Typhon Center diff little tight after shimming

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
center diff has 2 shims behind gears, 2 outer shims on shafts, once I tighten it up gears are little tight.

there is resistance in turning them by hand should they be like that first time shimming behind gears
If it's not binding, should loosen up when you run. If you're worried, take one shim off each of the two shafts that hold the smaller gears.

That seems like a lot of shims unless I’ve misunderstood.

Recommended Internal shims are:
- 1 x shim for each planetary (total of 2 in the diff cup)
- For each pair of satellites: 1 x shim on one satellite, 2 x shim on the other satellite (total of 3 shims per pair)

That seems like a lot of shims unless I’ve misunderstood.

Recommended Internal shims are:
- 1 x shim for each planetary (total of 2 in the diff cup)
- For each pair of satellites: 1 x shim on one satellite, 2 x shim on the other satellite (total of 3 shims per pair)
Not the regular shimming thats ok
It’s the bigger shims inside the cup that goes on top of the red rubber gasket, there’s 1 behind each gear, then 2 smaller shims behind the outer shafts

where ever a shim can go I put one
Stock diff has 4 shims yes then added 2 shims 1 on Opposite side yes
If it's not binding, should loosen up when you run. If you're worried, take one shim off each of the two shafts that hold the smaller gears.
It spins like it should but just tough to turn but Nothing like it’s stuck just have to put little muscle behind it

Last edited:
I would assemble the diff like the instructions show.
if you are trying to get a tight no lash diff with a plastic cup. Good luck.
Aluminum cups....
All good now 4 shims total thanks guys
My eyes was crooked, the gears wasn’t flush had diff fluid trapped underneath the shim and red rubber after I cleaned like your supposed to do then never would have this issue
I would assemble the diff like the instructions show.
if you are trying to get a tight no lash diff with a plastic cup. Good luck.
What’s lash? I’m still on rookie mode

Last edited:
The first time I took diff apart I seen the shaft shim on table but didn’t see where it went thought it was extra part lol on the bench, then came The exploded view 3 days ago was like I don’t have that shim, but remembered that was March of last yr...lol
I have a V1 Typhon and put 2 shims behind each planetary gear (top of red gasket) so 4 in each cup (Aluminum). Tried it with one but still had lots of play/slop. Super tight now but zero binding. Smooth just feels like molasses in February. 200k in F&R 500k Center.
ok ok cool I did mine same way
When I first did a tear down back in October I didn’t see those 2 outer shaft shims until the other day was looking at exploded view and was poop I ain’t got those ? I might of had them and they just fell off

now Im getting ready to take the front and rear diffs and add more shims inside diff. Super shimmed out

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back