Castle XLX2 Motor Rotation question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman2733

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Finishing up a Kraton 8s build with a castle xlx2 and 2028 800kv can. Question I am wanting to finish programming the esc and wiring. Wanting to see if anyone can verify does the esc motor rotation need to be set to reverse for forward to actually be forward. I don’t wanna have to mess with switching motor leads around just due to wire length and hate to get it all finished and than have to take it all back apart to reprogram it.

Any information is helpful

The xlx2 and 2028 are setup forward from the factory with my dx5. My setup in the O8S.

61837CF9-691F-4D9E-B97E-136841D63068.jpeg

Finishing up a Kraton 8s build with a castle xlx2 and 2028 800kv can. Question I am wanting to finish programming the esc and wiring. Wanting to see if anyone can verify does the esc motor rotation need to be set to reverse for forward to actually be forward. I don’t wanna have to mess with switching motor leads around just due to wire length and hate to get it all finished and than have to take it all back apart to reprogram it.

I can't stress enough to NOT SWITCH your motor leads around if you're running sensored, as it can / will kill your system. It can be done when running unsensored without worries, though.

As to your question: Just install your stuff. You can alway reprogram your ESC with the castle link etc., or directly via your remote, just check where the rotation setting is and adjust accordingly. Lastly, I'm running the 800kv hobbywing and am geared 44t pinion to stock (47t) spur and happy with the performance so far. You could also go for a 1:1 gear ration, but might need a fan on the motor then.

The lead on the motor marked A has to go with A on the ESC, B has to go with B etc. I read that those three cannot be connected backwards or damage to your ESC and motor will occur. That's what I got from the manual. I only messed with the brake level and nothing else on my XLX2 and 1100kv motor on my Outcast 8s and it's been working great for like 3 months of hard bashing. I think it's 3 months now. I've se en someone running 40t pinion and 47t spur and they were happy with their speed. I think it was 50mph on grass. Yeah I'm running sensored, so getting the leads mentioned correctly is a must like the previous person above me mentioned. Good luck!
The xlx2 and 2028 are setup forward from the factory with my dx5. My setup in the O8S.

View attachment 128602
What gearing are you running? 800kv motor?

Thank you and rig looks good buddy! I just gotta solder on my connectors for battery/esc and cable manage and I am ready to roll.

what gear size did you go with?
I’m on 39/39. Arrma spur/saga pinion
The lead on the motor marked A has to go with A on the ESC, B has to go with B etc. I read that those three cannot be connected backwards or damage to your ESC and motor will occur. That's what I got from the manual. I only messed with the brake level and nothing else on my XLX2 and 1100kv motor on my Outcast 8s and it's been working great for like 3 months of hard bashing. I think it's 3 months now. I've se en someone running 40t pinion and 47t spur and they were happy with their speed. I think it was 50mph on grass. Yeah I'm running sensored, so getting the leads mentioned correctly is a must like the previous person above me mentioned. Good luck!

What gearing are you running? 800kv motor?
39/39 on 800kv. Waiting for the 1100 to be in stock and may switch.

I’m on 39/39. Arrma spur/saga pinion

39/39 on 800kv. Waiting for the 1100 to be in stock and may switch.
The 1100kv with 35/47 gearing I believe is not faster at top speed than your current set up (I had pretty much exactly the same set up) but it does get to top speeds faster with less strain on the batteries on 8s. That's two reasons why I also went from the 800kv to the 1100kv Castle motor. 👍

Welp got it all buttoned up and running. Welp the XLX2 and 800kv 2028 running 39/39 is a very uneventful drive. Going to try to research on gearing with an 800kv the 39/39 looked to be a bit better watching YouTube videos

What batteries are you running? Do you have the punch set to 0? I’m just curious because I think mine runs really well. I know that is subjective.

What batteries are you running? Do you have the punch set to 0? I’m just curious because I think mine runs really well. I know that is subjective.
Hello, I am using the SMC 8000mah 120c Graphene packs. Yes punch is at 0. Like you said just subjective, last RC was an Xmaxx with a 2028 setup that was a monster. But this is quite a bit a beast, however this is quite a bit heavier especially with all the M2c stuff.

Does your guys sensor cable snap/click into the motor? Or just slide in? I can’t get mine to click like they do with my race Tekin stuff

Hello, I am using the SMC 8000mah 120c Graphene packs. Yes punch is at 0. Like you said just subjective, last RC was an Xmaxx with a 2028 setup that was a monster. But this is quite a bit a beast, however this is quite a bit heavier especially with all the M2c stuff.

Does your guys sensor cable snap/click into the motor? Or just slide in? I can’t get mine to click like they do with my race Tekin stuff
Yeah, the xmaxx is a good bit lighter for sure! My sensor cable is just press fit, it doesn’t click on.

Welp got it all buttoned up and running. Welp the XLX2 and 800kv 2028 running 39/39 is a very uneventful drive. Going to try to research on gearing with an 800kv the 39/39 looked to be a bit better watching YouTube videos
Yeah for me I felt that the 800kv motor with 39/39 gearing was OK. Like I mentioned before, I took out the 800kv and put the 1100kv motor with 35/47 gearing on my Outcast and it gets to top speed faster, which is what I was looking for. Also, the 800kv motor is wanting more than 8s for it to reach its potential. Another reason I switched to the 1100kv motor. I can get double backflips now with not much room needed to reach around 50mph on grass. I don't try the double backflip thing too often though since if I miss the Outcast will break for sure. I leave that to the big block Xmaxx mostly 🤣. Another reason to go with the 1100kv motor is that you can reduce the teeth count on the gears compared to the 800kv and still get to top speed faster, reducing the strain on your batteries and they will most likely last longer in run time too 👍

Last edited:
Is there any room to gear up more than the 35/47?
It's don't think that I would go higher than 35t pinion for the 1100kv motor. It hits around 50mph on grass. Exocaged tried 40/47 gearing with the 1100kv, and the XLX2 started giving an "excessive overload" code. Actually when he had the 800kv motor and 40/47 gearing, it had the same top speed as the 35/47 on the 1100kv.

Ok, thank you. I’ll have to look at my speeds on 39/39. I have only had it out once for a post install shakedown.
I saw someone hit 50mph on grass with 39/39 gearing with the MM8X and the 800kv motor. Your ESC is even more powerful than the MM8X but they mentioned that they were not too impressed either. 🤔

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back