Center Diff Destruction (Pics Attached )

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oddworld

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Question:

I just blasted the center differential. How bad is the damage, and any guidance for possible repair/replacement?

RC Car
  • Arrma Typhon v4 6S
  • ESC: Hobbywing EZRUN Combo MAX6 Series
  • Motor: Hobbywing 4985, 1650kv
  • Pinion: Original stock 14T
  • Tires: Duratrax Lockup C2 && Proline MX28 Badlands (pictured)
  • Battery: 2x Turnigy NanoTech Plus 5000mAh 3S 70C (total of 6S)
Pictures

cKk3rDL - Imgur.jpg

r0lfTfV - Imgur.jpg

I4yKy7h - Imgur.jpg

u5Doizg - Imgur.jpg

NLXtcIm - Imgur.jpg

Stones or other debris lodged in there maybe, happened to me, it needs cleaning properly to assess the damage.

As already said a new diff with an aluminum cup and a cover will go a long way to prevent this happening again.

Yeah happened to me. If you neglect them it will happen to the center diff like this. Been there. Fluid was low and probably original thin 100K oil and it melted from heat and blew apart. You whole diff is toast. You need a whole new one. Check JennysRC for a complete one. Fill the new one with 200k -500K Diff oil this time. That is key. I like to "Over fill" mine as some say. Shimmed properly and it should last longer. Better yet get a metal diff housing. The center diff tends to get hot. The metal diff cups dissipate heat better. You might be able to salvage the spur gear,if that. The outdrive cups may be toast also.
Others may chime in. See what they say.
Just buy a new center diff on Jenny's RC. Alternatively buy a new alu center diff with all the parts.
You might want to invest in a dusty cover, would have prevented this.

https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...fferential-diff-50t-spur-gear-kraton-ar106048
Why a dusty Motor cover? curious.:)

Do you think it was pebble or rock that tore it up?? I think it was internal failure.... ?‍♂️

I couldn't tell what started it but I see all kinds of issues. Center diff is not square to motor etc. No question the diff blew out from the inside but was it just heat or something blocking it? ?‍♂️ Definitely needs a little tlc besides a new center diff.

Since there isn't any gouging on the outside and the holes look melted, that diff got super hot and melted then kaboom. Like mentioned new diff and thicker oil. New stronger pins and shims are a really got idea too. Btw that poor girl needs a bath, shes darty.

Yeah Overall maintenance is due. Sometimes I have to shim the center diff also. No one seems to talk about shimming at the center, slop and all throws off pinion/spur alignment .... guaranteed the Bearings are toast from the heat. I measured diff temps over 200F with my temp gun when my center melted. The oil was like Tar. It actually over heated my motor also.

Last edited:
Yeah Overall maintenance is due. Sometimes I have to shim the center diff also. No one seems to talk about shimming at the center, slop and all throws off pinion alignment ....
Mugen shims come with enough for 3 so why not. Stronger is better. I did all 3 and did new pins in them.

I use this Arrma option part. Others use Hot Racing.
METAL DIFF CASE (ARA220050) | ARRMA - Designed Fast, Designed Tough (arrma-rc.com)

Been on B/O for some time now last I checked..... Now it appears to be in stock.

Get the kit below and use the Metal case instead of the plastic one. Save the plastic one for the front or rear diff down the road.

CENTRE DIFF SET 50T (1pc) (AR220029) | ARRMA - Designed Fast, Designed Tough (arrma-rc.com)

You need the oil too.

Amazon.com: Traxxas 5039 Differential Oil, 500,000 Weight: Toys & Games

200k CST or 500k CST. whatever you can find. I prefer 500k/center in my Noto and Kraton 6s. Running larger wheels/tires gets 500k IMHO.
@

Last edited:
Talion and Typhon and Kraton and OC/Notorious all use the same Center diff. (50T spur) Only the center is shared. The fronts and rears have different types of gear pitches, ratios, and can vary.

Last edited:
In my defense, this is my first RC Car and I enjoy fixing/breaking it. Also, I can't seem to let off the throttle.
Obviously your Throttle finger gets a lot of exercise for sure. That's all good, but you need to let go at the right times, or extreme loading will get you every time.:LOL:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back