Center differential issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chito

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
I was using the Kraton today and sounds like is grinding bad .pick the car up and turn the wheels but everything looks ok..how much play should the differentials should have..look like they may have too much play...

I was using the Kraton today and sounds like is grinding bad .pick the car up and turn the wheels but everything looks ok..how much play should the differentials should have..look like they may have too much play...
There is always some slop, even straight out of the box mine had like a guarter inch of play between spinning a wheel and the other side moving. Used to have same with center but I effectively locked that up with some silicone ear plugs...anyhow, some play is expected ;)

Grinding though, this is NOT expected and NOT liked, you need to investigate that and figure out exactly where it is coming from before driving again.

Hold one tire and turn the opposite side. Do that for the front and the rear. Then hold the front wheels down on the ground so they don’t move and rotate the rears forward. Then do the same for the front.

There is always some slop, even straight out of the box mine had like a guarter inch of play between spinning a wheel and the other side moving. Used to have same with center but I effectively locked that up with some silicone ear plugs...anyhow, some play is expected ;)

Grinding though, this is NOT expected and NOT liked, you need to investigate that and figure out exactly where it is coming from before driving again.
I will take the differentials apart ..but think is the center differential..I already have the front differential sun gears replace .they broke like a week of having the car..

I will take the differentials apart ..but think is the center differential..I already have the front differential sun gears replace .they broke like a week of having the car..
You can verify by doing like @jondilly1974 suggested first, no need to disassemble anything if it ain't the problem... especially since diffs are full of the dread and nightmares of all hobbyists...

If it is the center you can always apply a healthy layer of silicone ear plugs or similarly thick substance to more or less lock it up but the right thing to do would be to fix it first then apply the healthy layer of thicc goo to it ;)

When I say healthy layer what I mean is packed like a teenagers backpack on a road trip ;)

Ok
Hold one tire and turn the opposite side. Do that for the front and the rear. Then hold the front wheels down on the ground so they don’t move and rotate the rears forward. Then do the same for the front.
I did .both looks like they have about half turn before they move .that was on the air .front wheels on the floor the center don't have much play.

Last edited:
Ok

I did .both looks like they have about half turn before they move .that was on the air .front wheels on the floor the center don't have much play.
Hmm half turn is a lot of slop. Something is wrong. I don’t know exactly what, but a guess is a broken pin or sun gear. Pull the diff and inspect.

Hmm half turn is a lot of slop. Something is wrong. I don’t know exactly what, but a guess is a broken pin or sun gear. Pull the diff and inspect.
I Will...what type of oil I need for the differential

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back