CASTLE XLX2 WARNING: KNOWN ISSUE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've successfully ran ; TP4070CM, TP4060, TP4040, SSS5694, CYS4092, Rocket4092 and GoolRC4272 on my two XLX2's sensorless. (I burned up the Rocket, but that was on heavy gearing)

My TP4060 is sensored and running it with cable made it feel coggy the moment the smart sense makes the switch to sensorless.

Yes I have ran many non Castle, non sensored motors and has issues. From memory I have blown a Spectrum 1250kv, a Leopard 4275 2200kv, a TP4050 three or four times (lost count), and an Arrma 2050kv. I have also blown two or three 1717 motors as well. Again, losing count.
wow, that's a lot of motors...

I just finished talking with someone from castle, the issue I opened up with my xlx2 APPARENTLY is a wide spread and known issue with XLX2 ESCs, and they're NOT working on a fix right now. Basically the ESC is trying to match the rpm of the motor, and it's FAILING which will cause the vehicle to BRAKE once getting back on the throttle with the vehicle moving. DO NOT buy an XLX2 for bashing at least, because you most likely will experience this issue. I don't know why more people aren't talking about this, because my mamba x 8th scale ESC does not have this issue... Absolutely ridiculous... 500 dollars for a combo that isn't even ready after 10 months?! I can't recall the exact date it came out, but this is just ridiculous... I don't see it being an issue for speedrunning, but when you're bashing, you're going on and off the throttle a lot... So this sudden braking will cause the vehicle to jerk violently, it's just going to cause wear on the drivetrain. If anyone wants to see a video of what I'm talking about, I'll post one.
So did I miss details like whether you are running it sensored or non-sensored? Did you post video? Just bought this for one of my bashers so it’s of interest to me.
Hurricane

We still have a warning with no details on settings that cause the issue… no video… inquiring minds want to know.
Hurricane

perhaps a little disconcerting is when Kevin Talbot had his first Castle ESC go up in flames people on this forum suggested it was his fault - it wasn't until he replicated it a second time - and others had the same issue - that the critics were silenced.

and again straight away in this post - we have someone trying to blame the OP that it was somehow their fault...that the XLX2 is not meant for bashing even though Castle's very own website says it is and any brief search on YouTube shows plenty of bashers with Castle products...

is this going to be a common trait anytime someone posts up an issue with Castle products??

perhaps a little disconcerting is when Kevin Talbot had his first Castle ESC go up in flames people on this forum suggested it was his fault - it wasn't until he replicated it a second time - and others had the same issue - that the critics were silenced.

and again straight away in this post - we have someone trying to blame the OP that it was somehow their fault...that the XLX2 is not meant for bashing even though Castle's very own website says it is and any brief search on YouTube shows plenty of bashers with Castle products...

is this going to be a common trait anytime someone posts up an issue with Castle products??
Bro, read the rest of the thread. We came to an amicable conclusion and you wandered in here to resurrect an issue that has been resolved.

Just because a manufacturer claims something is built to a specific use, doesn't mean it actually is. As a consumer is it an individuals responsibility to research the products they intend to purchase and determine if they are appropriate to use as they want, rather than take the company, any company, and their advertising in good faith.

You even point out the user-found issues with the XLX2, including coming from a high-profile individual such as KT. This shows very clearly that the XLX2 is not up to the task that Castle claims, that it is not built for hard bashing. There are multiple other threads on the forum about people having issues with Castle products, including the XLX2, and it is abundantly clear that there aren't any fanboys or apologists here. Even my own responses in this thread make it very clear that I do not absolve Castle of any fault in the issue OP was having.

I just finished talking with someone from castle, the issue I opened up with my xlx2 APPARENTLY is a wide spread and known issue with XLX2 ESCs, and they're NOT working on a fix right now. Basically the ESC is trying to match the rpm of the motor, and it's FAILING which will cause the vehicle to BRAKE once getting back on the throttle with the vehicle moving. DO NOT buy an XLX2 for bashing at least, because you most likely will experience this issue. I don't know why more people aren't talking about this, because my mamba x 8th scale ESC does not have this issue... Absolutely ridiculous... 500 dollars for a combo that isn't even ready after 10 months?! I can't recall the exact date it came out, but this is just ridiculous... I don't see it being an issue for speedrunning, but when you're bashing, you're going on and off the throttle a lot... So this sudden braking will cause the vehicle to jerk violently, it's just going to cause wear on the drivetrain. If anyone wants to see a video of what I'm talking about, I'll post one.
I don't think that I've experienced this yet with either of my XLX2 (one on my Outcast 8s and one EXB K8S) 🤔. I've had them for months now 🤷

I don't think that I've experienced this yet with either of my XLX2 (one on my Outcast 8s and one EXB K8S) 🤔. I've had them for months now 🤷
It's only on some units, some people have it, others don't. That's why I'm getting a replacement, considering the chances of me having the same issue are most likely slim at best. Castle acknowledged this issue prior to me ever calling them, so they knew about it.

The early XLX2 units were shorting into the aluminum case of the ESC. The entire ESC case acts as a heatsink and there was not enough thermal epoxy isolating the two. They would short out and fry the ESC. Some times it was at power up, some required more amperage to be flowing to do it.

The figured out the problem and it was remediated at the production line in later batches.

I feel it was a bit of a cover up saying it was software related. I am now hearing that people prefer the original software over the update for speed run uses over 150mph.

As an FYI if your Castle Link on your PC/Laptop has the latest software it will flash the ESC firmware once connected. So if you want to keep the old software be careful with that.

Last edited:
I bash my xlx2 super hard and have no problems.
I have had some terrible crashes, and tumbles during months. No issues. I switched over to QS8 and that has helped with my battery puffing issue, which is the only thing I've experienced with the XLX2.

I have had some terrible crashes, and tumbles during months. No issues. I switched over to QS8 and that has helped with my battery puffing issue, which is the only thing I've experienced with the XLX2.

This is the first ESC I have seen that will be capable of yanking 500-600 amps out of your batteries.
It certainly demands the top of the line everything or it will expose that weak link!

This is the first ESC I have seen that will be capable of yanking 500-600 amps out of your batteries.
It certainly demands the top of the line everything or it will expose that weak link!
I did get rid of that terrible power switch. I also noticed that they redesigned the fan on the second XLX2 that I bought. That has helped the fan not get destroyed after like the first 20ft jump. It's still good. The first one, with a different design on the housing broke on the first bash.

I've successfully ran ; TP4070CM, TP4060, TP4040, SSS5694, CYS4092, Rocket4092 and GoolRC4272 on my two XLX2's sensorless. (I burned up the Rocket, but that was on heavy gearing)

My TP4060 is sensored and running it with cable made it feel coggy the moment the smart sense makes the switch to sensorless.
Yeah it seems that the Castle sensored motors seem to run best with a castle sensored ESC. ( sensored mode) Castle sensored cables also appear to be more finicky also??
From what others are saying and doing at least.

Yeah it seems that the Castle sensored motors seem to run best with a castle sensored ESC. ( sensored mode) Castle sensored cables also appear to be more finicky also??
From what others are saying and doing at least.
Actually Castle says to NOT use Sensored Mode. They say to use the Smart Sense mode, which is a part time sensored hybrid mode.

I have mostly had great experiences with Castle motors and Esc's, but some failures and one small fire also.. Castle occupies a unique niche in RC. They are a tiny little company and one of the few that make dedicated extreme performance RC electronics whereas most RC electronics are cheap Chinese junk that have a much higher failure rate. I too have been frustrated by Castle issues, but if it wasn't for them I wouldn't be able to do what I like in RC, speedrunning. So I will always cut them slack about things like this. As far as the XLX2 bashing ability, I see both sides of the argument here.. I see the XLX2 as a speedrunning esc, and wouldn't really use it as a bashing esc. But on the box it does say 1/5 scale extreme performance esc, and most 1/5 RC vehicles are off roaders, not pavement pounders

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back