Center diff exploded on outcast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iamtheoutcast

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Was out bashing 6s waiting for my new motor. I have never seen this happen to any of the arrmas before can some1 elaborate on what they think caused this

Attachments

• 20180221_154930.jpg
    20180221_154930.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 299
  • 20180221_154934.jpg
    20180221_154934.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 238
I have never seen it either. How does the spider gear look like?

Seems to me a barely used diff, in other words, pretty much brand new. Were all the bolts secured from the spur gear to the housing?

There was some serious binding, maybe not shimmed and caught a spider gear and somewhere all that 6S powa is gonna go,,,, LOL

All 3 diffs r shimmed. And the center 1 that blew out if it was something binding it would be noticeably hot at the motor and esc and both were cool to the touch. I flat land drifted a corner on our track then I seen a puff of whitish smoke then as soon as I touched the throttle I knew. The sound it made wow.

You kind of answering your own question.

A picture does not say much. How are the internals, the gears etc? You need to elaborate which diff it is; front/center/rear

How much time since last shimming?

Any difference in handling? Power transfer, too loose, or making too much wheelies, or none...

Was there anything you notice right before it happened?

Where the diff bolts still on the housing, on was complete mayhem?

How does the shims look? Is there any markings, or excessive wear on one or possibly all of them. If you have a fresh set, compare side by side.

*could be at the end of the day premature failure, but there is no information of the pins, diffs condition.

So as I tore apart what was left of the center diff all the spider gears teeth are intact. Shims look good no markings to indicate that something was binding but the pin that holds the crown gear in broke into 3 different pieces. So the conclusion I'm comming up with is that pin broke the the crown gear bound up the spiders and when I throttled it it made a 6s diff bomb.

It was horrible I took the body off and was picking spider gears and spacers up out of the bottom of the chassis. I am trying to figure out a way to build stronger diffs because my outcast is going to 12s in a couple weeks but if I'm exploding diffs on 6s 12s is gonna break everything

Umm... it's plastic. Get a metal center diff cup, that thing works hard, and plastic warps and leaks. It's on my top 10 list of parts to put on 6s truck immediately. I think thicker fluid makes the pressure inside worse.

Umm... it's plastic. Get a metal center diff cup, that thing works hard, and plastic warps and leaks. It's on my top 10 list of parts to put on 6s truck immediately. I think thicker fluid makes the pressure inside worse.
This thread is 2 years old. I hope he has it sorted by now ?

I run those diffs in five 6S trucks. I've never had one fail on me. I run 500k or 1 mil in the centers. What happened to this guy was either a) not enough fluid in the center diff, b) fluid was way too light c) excessive wheelies causing the center diff to constantly unload to the front or d) a combination of any of them.

Sorry, thread popped up in the "related" section.

I blew up a center diff just like this, then I changed to metal cup, they're pretty cheap relatively to eliminate an important but weak plastic point. I'm really surprised I don't see more people complaining like this and using them.

Sorry, thread popped up in the "related" section.

I blew up a center diff just like this, then I changed to metal cup, they're pretty cheap relatively to eliminate an important but weak plastic point. I'm really surprised I don't see more people complaining like this and using them.
I've got pretty much all the upgrades but not metal cups. I guess if I ever have the need I'll consider it. But like I said, 15 running diff cups between 5 trucks and no issues.

This thread is 2 years old. I hope he has it sorted by now ?

I run those diffs in five 6S trucks. I've never had one fail on me. I run 500k or 1 mil in the centers. What happened to this guy was either a) not enough fluid in the center diff, b) fluid was way too light c) excessive wheelies causing the center diff to constantly unload to the front or d) a combination of any of them.
Your comment is 2 years old. I just had the same thing happen to me, and my friend.

Like the current administration, wait for the next guy to “build back better”

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back