CASTLE XLX2 WARNING: KNOWN ISSUE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
30lb rc car geared low isn't proper for this ESC... I just can't agree with that.

That is a HUGE oversimplification of the abuse any electronics are subject to when bashing hard. Impact, thermal, power output - both sustained and instantaneous, rpm, battery quality, BEC demands, motor specs, etc. etc.. Gearing is a tiny fraction of the equation that has to be considered when designing a high performance ESC. Even with the issues, Castle stands head and shoulders above any of their competitors as it applies to the bleeding edge of surface performance due to their consideration to so many more of these factors than other manufacturers.

Also I don't disagree with what I said, I stick to it being a versatile ESC, it's understood that pushing anything past it's limits isn't when you should start complaining about it having issues, but if you genuinely think that a 30lb rc car geared low isn't proper for this ESC... I just can't agree with that.

Also, since you consider it not appropriate for bashing, is it because of the age? It's hardware? Or firmware? I understand this ESC is young, and it needs time to improve, but I feel like this is something that can be fixed in firmware. I wouldn't consider that making it inappropriate for the application, it just needs time for small kinks. I just wish they at least said they would eventually be working on a fix.

As I stand, I believe people shouldn't purchase it now at least, because of the issues. If that's the whole point you're trying to get across to me, that as it stands it ISN'T proper for bashers, I agree. Because it still has flaws. I don't want people to never purchase this ESC, but wait for it to be fixed through firmware (hopefully).
But I didn't KNOW about these flaws prior to purchase, I knew it had issues early on catching on fire, I didn't know it had an rpm matching issues. No one made that aware to me, that's why I'd like people to be aware of it now.
That is a HUGE oversimplification of the abuse any electronics are subject to when bashing hard. Impact, thermal, power output - both sustained and instantaneous, rpm, battery quality, BEC demands, motor specs, etc. etc.. Gearing is a tiny fraction of the equation that has to be considered when designing a high performance ESC. Even with the issues, Castle stands head and shoulders above any of their competitors as it applies to the bleeding edge of surface performance due to their consideration to so many more of these factors than other manufacturers.
Okay that was my bad, I'm a very light basher, I gear my vehicles pretty conservatively, I don't jump like a mad man, nor do I push it till it thermally shuts off. I wanted this combo because of the type of basher I am, I'm a very mild basher. I enjoy sensored combos, and when I heard of the power this thing could put out, I was sold. I just like to rip it up in the dirt, grass, and do some street bashing.

The current condition is that if you want the absolutely best raw power Castle creations is the only option. Knowing full well that it is riddled with issues and likely warranty claims forth coming. What is sad, is that the hardware can actually take the abuse and power levels, they just have bugs in the software that needs to get sorted. No other ESC on the market can take "long" durations of 400-600 amps like the XLX2 can.

If you want incredibly tuff reliability you go with HobbyWing max6 or max5 and take a hit on performance.

I agree that Castle has mislead people on what their product should be used for. With that said there are plenty of people out there running these ESCs without issues. It seems to be hit or miss.

Also, since you consider it not appropriate for bashing, is it because of the age? It's hardware? Or firmware? I understand this ESC is young, and it needs time to improve, but I feel like this is something that can be fixed in firmware. I wouldn't consider that making it inappropriate for the application, it just needs time for small kinks. I just wish they at least said they would eventually be working on a fix.

As it stands, not being on the inside of the development at Castle, I would be willing to bet the majority of issues are architectural, primarily in hardware, that can be mitigated in firmware patches, but likely never rectified unless the hardware is redesigned. Shoot, I'd be willing to bet the issue a couple guys here have been having with desyncing on the MMX8S is due to architectural design as well. Likely due to trying to fit big power in a relatively small package. However, I am not an authority on this and it is merely conjecture on my part.

The current condition is that if you want the absolutely best raw power Castle creations is the only option. Knowing full well that it is riddled with issues and likely warranty claims forth coming. What is sad, is that the hardware can actually take the abuse and power levels, they just have bugs in the software that needs to get sorted. No other ESC on the market can take "long" durations of 400-600 amps like the XLX2 can.

If you want incredibly tuff reliability you go with HobbyWing max6 or max5 and take a hit on performance.

I agree that Castle has mislead people on what their product should be used for. With that said there are plenty of people out there running these ESCs without issues. It seems to be hit or miss.
For me I wanted something overkill so I wouldn't have to worry about temps, plus I like knowing that my electronics can handle huge amp draw, even though I won't be pulling nearly as much. I love castles programmability too, and all their options, I just wouldn't be satisfied with a hobbywing combo for my application.
As it stands, not being on the inside of the development at Castle, I would be willing to bet the majority of issues are architectural, primarily in hardware, that can be mitigated in firmware patches, but likely never rectified unless the hardware is redesigned. Shoot, I'd be willing to bet the issue a couple guys here have been having with desyncing on the MMX8S is due to architectural design as well. Likely due to trying to fit big power in a relatively small package. However, I am not an authority on this and it is merely conjecture on my part.
The way they boiled the issue down for me made it seem it would be possible for this to be fixed within a firmware update. If that is the case, I would have zero issues with this ESC for my application. I will most likely just have to wait patiently for it, and I believe it will be worth it considering the potential the XLX2 has.

👋🏻 Yep that’s me! I have ZERO issues with my XLX2’s so far. Super rock solid. Buuuttttt all of my five MMX8S have had issues at some point. Usually when pushed hard on 8S. Burnt so many motors. Always thinking I was to blame. Heck I’ve been branded the motor slayer.

👋🏻 Yep that’s me! I have ZERO issues with my XLX2’s so far. Super rock solid. Buuuttttt all of my five MMX8S have had issues at some point. Usually when pushed hard on 8S. Burnt so many motors. Always thinking I was to blame. Heck I’ve been branded the motor slayer.
So you don't have the RPM matching issue on your unit? Sounds like bliss. That makes me still debate whether or not I should try and get a new unit or just ride it out, I'm very worried there's a more deeply rooted issue with my unit specifically, but the way they put it on the phone makes me think otherwise... I'm just really torn because it absolutely rips with this combo, and it doesn't struggle at all.

So you don't have the RPM matching issue on your unit? Sounds like bliss. That makes me still debate whether or not I should try and get a new unit or just ride it out, I'm very worried there's a more deeply rooted issue with my unit specifically, but the way they put it on the phone makes me think otherwise... I'm just really torn because it absolutely rips with this combo, and it doesn't struggle at all.
No issues at all with my XLX2’s. I have one in my Mojave EXB with a 2028-1100 and one in my Infraction GT with a 1717-1650. Neither have issues that I can tell. Both are hitting over 130mph. My MMX8S all have warts tho. What’s crazy is they run stone cold for a long time and then bam they start cogging and burn a motor to charred bits. Early on I thought I was to blame and kept buying bigger fans to keep them cool. Now I realize the ESC was frying them.

No issues at all with my XLX2’s. I have one in my Mojave EXB with a 2028-1100 and one in my Infraction GT with a 1717-1650. Neither have issues that I can tell. Both are hitting over 130mph. My MMX8S all have warts tho. What’s crazy is they run stone cold for a long time and then bam they start cogging and burn a motor to charred bits. Early on I thought I was to blame and kept buying bigger fans to keep them cool. Now I realize the ESC was frying them.
I hope that isn't an issue I have, because both my motor and ESC run ice cold, the fan doesn't even kick on my xlx2. I'll talk to castle again to go a little more in depth if possible... Because I might just return it for another unit.

I hope that isn't an issue I have, because both my motor and ESC run ice cold, the fan doesn't even kick on my xlx2. I'll talk to castle again to go a little more in depth if possible... Because I might just return it for another unit.
I don’t think my XLX2 fans ever turn on. They never break 100F during a normal pass.

All I know is that I appreciate this post when I went to check the form it was the first thing that popped up and like I said I was about to blow $1,200 on an x-max with that combo in it so at least the info saved one person from buying a basher with a combo in it that's not supposed to be there apparently that's why you see a lot of hobbywing combos in the x-max which sucks because I really like Castle.

I have not hit this breaking issue yet. Im "hard bashing" it in my Kraton 8s. I had one fail because the negative lead desoldered itself. Castle blamed me for this but I don't think it was my fault. I had moderate gearing and never got it hot. Also saw someone else have the same issue and Castle did warranty it. Otherwise its been fine.

I have not hit this breaking issue yet. Im "hard bashing" it in my Kraton 8s. I had one fail because the negative lead desoldered itself. Castle blamed me for this but I don't think it was my fault. I had moderate gearing and never got it hot. Also saw someone else have the same issue and Castle did warranty it. Otherwise its been fine.
It seems to be hit or miss, I'm going to stick with my XLX2 for a little while longer, and contact castle a few more times so I can understand this issue better. Because as it stands, it makes the vehicle very irritating to drive. I also learned that when letting off the throttle as well will cause the tires to lock up, I adjusted brake percentage just out of curiosity to see if it would lessen the issue, but it does it just as bad no matter what. Given that, this could even cause speedrunners to lose the vehicle, having the tires locking up after letting off throttle, it's kind of scary. I feel like my ESC has more wrong with it, and it's possibly amplifying this issue... I'd love to see a video of someone having a similar issue to mine to really verify it, because all I have right now is castle's word, and different issues users have been experiencing with the XLX2. It's such a minor flaw, considering how well it runs!

For the price of the combo there should be zero issues in fact it should fix itself for free, I know TP power motors are not censored but combo with my spectrum ESC I have almost zero cogging on my Kraton
In fact I think this conversation just inspired me to do a new video once I get this baby off the bench

For the price of the combo there should be zero issues in fact it should fix itself for free

🤣🤣 There goes my stress for the day. I just got my entertainment for the rest of the week in one dose.

Has anyone run these with non sensored non castle motors and had problems? I run the mxx8s with a non sensored Rocket 56113 in a 30plus pound Kraton 8s and it throws it around like nothing. So far it’s been flawless for over a year.

Also I'd like to reply to @ABabyEater and apologize for the frustrations I threw at him, I could've went back and forth in a more... constructive manner, I'm not trying to make enemies on this platform, just talk about stuff and issues. I appreciate your contribution to the discussion.

Also I'd like to reply to @ABabyEater and apologize for the frustrations I threw at him, I could've went back and forth in a more... constructive manner, I'm not trying to make enemies on this platform, just talk about stuff and issues. I appreciate your contribution to the discussion.
Hey man, I appreciate the apology. No bad feelings held against you, I totally understand that the frustration of some things in the hobby can be overwhelming. I can get a bit... troll-y, at times, too, so I know it isn't all on your shoulders. Hopefully more people see the thread and learn something, as well as taking heed of the warning you parsed in the first post.

Has anyone run these with non sensored non castle motors and had problems? I run the mxx8s with a non sensored Rocket 56113 in a 30plus pound Kraton 8s and it throws it around like nothing. So far it’s been flawless for over a year.
Yes I had de-sync issues with the MMX8S and TP 4060-cm in my Limitless. Now having de-sync issues with brand new XLX2 and 1717 1260kv sensored setup on 8s passes.

Yes I have ran many non Castle, non sensored motors and has issues. From memory I have blown a Spectrum 1250kv, a Leopard 4275 2200kv, a TP4050 three or four times (lost count), and an Arrma 2050kv. I have also blown two or three 1717 motors as well. Again, losing count.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back