Infraction Center Diff opened up to shim, quick question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sissupr

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
So I opened up the center diff in my Infraction. I noticed that underneath the planetary gear in the diff cup that there is already a washer between the orange oring and the dowell pin. I was thinking there would not be...

Should I replace it with the same size .2mm thickness washer that is larger in diameter or just leave the one that was originally installed from arrma.

17AF7F7A-5AA0-4E09-8B84-EDA0149BC073.jpeg

615240F1-8230-4E7F-97DB-39BA4B011725.jpeg

41581B0E-B8A2-415E-8137-D442282B117D.jpeg

Thoughts?

I will be adding one additional shim (total of 3, 2 from factory, 1 new) to each to the satellite gears as well. Using arrma part number AR709024 3.5x12x0.15mm.

Last edited:
Adding internal shims to the V4 diffs has caused a lot of problems for people. I think most are only adding shims to the outer gears.

Imo it doesn't matter which you use.. and while your shimming it make sure it's not to tight.. I've never found a use in shimming the sun and planetary gears.. people started shimming them because of sun gears breaking in half.. they don't do that anymore, there was an issue in the manufacturing process that's been cured...

Shim em till they feel tight but not too tight. I don't think there's a perfect formula especially comparing v2 to v3 to v4.
This may not help much but I feel once you get em open and start putting it all back together you'll get the gist. After we do a couple we gain confidence and a better understanding of what's going on in there.

I've learned that I needn't overthink this stuff and that's my latest approach to everything in the hobby. You'll be in great shape with the help here from guys that break em down regularly and it's always fun to discover something to feel accomplished about. Most importantly, send it and enjoy the big smiles. This is how I roll anyway.

I've learned that I needn't overthink this stuff and that's my latest approach to everything in the hobby. You'll be in great shape with the help here from guys that break em down regularly and it's always fun to discover something to feel accomplished about. Most importantly, send it and enjoy the big smiles. This is how I roll anyway.
Good motto to live by.

When I say outer gears I mean the input gear and the outer diff gear. People use all types of names for these gears so forgive me if I use the wrong one for your perspective.

You shim to make these two tight

76759A32-CBD6-4CCF-B70E-3BEB79201553.png

So I opened up the center diff in my Infraction. I noticed that underneath the planetary gear in the diff cup that there is already a washer between the orange oring and the dowell pin. I was thinking there would not be...

Should I replace it with the same size .2mm thickness washer that is larger in diameter or just leave the one that was originally installed from arrma.

View attachment 52986

View attachment 52987

View attachment 52990

Thoughts?

I will be adding one additional shim (total of 3, 2 from factory, 1 new) to each to the satellite gears as well. Using arrma part number AR709024 3.5x12x0.15mm.
You are getting some great advice. I did a video a while back on shimming for the V4 diffs. I’ve been replacing the stock internal shims with the Mugen and have been having good luck. But check the video hope it helps. Bash on ??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back