CASTLE XLX2 WARNING: KNOWN ISSUE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayP.

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Outcast 8s
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Senton 3s
I just finished talking with someone from castle, the issue I opened up with my xlx2 APPARENTLY is a wide spread and known issue with XLX2 ESCs, and they're NOT working on a fix right now. Basically the ESC is trying to match the rpm of the motor, and it's FAILING which will cause the vehicle to BRAKE once getting back on the throttle with the vehicle moving. DO NOT buy an XLX2 for bashing at least, because you most likely will experience this issue. I don't know why more people aren't talking about this, because my mamba x 8th scale ESC does not have this issue... Absolutely ridiculous... 500 dollars for a combo that isn't even ready after 10 months?! I can't recall the exact date it came out, but this is just ridiculous... I don't see it being an issue for speedrunning, but when you're bashing, you're going on and off the throttle a lot... So this sudden braking will cause the vehicle to jerk violently, it's just going to cause wear on the drivetrain. If anyone wants to see a video of what I'm talking about, I'll post one.

I just finished talking with someone from castle, the issue I opened up with my xlx2 APPARENTLY is a wide spread and known issue with XLX2 ESCs, and they're NOT working on a fix right now. Basically the ESC is trying to match the rpm of the motor, and it's FAILING which will cause the vehicle to BRAKE once getting back on the throttle with the vehicle moving. DO NOT buy an XLX2 for bashing at least, because you most likely will experience this issue. I don't know why more people aren't talking about this, because my mamba x 8th scale ESC does not have this issue... Absolutely ridiculous... 500 dollars for a combo that isn't even ready after 10 months?! I can't recall the exact date it came out, but this is just ridiculous... I don't see it being an issue for speedrunning, but when you're bashing, you're going on and off the throttle a lot... So this sudden braking will cause the vehicle to jerk violently, it's just going to cause wear on the drivetrain. If anyone wants to see a video of what I'm talking about, I'll post one.
I am experiencing multiple issues with my MMX8S for Speed Runs and Drag hits too. Waiting for a response, but they seemed ready to help.

Holy s*** I was just about to buy an x-max off of eBay with an xlx2 not going to do it now, I was just about to do a post is $1,200 for an xmax that combo upgraded arms and hubs a good deal bodies in good condition comes with a second one but just hearing that about the ESC makes me cringe

Yeah, xlx and xlx2 have never been built for bashing. It doesn't surprise me that Castle isn't trying to fix it at the present moment.
That's ridiculous, isn't meant for bashing? That doesn't excuse an issue like this. Bashers have been using this combo and loving it. That ISN'T an excuse to not fix a flaw in the esc. Not everyone bought it for speedrunning.

That's ridiculous, isn't meant for bashing? That doesn't excuse an issue like this. Bashers have been using this combo and loving it. That ISN'T an excuse to not fix a flaw in the esc. Not everyone bought it for speedrunning.
Here, let me buy a non-belted tire and get mad that the manufacturer won't make it belted and replace it when the tire blows at 80mph

Here, let me buy a non-belted tire and get mad that the manufacturer won't make it belted and replace it when the tire blows at 80mph
You're really a brainlet, that has nothing to do with it... It literally says extreme 5th scale combo... I didn't know everyone nowadays is speedrunning a ton of 5th scale, off-road vehicles all the time. Get off if you're not going to be helpful, people need to call in about this to get them to either allow us to disable this, or find away to implement it better. Don't be a joker, people are GOING to buy this for bashing, and the deserve to know this issue.

Thanks for the personal jab, it feels great!
You're literally ignorant? I apologize that I'm angry at castle. I shouldn't take it out on you, but don't make a comment that's actually incorrect, go to their website and see the applications they list for this ESC and motor combo... Speedrunners and bashers should be able to use this without any issues in either application. It's just frustrating buying a 500+ dollar combo and being told there's no fix in the works for this.

You're literally ignorant?

Oof, again with the personal jab, it definitely reinforces your credibility.

From the issues people have had bashing with the XLX2, it is profoundly clear that it isn't actually built for hard bashing, no matter what the advertising says, and any amount of research would show that. At no point did I say Castle was without fault when it comes to issues with the relatively new XLX2, nor did I say that they shouldn't address the issue, simply that I wasn't surprised that they weren't, as there are other issues that their tiny team is dealing with.

From the issues people have had bashing with the XLX2, it is profoundly clear that it isn't actually built for hard bashing, no matter what the advertising says, and any amount of research would show that. At no point did I say Castle was without fault when it comes to issues with the relatively new XLX2, nor did I say that they shouldn't address the issue, simply that I wasn't surprised that they weren't, as there are other issues that their tiny team is dealing with.
If that IS THE CASE even IF, the manufacturer DOES the research for you in which application it's applicable IN, and if it is listed for such. It should BE for such, don't defend castle on this when it's their fault, especially with earlier revisions combusting into flames, guess that should've set off red flags of even considering this combo, it's why I waited 10 months to purchase it so they could fix the issues. This combo can pull massive amps, and is built for large scale vehicles. Are you going to tell me the rest of their lineup isn't for bashing either? Because I'd laugh, personal attack or not, this feels like a comedy sketch. When I called and they asked me which vehicle I was using in to make sure it isn't in an improper application, they didn't bat an eye. They didn't tell me it was an improper application, so I'm sorry, you just AREN'T valid in defending them.

Even if it was meant for just speedrunning, imagine pushing a kraton 8s to 100mph back to back and then saying "oh yeah, you can't bash a kraton 8s at 50mph off-road though, the ESC just isn't meant for that...

If that IS THE CASE even IF, the manufacturer DOES the research for you in which application it's applicable IN, and if it is listed for such. It should BE for such, don't defend castle on this when it's their fault, especially with earlier revisions combusting into flames, guess that should've set off red flags of even considering this combo, it's why I waited 10 months to purchase it so they could fix the issues. This combo can pull massive amps, and is built for large scale vehicles. Are you going to tell me the rest of their lineup isn't for bashing either? Because I'd laugh, personal attack or not, this feels like a comedy sketch. When I called and they asked me which vehicle I was using in to make sure it isn't in an improper application, they didn't bat an eye. They didn't tell me it was an improper application, so I'm sorry, you just AREN'T valid in defending them.

When did I say Castle was intentionally misleading in their suggested applications? As a consumer it is the individual's responsibility to make sure the product they purchase is appropriate for the applications the want to use it in. At the current age of release it is clear to the informed consumer that the XLX2 is not a sure thing for hard bashing, through many reported issues by the end user. If this was a 1st batch issue with few to no user reports, I would be more empathetic, but it isn't. Additionally, I didn't at any point defend Castle in their handling of the issue, let alone it existing in the first place.

When did I say Castle was intentionally misleading in their suggested applications? As a consumer it is the individual's responsibility to make sure the product they purchase is appropriate for the applications the want to use it in. At the current age of release it is clear to the informed consumer that the XLX2 is not a sure thing for hard bashing, through many reported issues by the end user. If this was a 1st batch issue with few to no user reports, I would be more empathetic, but it isn't. Additionally, I didn't at any point defend Castle in their handling of the issue, let alone it existing in the first place.
I'm sorry to say this, but to say it doesn't seem slightly implied would be an understatement. Whatever you continue to say, this problem shouldn't exist within the realm of any application, speedrunning or not, and the fact it's known and they told me it isn't going to be fixed is absurd. Guess what, I bought the combo to see if it would work in my application, I checked everything, temps, amperage, ECT and it was all good except that small flaw. I didn't come on here to blast and argue if what I'm using it in is an issue or not, but just for people to even KNOW it is one in the first place since I've seen people successfully running it in bashers left to right, THAT WAS MY RESEARCH, watching reviews, videos, in multiple different scenarios, asking YouTubers multiple questions on this combo. They all said positive things on this combo for a bashing application, even if for whatever reason, it isn't inherently made for it. I even asked if there were any issues, because I was skeptical. I didn't just buy this combo because castles website said it could work, I bought it because castle AND independent reviewers and people said it worked good!

Castle is definitely having a lot of issues and not just with the XLX2 but also the MMX8S and 1717 motors. I just got a new XLX2 and I'm already having issues with it de-syncing at high speeds. Still waiting on a replacement 1717 1650kv also as the new one I got had a defective shaft and bent first time changing pinion and noticed grub screw dug into the shaft almost 1mm which clearly shows it was not hardened properly*. Also @jondilly1974 has had multiple issues with the MMX8S and also the 1717 motors. Unfortunately I think they are getting buried with more issues than they are capable of dealing with so their focus will go to "serious" issues like the XLX2 catching fire or frying from just turning it on. It's also very frustrating when you speak to 2 different techs and get different attitudes and responses regarding the same issue/issues. I'd bet here soon there will be some big changes and hopefully for the better at least we can hope or things will just continue to decline for Castle.
*Also not to mention the first time I sent in my 1650kv with the bent rotor for warranty being not even 2 weeks old they slapped a different used rotor in it and sent it back to me. Well not just was the rotor used and had several pinion marks in the shaft the shaft was also bent 0.5mm. so I called and got a very unprofessional rude tech that admitted yes they just put a used rotor in it but it supposedly was in "good" shape and was tested before it was sent to me. Which obviously was not the case as the bent shaft would not pass any "test". Not to mention I had to pay twice to send it to them they would not even cover me having to ship it back the second time due to their error. I was also told it may not be covered this time?! Like seriously if you put a new rotor as I was told initially I'd have no reason to have to send it in again, and now because they put used damaged parts on it I may have to pay for replacement this time for their mess up?!

Last edited:
I'm sorry to say this, but to say it doesn't seem slightly implied would be an understatement. Whatever you continue to say, this problem shouldn't exist within the realm of any application, speedrunning or not, and the fact it's known and they told me it isn't going to be fixed is absurd. Guess what, I bought the combo to see if it would work in my application, I checked everything, temps, amperage, ECT and it was all good except that small flaw. I didn't come on here to blast and argue if what I'm using it in is an issue or not, but just for people to even KNOW it is one in the first place since I've seen people successfully running it in bashers left to right, THAT WAS MY RESEARCH, watching reviews, videos, in multiple different scenarios, asking YouTubers multiple questions on this combo. They all said positive things on this combo for a bashing application, even if for whatever reason, it isn't inherently made for it. I even asked if there were any issues, because I was skeptical. I didn't just buy this combo because castles website said it could work, I bought it because castle AND independent reviewers and people said it worked good!
I am sorry that your research led you to a conclusion that resulted in an unhappy purchase. My research on the topic has been nothing but a 180° from what you say yours has been. Even in making this thread of warning, however, you contribute to the pool of research that is antithetical to your own original conclusion. To reiterate and be absolutely transparent, I do not believe that Castle has been intentionally and maliciously misleading, nor do I think that their products are without fault. I do also believe that as a tiny company, Castle is having issues with the rapid release of several new products, and as such knowing about a minor issue and it being relatively far down on the list or not at all I'd absolutely acceptable for the current situation they have put themselves in.

Castle is definitely having a lot of issues and not just with the XLX2 but also the MMX8S and 1717 motors. I just got a new XLX2 and I'm already having issues with it de-syncing at high speeds. Still waiting on a replacement 1717 1650kv also as the new one I got had a defective shaft and bent first time changing pinion and noticed grub screw dug into the shaft almost 1mm which clearly shows it was not hardened properly. Also @jondilly1974 has had multiple issues with the MMX8S and also the 1717 motors. Unfortunately I think they are getting buried with more issues than they are capable of dealing with so their focus will go to "serious" issues like the XLX2 catching fire or frying from just turning it on. It's also very frustrating when you speak to 2 different techs and get different attitudes and responses regarding the same issue/issues. I'd bet here soon there will be some big changes and hopefully for the better at least we can hope or things will just continue to decline for Castle.
I hope things improve for the better as well because I do love castle, and I hate to get angry over this especially considering what a mess it most likely is over there. It's just frustrating to have such a small issue in an almost perfect ESC imo, the XLX2 is an absolute killer ESC, and it can be used for almost about anything as it's been proven by others.
I am sorry that your research led you to a conclusion that resulted in an unhappy purchase. My research on the topic has been nothing but a 180° from what you say yours has been. Even in making this thread of warning, however, you contribute to the pool of research that is antithetical to your own original conclusion. To reiterate and be absolutely transparent, I do not believe that Castle has been intentionally and maliciously misleading, nor do I think that their products are without fault. I do also believe that as a tiny company, Castle is having issues with the rapid release of several new products, and as such knowing about a minor issue and it being relatively far down on the list or not at all I'd absolutely acceptable for the current situation they have put themselves in.
That's absolutely fair.. but how is it antithetical to my original conclusion? Elaborate. And I don't think castle has malicious intent either, that was just my own frustrations with them. I shouldn't believe everything on their own website I suppose. Castle should've slowed down when these issued surfaced either way, I'm sure consumers WOULD understand them taking time to make sure the product comes out as intended.

I hope things improve for the better as well because I do love castle, and I hate to get angry over this especially considering what a mess it most likely is over there. It's just frustrating to have such a small issue in an almost perfect ESC imo, the XLX2 is an absolute killer ESC, and it can be used for almost about anything as it's been proven by others.

I agree, barring the last part of the last sentence. Should the several known issues, proven to exist by a large segment of the consumer base, be fixed, then I will agree, but until then it remains a boutique product that people have to be prepared to outright replace when issues arise.

That's absolutely fair.. but how is it antithetical to my original conclusion? Elaborate. And I don't think castle has malicious intent either, that was just my own frustrations with them. I shouldn't believe everything on their own website I suppose. Castle should've slowed down when these issued surfaced either way, I'm sure consumers WOULD understand them taking time to make sure the product comes out as intended.
But either way, you can't deny that people will inevitably buy this for a similar application to mine, even if the issue is less of a problem in certain ones, people should be made aware, then they can decide whether or not it'll be a problem for them
I agree, barring the last part of the last sentence. Should the several known issues, proven to exist by a large segment of the consumer base, be fixed, then I will agree, but until then it remains a boutique product that people have to be prepared to outright replace when issues arise.
It's just quite frustrating they acknowledged it over the phone... I do agree it would need to be called in by more individuals, but they themselves know about it.

But either way, you can't deny that people will inevitably buy this for a similar application to mine, even if the issue is less of a problem in certain ones, people should be made aware, then they can decide whether or not it'll be a problem for them

I don't deny it. People will continue to purchase the XLX2 for hard bashing despite it currently not being an appropriate use case for the ESC.

Yes, it sucks, but at least they acknowledged it as an issue instead of leaving you to keep hunting a non-existent mechanical gremlin.

It's just quite frustrating they acknowledged it over the phone... I do agree it would need to be called in by more individuals, but they themselves know about it.
Also I don't disagree with what I said, I stick to it being a versatile ESC, it's understood that pushing anything past it's limits isn't when you should start complaining about it having issues, but if you genuinely think that a 30lb rc car geared low isn't proper for this ESC... I just can't agree with that.

I don't deny it. People will continue to purchase the XLX2 for hard bashing despite it currently not being an appropriate use case for the ESC.

Yes, it sucks, but at least they acknowledged it as an issue instead of leaving you to keep hunting a non-existent mechanical gremlin.
Also, since you consider it not appropriate for bashing, is it because of the age? It's hardware? Or firmware? I understand this ESC is young, and it needs time to improve, but I feel like this is something that can be fixed in firmware. I wouldn't consider that making it inappropriate for the application, it just needs time for small kinks. I just wish they at least said they would eventually be working on a fix.
Also I don't disagree with what I said, I stick to it being a versatile ESC, it's understood that pushing anything past it's limits isn't when you should start complaining about it having issues, but if you genuinely think that a 30lb rc car geared low isn't proper for this ESC... I just can't agree with that.

Also, since you consider it not appropriate for bashing, is it because of the age? It's hardware? Or firmware? I understand this ESC is young, and it needs time to improve, but I feel like this is something that can be fixed in firmware. I wouldn't consider that making it inappropriate for the application, it just needs time for small kinks. I just wish they at least said they would eventually be working on a fix.
As I stand, I believe people shouldn't purchase it now at least, because of the issues. If that's the whole point you're trying to get across to me, that as it stands it ISN'T proper for bashers, I agree. Because it still has flaws. I don't want people to never purchase this ESC, but wait for it to be fixed through firmware (hopefully).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back