Kraton Causes of Front Diff Problems?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 8S
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Kraton 4s
  6. Mojave EXB
  7. Outcast 6s
  8. Outcast 4s
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 3s
  11. Vorteks
I have both my front and rear diffs snug with 3 shims. Running 50K/500K/30K F/C/R. I was not pleasantly surprised to notice cogging and that it is from my front diff. I always assumed most of the power goes to the rear, but what causes problems on the front? Would it be braking set too high on the ESC?

Are the 6s EXB LS Diffs worth it? If they'd also end up stripping I'm not gonna drop the cash on them, but if its the equivalent of an M2C part vs an Arrma part in that you probably wont ever have to upgrade or repair, they may be worth the cost.

"Cogging" refers to the motor and ESC. Nothing that points to the front or rear diff specifically. Not quite sure what you are describing above.
Braking hard repetitively especially on high traction surfaces can affect the front main gears. Also, once the front wheels lift on acceleration, power bleeds from the rear to the front. 500k cst at the center should reduce much of this.
Your Oil weights seam dead on fine. Perhaps, the diffs are set too tight( Input gear/Main gear)
3 shims maybe be too tight or even not enough.. IDK from where I am sitting. Can only guide you from here.
I think user error is possible here. Diffs can be a PIA. Doing diffs 50 or more times and you will get a feel for them. It can be easy to over shim. Time consuming no doubt in the beginning wondering if it's shimmed good enough.
I assume you are talking about your Kraton 6s . The EXB diffs Main gears and input gears are more robust. But improperly shimming them will also result in stripped main gears/input gears.
Just my spin. :cool:
I have both my front and rear diffs snug with 3 shims. Running 50K/500K/30K F/C/R. I was not pleasantly surprised to notice cogging and that it is from my front diff. I always assumed most of the power goes to the rear, but what causes problems on the front? Would it be braking set too high on the ESC?

Are the 6s EXB LS Diffs worth it? If they'd also end up stripping I'm not gonna drop the cash on them, but if its the equivalent of an M2C part vs an Arrma part in that you probably wont ever have to upgrade or repair, they may be worth the cost.
^^^

EDIT: its possible that the front main and input gears are or were already toast. Shimming them at this point any better wont help. They will skip and chatter especially noticeable when braking. Been there. Same scenario.

Last edited:
Your symptom is frequently mentioned as 'clacking' but only a guess since you were not very descriptive.
My guess, your gears are eaten up. No, other diffs do not perform better with that aspect, to my knowledge. Once you strip gears they are done, they need proper maintenance and need to be shim'd correctly.

Search for 'clacking' and see if that gives you some better ideas.

Last edited:
"Cogging" refers to the motor and ESC. Nothing that points to the front or rear diff specifically. Not quite sure what you are describing above.
Braking hard repetitively especially on high traction surfaces can affect the front main gears. Also, once the front wheels lift on acceleration, power bleeds from the rear to the front. 500k cst at the center should reduce much of this.
Your Oil weights seam dead on fine. Perhaps, the diffs are set too tight( Input gear/Main gear)
3 shims maybe be too tight or even not enough.. IDK from where I am sitting. Can only guide you from here.
I think user error is possible here. Diffs can be a PIA. Doing diffs 50 or more times and you will get a feel for them. It can be easy to over shim. Time consuming no doubt in the beginning wondering if it's shimmed good enough.
I assume you are talking about your Kraton 6s . The EXB diffs Main gears and input gears are more robust. But improperly shimming them will also result in stripped main gears/input gears.
Just my spin. :cool:

^^^

EDIT: its possible that the front main and input gears are or were already toast. Shimming them at this point any better wont help. They will skip and chatter especially noticeable when braking. Been there. Same scenario.
Ah, thanks for clarifying that about cogging. Nice to know even the veterans have trouble with their diffs at times. I'll probably just replace with the standard parts and try different shimming methods. Appreciate you sharing your knowledge!
Your symptom is frequently mentioned as 'clacking' but only a guess since you were not very descriptive.
Myguess, yor gears are eaten up. No other diffs do not perform better with that aspect, to my knowledge. Once you strip gears they are done, they need proper maintenance and need to be shim'd correctly.

Search for 'clacking' and see if that gives you some better ideas.
Thanks, I'll look into that!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back