigy rapids 140C batteries that I bought specifically for this rig too.

I tried using the 24t and 30t pinion with the 34t spool but with the PPS motor mount it doesn't work. Neither of those pinions can reach the spool gear. The 30t barely touches. Bummer. I'll start with 39/47 because I can't get one of the set screws out of the 39t spool now. Even after heating it with a mini torch ?

In Houston we have a large drag racing community and about 10 of these XLX2 have burned entire cars down in weeks. Just by plugging them in brand new in many circumstances. This is a defective product and it may do castle in.

I watched Kevin Talbot install two xlx2 esc go up in smoke. The first one burnt down the car, the second shorted out also and he was prepared for it and cut the ground wire. Both were on initial start up. Just purchased one to go with TP 1356kv, now I'm concerned about even installing it. Castle has no mention of any issues on their site. Imagine that. I guess the percentages haven't got high enough yet. One is too many. Also if I do install it, any recommendation on gearing. I was going to start out with 47/28.

Yeah I said the same thing as you, until yesterday. I just got it back from castle because mine was cogging from the day I installed it, so I sent it in and they said it was fine. So I installed it yesterday after downloading update, synced my throttle and the shut it off when I went to get my body to go run it. I turned to set remote on tool box and then turned back around and BOOM, it burst into a ball of flames, and best of all was the power was off. Had to cut battery wire and then put out fire. A pair of maxamp batteries damaged along with servo wires and receiver, hope Castle is going to reimburse for damaged stuff along with ESC. I believe it is way more than 1%

Yeah I said the same thing as you, until yesterday. I just got it back from castle because mine was cogging from the day I installed it, so I sent it in and they said it was fine. So I installed it yesterday after downloading update, synced my throttle and the shut it off when I went to get my body to go run it. I turned to set remote on tool box and then turned back around and BOOM, it burst into a ball of flames, and best of all was the power was off. Had to cut battery wire and then put out fire. A pair of maxamp batteries damaged along with servo wires and receiver, hope Castle is going to reimburse for damaged stuff along with ESC. I believe it is way more than 1%
Dude this def doesn’t make me feel comforted at all... I just picked up the xlx2/800kv setup. This is something else, more people need to be making this public I mean Castle is a huge name in the hobby this stuff is unacceptable. I called and spoke to them and they make it out like none of them were on there 1100kv motor and all on higher kv motor setups or people doing things wrong

Oh maxamp batteries.

Stupid question, but do you work for HW?
Yeah, stupid question. :LOL:

Just that's an incredible experience and all.🤷‍♂️
Dude this def doesn’t make me feel comforted at all... I just picked up the xlx2/800kv setup. This is something else, more people need to be making this public I mean Castle is a huge name in the hobby this stuff is unacceptable. I called and spoke to them and they make it out like none of them were on there 1100kv motor and all on higher kv motor setups or people doing things wrong
Yeah the issue is supposedly exclusive to D winds, 2000kv+ motors and long and wide motor cans. That covers just about many of the motors out there. 🤷‍♂️
What gives with Castle?
Seems Castle is pointing to user error now. 🤷‍♂️ Not to use Full sensored mode etc. Yet the setting remains there?
They pushed the limits with these 2 ESC's. More than they should have.
And now look.:LOL:

Last edited:
You shouldn't be comfortable, you should pack that stuff up and send it back. I have been a lifetime Castle customer but if these units are not ready (which you can tell by the rushed firmware update), do not buy them. If your set on the xlx2, then wait until the smoke blows over, or get yourself a MAX5, or 6.

I have now seen too many instances where xlx2s' are prone to fire, but the really scary thing, there is no 'user-error' here. We are talking about 'spontaneous combustion', while operating the unit within it's parameters and boundaries. I hate when a company rushes a product out for market reasons. But I do see why Castle, and other R/C monopolies better start designing something quick.

All my assumptions about a possible error in design, are my thoughts based on the number of instances, and the quick release of a firmware patch. Finally, the way the tech (being one myself) responded to you was vague and unhelpful. Just my $0.02 - Dave

Well it's March 2021 and I've ran my XLX2 and 1100kv with 35/47 gearing many times now with no issues so far. Maybe I got lucky. Who knows. Many 20ft+ jumps off my ramps even into concrete.

Well it's March 2021 and I've ran my XLX2 and 1100kv with 35/47 gearing many times now with no issues so far. Maybe I got lucky. Who knows. Many 20ft+ jumps off my ramps even into concrete.
Can I ask, if you could do it again would you go with the same motor or the 800kv option. I'm still on the edge because I'm not familiar with either. Thanks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back