Notorious Center diff…exploded!?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McClain210

Reaction score
What happened here and why!? Second time running the truck. Geared up to 14t pinion…nothing crazy. Was running full speed and BOOM. Why!? Not very knowledgeable with this truck yet. Got gears everywhere now😂😂😂

D63D8CEC-C4DF-4D22-ADEF-0B3AE2B0E542.jpeg

714D8503-4D5C-4222-84B7-77DBC78D85B2.jpeg

A7ABBEC2-C105-4586-81DB-E6E067CDE477.jpeg

C3303CF3-DE90-438C-996B-13E62D7BD290.jpeg

BD15B070-E8B9-4C7B-BB07-234480A713FE.jpeg

928B89A9-23A9-46F5-AE5E-F307BF8BCF71.jpeg

What happened here and why!? Second time running the truck. Geared up to 14t pinion…nothing crazy. Was running full speed and BOOM. Why!? Not very knowledgeable with this truck yet. Got gears everywhere now😂😂😂 is the outcast exb center diff tougher? May upgrade.

D63D8CEC-C4DF-4D22-ADEF-0B3AE2B0E542.jpeg

714D8503-4D5C-4222-84B7-77DBC78D85B2.jpeg

A7ABBEC2-C105-4586-81DB-E6E067CDE477.jpeg

C3303CF3-DE90-438C-996B-13E62D7BD290.jpeg

BD15B070-E8B9-4C7B-BB07-234480A713FE.jpeg

928B89A9-23A9-46F5-AE5E-F307BF8BCF71.jpeg
This all shook out of my truck

Attachments

• E23F87EF-63D5-441B-95D8-7D5F0DCBFA4A.jpeg
    E23F87EF-63D5-441B-95D8-7D5F0DCBFA4A.jpeg
    384.9 KB · Views: 75
Looks like something broke :)

A lot of things could have happened, but an internal gear likely broke and bound up the rest of the gears and just grenaded the whole diff. This could be from improper assembly or just bad luck. While you have what's left of the center diff out of the truck, ensure there's no binding in the rest of the drive train.

Looks like something broke :)

A lot of things could have happened, but an internal gear likely broke and bound up the rest of the gears and just grenaded the whole diff. This could be from improper assembly or just bad luck. While you have what's left of the center diff out of the truck, ensure there's no binding in the rest of the drive train.
Do you know if the outcast exb differential is a direct drop in? Im going to buy one off jennys tonight if so.

Underfilled OE center diff! It overheated and went kaput. This is exactly why I strip the car down with every new RC, or at least check diff oil levels. You might be able to warranty the diff if you raise it with HH and explain what happened 👍

Underfilled OE center diff! It overheated and went kaput. This is exactly why I strip the car down with every new RC, or at least check diff oil levels. You might be able to warranty the diff if you raise it with HH and explain what happened 👍

☝️ This... Not enough fluid.. it melted down because all the power was headed to the front.... For sure warranty it through horizon.. They will send you a new one.. but make sure it's full when you get it..

Honestly wouldn't hurt to up the center diff fluid weight while it's apart to check it.. Fluid weight will determine how much power is bled off to the path of least resistance...👍

Thanks for info! Is the exb outcast center diff stronger and can it be dropped in?
☝️ This... Not enough fluid.. it melted down because all the power was headed to the front.... For sure warranty it through horizon.. They will send you a new one.. but make sure it's full when you get it..

Honestly wouldn't hurt to up the center diff fluid weight while it's apart to check it.. Fluid weight will determine how much power is bled off to the path of least resistance...👍
What weight center diff fluid should i upgrade to?

Yes you can use the exb center if you want.. but they all melt if they don't have fluid..😉

This may sound weird, but only you can determine what's needed for weight.. it depends on what your doing with the rig and how you want it to handle..

I always run 500k in my centers, through all my 6s rigs..

500k center diff - standard diff a little bit lower with the exb center diff maybe 300k, IMO
looks like the spur is still in pretty good shape.....score!

Melted the diff. Happened on my first 6s Kraton. Now I always rebuild my diffs out the box. With the correct oil. FULL. They are Underfilled at the factory to begin with. Out the box. These RTR rigs are not so Ready to Run as you found out the hard way. We all learned this. You are not alone. So it basically runs dry with little lubrication for the satellite and sun gears. My center diff was 200F+ when it did this. Over heated the motor also. I replaced the BB's in the motor also. Clean it well and use a drop of oil on the BB's. New or not. You need a complete new center diff. BB's and all. Go to JennysRC and get one. Cheapest way. But this time rebuild it with 300k-500k. Even though it is new. Use 30-60 in the front and 20-30k in the rear. Rebuild all 3 of your diffs. I I promise they will fail prematurely also. Stock oil is 10/100/10k cst's. Too thin for all out bashing,
Doing constant wheelies contributed to this. For sure. Just takes 2 runs and its a wrap. Surprised you didn't blow a front tire yet from ballooning when wheelying.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Alright so i just ordered a brand new outcast exb diff, should i go 300 or 500? Whats the big difference between the two weights? Sorry im not savvy on this center diff stuff yet. I like to drive fast and like do big jumps. The constant wheelies on the notorious bug me sometimes. So which weight would help with that? Cleaned the chassis and everything all up. Im ready to drop this new diff in and get going.

Last edited:
I just rebuilt my k6s center diff from 300k to 500k. Granted the 300k had been in a while but there is a noticeable increase in power to the rear wheels (easier to wheelie when accelerating) but also less ballooning of the fronts.

Alright so i just ordered a brand new outcast exb diff, should i go 300 or 500? Whats the big difference between the two weights? Sorry im not savvy on this center diff stuff yet. I like to drive fast and like do big jumps. The constant wheelies on the notorious bug me sometimes. So which weight would help with that? Cleaned the chassis and everything all up. Im ready to drop this new diff in and get going.
500 regular diff I go 300 if u got the EXB diff. I don't know to much lsd diffs yet as I just got the talion EXB and have been luck to check and fill before I ran it. But they seem tougher and they grab better I don't know how to explain it they seem to transfer the power better.

Agree with Slim. If you go 6s all the time I would start with the 300. If you run mostly 4s and sometimes 6s then go 500k. The problem I find with 500k and 6s power is too much wheelie. I like wheelie when I push it hard not when I touch the trigger.

Thank you all for the great advice! What is best quality diff fluid to get? Going to pick up 300k

I have kyosho 300k and associated 500k. Kyosho held up in my k6s for probably 30+ packs before I checked/rebuilt them. Earlier this year diff fluid was like gold and hard to find in higher cst

Imho, any brand diff fluid is fine. I use Losi or Traxxas cause the bottles are small and fit in my organizer, no other reason. Read some threads of EXB vs regular open diffs to get some info on what weights work for the EXB diffs and how the LSD plates work and such. As @jkflow said, I recommend getting the Arrma aluminum diff case, at least for the center, and just pull the internals from a JRC diff. Get some spare diff gaskets as well. If you tear the gasket at all while assembling and disassembling the diffs the gasket is trash and needs to be replaced, so might as well have them on hand.

Last edited:
^^^ what @Sargent_Horse said.
There is no 'quality' diff fluid. You only pay for the brand name, they all come out of the same big tank. Buy the most bang for your buck i.e. the biggest bottle. 3-500k for the middle, probably even higher if you want more wheelies. Stock values are in the manual.

Imho, any brand diff fluid is fine. I use Losi or Traxxas cause the bottles are small and fit in my organizer, no other reason. Read some threads of EXB vs regular open diffs to get some info on what weights work for the EXB diffs and how the LSD plates work and such. As @jkflow said, I recommend getting the Arrma aluminum diff case, at least for the center, and just pull the internals from a JRC diff. Get some spare diff gaskets as well. If you tear the gasket at all while assembling and disassembling the diffs the gasket is trash and needs to be replaced, so might as well have them on hand.
Do you have the part number for spare center diff gaskets? Im looking at the parts diagram and it only shows the conplete differential. I cant find the gasket i need.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back