Castle XLX2 with my old Hobbywing 4278SD Motor possible ? 2250kv 6s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uhm...how much current u draw :D (Amps)
I am running 6s and try to push it to the max while drive a open wheel car :)
I pulled 447A on my 122mph 3S pass with a Castle 1721 motor. I pulled 629A with my TP 4080 on 6S during a quick test pass. It was on a short road though so it was a pretty fast trigger pull.

Open wheel is definitely more challenging when it comes to speed running, that's for sure. I'm running a Deltaplastik Ford C100 body. If you want to check out any of my speed runs, they're all on my Youtube channel. Link is in my signature.

I pulled 447A on my 122mph 3S pass with a Castle 1721 motor. I pulled 629A with my TP 4080 on 6S during a quick test pass. It was on a short road though so it was a pretty fast trigger pull.

Open wheel is definitely more challenging when it comes to speed running, that's for sure. I'm running a Deltaplastik Ford C100 body. If you want to check out any of my speed runs, they're all on my Youtube channel. Link is in my signature.
Subbed! :cool: (y)

629 :devilish::devilish: what was the esc temp? :)

Also the 1721 is a very hungry motor so on 3s 447A is not bad :eek:
I don't like TP motors....i think so many castle esc's gets fried because of them are d winded motors while castle told us they fixed the issue with the software...
anyways, think what u think...
some are good with tp....but i will run my 1717 until the end :p

greetings :)

629 :devilish::devilish: what was the esc temp? :)

Also the 1721 is a very hungry motor so on 3s 447A is not bad :eek:
I don't like TP motors....i think so many castle esc's gets fried because of them are d winded motors while castle told us they fixed the issue with the software...
anyways, think what u think...
some are good with tp....but i will run my 1717 until the end :p

greetings :)
According to logs the ESC topped out at 52°C after two passes. Power output was 11kW/15hp.
1663715509479.png

The issue with XLX2s that blew up had nothing to do with Delta wind motors. It was actually a manufacturing fault in the first batch of XLX2s where the shielding to the case was insufficient and would make contact to the board causing a dead short. The XLX2 works just fine with both Wye and Delta wound motors. The only thing Delta motors don't like is timing advance so, keep it at 0° and everything is fine. Increasing timing just causes more heat but doesn't improve performance any.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 1717. It's a great motor. I just like running different motors from time to time :)

According to logs the ESC topped out at 52°C after two passes. Power output was 11kW/15hp.
View attachment 244862

The issue with XLX2s that blew up had nothing to do with Delta wind motors. It was actually a manufacturing fault in the first batch of XLX2s where the shielding to the case was insufficient and would make contact to the board causing a dead short. The XLX2 works just fine with both Wye and Delta wound motors. The only thing Delta motors don't like is timing advance so, keep it at 0° and everything is fine. Increasing timing just causes more heat but doesn't improve performance any.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 1717. It's a great motor. I just like running different motors from time to time :)
Yea, i know for sure that D Wind motors don't have any effect with higher timing settings, only more heat will produce and efficiency will reduce.
And i also know that batch 2xxxxx was faulty but some in speedrun groups still fried they xlx2 :s
and they also don't like rev without load.

After some time it is nice to try another motor, for sure :)

Yea, i know for sure that D Wind motors don't have any effect with higher timing settings, only more heat will produce and efficiency will reduce.
And i also know that batch 2xxxxx was faulty but some in speedrun groups still fried they xlx2 :s
and they also don't like rev without load.

After some time it is nice to try another motor, for sure :)
I have three XLX2s and I only had trouble with one of them that just stopped working for no reason that I could see. Interestingly it happened when I was running the 1717. I got it exchanged though without issue.

I think I'm good on motors...at least for now. Aside from the stock 4074 it came with I got the Castle 1717 & 1721 and TP 4080 & 5680. I killed my Castle 1520 but that was my own fault. I'd really like to try an LMT at some point and see how they do.

Okay thats very curious...never heard before with a castle motor....only while used old batch xlx2 or bad soldered jobs or too much ripple :)

how you pasted your YouTube URL as hyperlink.
i cant create those links in signature box, only here in thread :cry:

Last edited:
Okay thats very curious...never heard before with a castle motor....only while used old batch xlx2 or bad soldered jobs or too much ripple :)

how you pasted your YouTube URL as hyperlink.
i cant create those links in signature box, only here in thread :cry:
1663717542001.png

Do you not have this button in your signature toolbox?

Yea hope so on thursday. :)
You come from netherlands.
My dad is from there.
Also i drive my speedruns always in Klazienaveen (can see in my vid), maybe you know this city:D

Under 20 degrees i wont do a run.
Klazienaveen is pretty far up north in the Netherlands at the "achterhoek" (the far corner)
Nice road indeed. That's like 600m i gues?

I live south of Eindhoven, always slightly better temperatures around here ;)

Klazienaveen is pretty far up north in the Netherlands at the "achterhoek" (the far corner)
Nice road indeed. That's like 600m i gues?

I live south of Eindhoven, always slightly better temperatures around here ;)
i think it is 750m:)
eindhoven is 2 an half hours away from klazienaveen :-((

Don't be worried about D-wind motors. I only have run TP Power 4070 D wind motors on my XLX2 original version has not been updated to the newer software and runs perfectly.

TP Power motors are great BTW. I saw you said you had concerns about running them....
I don't know any top-level speed runner that is not running TP Power.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back