CASTLE XLX2 WARNING: KNOWN ISSUE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually Castle says to NOT use Sensored Mode. They say to use the Smart Sense mode, which is a part time sensored hybrid mode.
Speed running full sensored is never advisable. The Smart sense (hybrid sensor) goes unsensored at self determined speed. The Only way to get ESC to run efficiently at the top end. This for HW sensored ESC's. Same. Seems HW motors play better with HW ESC's. HW motors are chipped with a HW identifier interface. ESC knows it as a HW sensored Motor and links it natively. Motor temps become monitored by the ESC. A motor thermal cut circuit.

Speed running full sensored is never advisable. The Smart sense (hybrid sensor) goes unsensored at self determined speed. The Only way to get ESC to run efficiently at the top end. This for HW sensored ESC's. Same. Seems HW motors play better with HW ESC's. HW motors are chipped with a HW identifier interface. ESC knows it as a HW sensored Motor and links it natively. Motor temps become monitored by the ESC. A motor thermal cut circuit.
Yep I always run the sensor cable, but just in smart sense mode, even in bashers

The XLX only offers the smart sense mode. Sensored is no longer available.

what about the X8S? same?

Oh man, I just ordered the MMX 1/6 800kv combo yesterday.

Oh man, I just ordered the MMX 1/6 800kv combo yesterday.
I've seen very few people have trouble with that system. I did break the fan on mine after the first bash with the EXB mojave, so I replaced the fan with a high powered powerhobby ones that fit right on top of it.

@JayP. Maybe the title of the thread should be softened. People keep popping in scared, while consensus is that it's safe to use a XLX2.

In the link demo mode it's there still is a sensored mode for the X8S
I'm not saying it's unsafe, the title doesn't allude to it being unsafe, it just says "known issue". But I will change it if someone has a better suggestion for this.

I got another XLX2 and it's exhibiting the same behavior. This time I'll have data logs and more videos of the behavior.
I got another XLX2 and it's exhibiting the same behavior. This time I'll have data logs and more videos of the behavior.
I tried adjusting the deadband and it made no difference, it didn't get better or worse.

I just finished talking with someone from castle, the issue I opened up with my xlx2 APPARENTLY is a wide spread and known issue with XLX2 ESCs, and they're NOT working on a fix right now. Basically the ESC is trying to match the rpm of the motor, and it's FAILING which will cause the vehicle to BRAKE once getting back on the throttle with the vehicle moving. DO NOT buy an XLX2 for bashing at least, because you most likely will experience this issue. I don't know why more people aren't talking about this, because my mamba x 8th scale ESC does not have this issue... Absolutely ridiculous... 500 dollars for a combo that isn't even ready after 10 months?! I can't recall the exact date it came out, but this is just ridiculous... I don't see it being an issue for speedrunning, but when you're bashing, you're going on and off the throttle a lot... So this sudden braking will cause the vehicle to jerk violently, it's just going to cause wear on the drivetrain. If anyone wants to see a video of what I'm talking about, I'll post one.
OMG YES FINALLY ANOTHER PERSON WHO SEES WHAT I SEE GOD BLESS YOU!! My goddddd I’ve been pounding on the rc community for months and months trying to solve this and it’s worse than a game of
“Where’s Waldo”… SMH🤪🤷‍♂️🤔 curse these xlx2’s I thought I was lucky getting a new batch that didn’t explode but it got me with a left hook didn’t it… what’s the latest news? What should I do?? There’sa new firm out but it supports the micro mamba, that’s not the firm fix is it??
I am experiencing multiple issues with my MMX8S for Speed Runs and Drag hits too. Waiting for a response, but they seemed ready to help.
The mamba monster X8? Really? That’s the esc you have? Not the xlx2 like I’m having that trigger issue? Man…….

OMG YES FINALLY ANOTHER PERSON WHO SEES WHAT I SEE GOD BLESS YOU!! My goddddd I’ve been pounding on the rc community for months and months trying to solve this and it’s worse than a game of
“Where’s Waldo”… SMH🤪🤷‍♂️🤔 curse these xlx2’s I thought I was lucky getting a new batch that didn’t explode but it got me with a left hook didn’t it… what’s the latest news? What should I do?? There’sa new firm out but it supports the micro mamba, that’s not the firm fix is it??

The mamba monster X8? Really? That’s the esc you have? Not the xlx2 like I’m having that trigger issue? Man…….
I have a few MMX8S and four or five XLX2 now as well. I’ve had far more issues with the MMX8S and very little with the XLX2.

As of right now I'm not 100% sure if there's any sort of fix or if there will be a fix. I noticed on my other XLX2s the issue was almost unnoticeable when driving under most circumstances. The first one I had just happened to be exceptionally bad. But it didn't matter because one of my replacements caught on fire and the next one after that puffed up in smoke. I ended up throwing a mmx8s in my outcast and haven't had a single issue since.

I wouldn’t run a Castle in a basher myself. Hobbywings just handle the abuse much better and you really don’t need 400+A of current when bashing (usually)

I wouldn’t run a Castle in a basher myself. Hobbywings just handle the abuse much better and you really don’t need 400+A of current when bashing (usually)
Preach GIF

👋🏻 Yep that’s me! I have ZERO issues with my XLX2’s so far. Super rock solid. Buuuttttt all of my five MMX8S have had issues at some point. Usually when pushed hard on 8S. Burnt so many motors. Always thinking I was to blame. Heck I’ve been branded the motor slayer.
I've only had one MMX8S and it died one day simply from powering it on. I sent it in for warranty but, for whatever reason, Castle didn't replace it under warranty and instead charged me $130 for the repair. I begrudgingly paid for the repair and 2 weeks later my replacement arrived...an XLX2. Interestingly the box from my MMX8S was in the box and the XLX2 was wrapped in bubble wrap next to it. $130 well spent if you ask me :ROFLMAO:

Castle for speedruns, Hobbywing Max series for bashing. Hobbywing might be better for drag also, not sure

I just finished talking with someone from castle, the issue I opened up with my xlx2 APPARENTLY is a wide spread and known issue with XLX2 ESCs, and they're NOT working on a fix right now. Basically the ESC is trying to match the rpm of the motor, and it's FAILING which will cause the vehicle to BRAKE once getting back on the throttle with the vehicle moving. DO NOT buy an XLX2 for bashing at least, because you most likely will experience this issue. I don't know why more people aren't talking about this, because my mamba x 8th scale ESC does not have this issue... Absolutely ridiculous... 500 dollars for a combo that isn't even ready after 10 months?! I can't recall the exact date it came out, but this is just ridiculous... I don't see it being an issue for speedrunning, but when you're bashing, you're going on and off the throttle a lot... So this sudden braking will cause the vehicle to jerk violently, it's just going to cause wear on the drivetrain. If anyone wants to see a video of what I'm talking about, I'll post one.
Thank you. Definitely did not know that as it was one i was considering 👍🏾

I fixed the XLX2 rev-match! Here’s the link to my video.
Thank you. Definitely did not know that as it was one i was considering 👍🏾
Here’s how to fix the XLX2 problem! Here’s the link.https://youtu.be/EfKkgVJ0bL0

I fixed the XLX2 rev-match! Here’s the link to my video.

Here’s how to fix the XLX2 problem! Here’s the link.https://youtu.be/EfKkgVJ0bL0
Interesting approach. I think I know how to affect similar changes on my 7PXR. Nice one!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back