Kraton center diff grease?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephane4985

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi, new to the hobby and I have a kraton 6s blx.

Recently, after watching some videos, I changed my center diff oil. Now I am prepping to change the front and rear diffs oil also.

Every video and topic I red on this talked about putting grease on the outside of the diffs.

But I never saw one where someone put grease on the outside of the center diff.

It is right? The center diff does not need grease on the outside?

As a general principle, only grease gears that are completely sealed in some sort of case (such as a fully enclosed diff case). The second reason is because the grease will attract/collect dirt and wear down gear teeth fasther.

Good, Thanks for the reply.
I have another question though. About the shock fluid. In the manual it says to use a 1000 cst fluid. So is it the same type of diff oil but with a 1000 cst rating? The reason I ask this is that I see a lot of shock fluid on the web with a wt rating instead of a cst rating. I was wondering what are those?

Good, Thanks for the reply.
I have another question though. About the shock fluid. In the manual it says to use a 1000 cst fluid. So is it the same type of diff oil but with a 1000 cst rating? The reason I ask this is that I see a lot of shock fluid on the web with a wt rating instead of a cst rating. I was wondering what are those?
Stock center diff should be 100,000cst. Wt is usually shock oils. There are some conversion charts out there 1000sct is about 90wt FWIW.

ok so for shocks, if I understand correctly, any 1000 cst or 90 wt would do.
What I found on a search...

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 11.19.22 AM.png

Team Associated shock oil wt vs cst
10wt = 100cst
15wt = 150cst
20wt = 200cst
22.5wt = 238cst
25wt = 275cst
27.5wt = 313cst
30wt = 350cst
32.5wt = 388cst
35wt = 425cst
37.5wt = 463cst
40wt = 500cst
42.5wt = 538cst
45wt = 575cst
47.5wt = 613cst
50wt = 650cst
55wt = 725cst
60wt = 800cst
70wt = 900cst
80wt = 1000cst

My question was more in the line of, are they different oil and I should use specifically shock oil for the shock or the equivalent diff oil does the same thing?

My question was more in the line of, are they different oil and I should use specifically shock oil for the shock or the equivalent diff oil does the same thing?
I'm no pro not sure of the right answer but I buy diff fluids for diff and shock fluid for shocks...

The question as been asked many time do a forum search many topics on it

ok, sorry, I though it was simpler than that. Looks like it is a topic more complicated than I though, so yeah, I'll do a search and read on that. But like you said, I should probably use shock oil for shock and diff oil for shock. As I don't really need 1000 cst diff oil for something else, I don't see why I would buy diff oil for that.

It's all the same oil usually shock oils are about 1000cst and below and anything over that will be labeled as diff oil. So yes technically they are interchangeable.

It's all the same oil usually shock oils are about 1000cst and below and anything over that will be labeled as diff oil. So yes technically they are interchangeable.
+1

800k CST is somewhere around 50w if I am correct??:unsure:
I am so used to doing shocks by Oil Weight. Diff oil is all in CST. Seems below 1000K most are used for shock oil.
Oil in CST is usually uniform from brand to brand. With oil "Weight", Silicone oil viscosity varies from brand to brand. TLR 40 Weight oil will be different than a TA 40W oil for example.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back