Granite Center driveshaft mod ("upgrayedd") ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fpvmiller

Very Active Member
Reaction score
I modded my center driveshaft on my granite to something more than just the plastic piece.

This is fairly cheap (I think), requires minimal extra parts, and the parts are arrma parts so there shouldn't be too much of an issue (other than in-stock) to find these parts.

This is a "mini-tutorial" because you don't have to do exactly as I did but you can get the idea of where to start.

Here's what you should end up with
center_driveshaft1.jpg

Parts list:

Slider driveshafts - one set, pick your color
Red
Grey

Slipper Shaft - One

Nero Shaft Boots - One

Bearing 8X16X5 - One, this is the outer wheel bearing for the kraton4s/outcast4s

M3x4MM Hex Head screw - I had this laying around

M3x11MM Counter sink screw - I had this laying around

Center Support - I designed, 3d printed this one for the bearing. You might be able to get away with not having it but if you can find someone to 3d print it I would highly suggest it.

Besides the M3x4MM and M3x11 screws total cost is about $33 before taxes/shipping.

Getting the parts together because there is a few minor modifications we need to do.
center_mod1.jpg

The first is the stock slipper shaft from the slipper assembly. Remove the red (short) slipper shaft and remove some material from one end. I took off 1mm from the end and re-inserted the shaft back into the slipper with the cut end facing the front.
center_mod2.jpg

center_mod10.jpg

Insert one boot onto each of the 80mm sliders. I chose to insert them this way to allow me to still slide the shafts back and forth when installing/removing.
center_mod3.jpg

The long slipper shaft will require some new pin holes.
center_mod4.jpg

The first one is easy. Slide one slider shaft onto the short end of the slipper shaft until it stops. Drill your pin hole at this spot.
center_mod5.jpg

For the second hole it will be on the long end of the slipper shaft. My caliper shifted a bit but basically from the long end to the center of your pin hole is 7.5mm.
center_mod6.jpg

center_mod7.jpg

Verify your pins are snug enough to stay in without falling out too easily. And that should be it for the cutting. You will need to drill a hole in the chassis though for the center support "lock screw".

The 3d printed piece gets the bearing and the M3x4MM hex head screw. The screw is just a bearing stop.
center_mod8.jpg

center_mod9.jpg

For installation the M3x4MM screw goes in last to allow the bearing to shift/move while installing the shafts.

Slide the first slider shaft onto the front output shaft.
center_mod11.jpg

Attach the center support at the marked hole in the orientation shown.
center_mod13.jpg

center_mod14.jpg

Insert the slipper shaft short end through the center support and into the front slider shaft. Ensure your pin holes are aligned and secure your retaining pin. Cover with the boot.
center_mod15.jpg

Continued...
center_mod16.jpg

center_mod17.jpg

Install the bearing from the other side of the center support until it is bottomed on the other side.
center_mod18.jpg

center_mod19.jpg

Here's where it gets tight. Insert the second slider shaft onto the center slipper shaft. You will have to persuade it but it will get there.
center_mod20.jpg

center_mod21.jpg

Once you get the rear slider shaft onto the motor slipper shaft you will have to nudge it back and forth to ensure the front shaft is butted up against the front output section and rear shaft is butted up against the motor slipper. At that point ensure your pin retaining hole for the rear slider shaft is aligned.
center_mod22.jpg

center_mod23.jpg

Insert your retaining pin and secure with the boot.
center_mod24.jpg

center_mod25.jpg

Ensure the bearing is still bottomed out and install the M3x4MM retaining screw.
center_mod27.jpg

Now secure the center support with the M3x11 counter sink screw. I didn't take a pic of the top part but basically you drill a hole through the part the center support sits in and then drive a screw from the bottom.
center_mod28.jpg

And now you have a modded center driveshaft (y) ?

Last edited:
I modded my center driveshaft on my granite to something more than just the plastic piece.

This is fairly cheap (I think), requires minimal extra parts, and the parts are arrma parts so there shouldn't be too much of an issue (other than in-stock) to find these parts.

This is a "mini-tutorial" because you don't have to do exactly as I did but you can get the idea of where to start.

Here's what you should end up with
View attachment 76228

Parts list:

Slider driveshafts - one set, pick your color
Red
Grey

Slipper Shaft - One

Nero Shaft Boots - One

Bearing 8X16X5 - One, this is the outer wheel bearing for the kraton4s/outcast4s

M3x4MM Hex Head screw - I had this laying around

M3x11MM Counter sink screw - I had this laying around

Center Support - I designed, 3d printed this one for the bearing. You might be able to get away with not having it but if you can find someone to 3d print it I would highly suggest it.

Besides the M3x4MM and M3x11 screws total cost is about $33 beforfe taxes/shipping.

Getting the parts together because there is a few minor modifications we need to do.
View attachment 76239

The first is the stock slipper shaft from the slipper assembly. Remove the red (short) slipper shaft and remove some material from one end. I took off 1mm from the end and re-inserted the shaft back into the slipper with the cut end facing the front.
View attachment 76240
View attachment 76241

Insert one boot onto each of the 80mm sliders. I chose to insert them this way to allow me to still slide the shafts back and forth when installing/removing.
View attachment 76242

The long slipper shaft will require some new pin holes.
View attachment 76243

The first one is easy. Slide one slider shaft onto the short end of the slipper shaft until it stops. Drill your pin hole at this spot.
View attachment 76244

For the second hole it will be on the long end of the slipper shaft. My caliper shifted a bit but basically from the long end to the center of your pin hole is 7.5mm.
View attachment 76245
View attachment 76246

Verify your pins are snug enough to stay in without falling out too easily. And that should be it for the cutting. You will need to drill a hole in the chassis though for the center support "lock screw".

The 3d printed piece gets the bearing and the M3x4MM hex head screw. The screw is just a bearing stop.
View attachment 76247
View attachment 76248

For installation the M3x4MM screw goes in last to allow the bearing to shift/move while installing the shafts.

Slide the first slider shaft onto the front output shaft.
View attachment 76249

Attach the center support at the marked hole in the orientation shown.
View attachment 76250
View attachment 76251

Insert the slipper shaft short end through the center support and into the front slider shaft. Ensure your pin holes are aligned and secure your retaining pin. Cover with the boot.
View attachment 76252

Continued...
View attachment 76253
View attachment 76254

Install the bearing from the other side of the center support until it is bottomed on the other side.
View attachment 76255
View attachment 76256

Here's where it gets tight. Insert the second slider shaft onto the center slipper shaft. You will have to persuade it but it will get there.
View attachment 76257
View attachment 76258

Once you get the rear slider shaft onto the motor slipper shaft you will have to nudge it back and forth to ensure the front shaft is butted up against the front output section and rear shaft is butted up against the motor slipper. At that point ensure your pin retaining hole for the rear slider shaft is aligned.
View attachment 76259
View attachment 76260

Insert your retaining pin and secure with the boot.
View attachment 76261
View attachment 76263

Ensure the bearing is still bottomed out and install the M3x4MM retaining screw.
View attachment 76264

Now secure the center support with the M3x11 counter sink screw. I didn't take a pic of the top part but basically you drill a hole through the part the center support sits in and then drive a screw from the bottom.
View attachment 76265

And now you have a modded center driveshaft (y) ?

could also make the bearing support like the factory one, would just need a hole in the top of the hoop to allow a driver to pass through...?

looks like it should work well though.. let us know how it works out...?

Damn you all are making me want to invest in a 3D printer now! Have you tested those pin boots at high rpm yet?
could also make the bearing support like the factory one, would just need a hole in the top of the hoop to allow a driver to pass through...?

looks like it should work well though.. let us know how it works out...?

As of now I have ran 4 packs through it without being gentle. I am also using 3.8 badlands. I originally designed a screw hole at the top but I liked the side position a bit better for some reason.

Just a thought, instead of using the pins to hold the shafts together, I wonder if it would be possible to source some springs to fit inside the driveshafts to make it similar to the stock one? Might make it a little easier to install/uninstall :unsure:

Just a thought, instead of using the pins to hold the shafts together, I wonder if it would be possible to source some springs to fit inside the driveshafts to make it similar to the stock one? Might make it a little easier to install/uninstall :unsure:

There were a couple reasons why I didn't go the spring route. I did try to keep it like the stock shaft. It came down to the fact that the center slipper shaft has only so much surface area contact with the rear shaft. I would have also had to find a spring the perfect size AND 3d print an inside retainer for the spring.

With the setup here anyone should be able to use this mod even without the 3D printed center support.

It has now survived a handful of 4S packs and even the blx185 on 3S with a 22t pinion. I want to say it's a fairly stout piece. Now I'm on the hunt for a dirt guard to keep rocks/debris out of the chassis hahaha.

I want to say it's a fairly stout piece. Now I'm on the hunt for a dirt guard to keep rocks/debris out of the chassis hahaha.
I installed yesterday a mosquito net with a special tape from TESA to fix it. I will see, how long and goot it holds, but like this it's a cheap thing to install.

There were a couple reasons why I didn't go the spring route. I did try to keep it like the stock shaft. It came down to the fact that the center slipper shaft has only so much surface area contact with the rear shaft. I would have also had to find a spring the perfect size AND 3d print an inside retainer for the spring.

With the setup here anyone should be able to use this mod even without the 3D printed center support.

It has now survived a handful of 4S packs and even the blx185 on 3S with a 22t pinion. I want to say it's a fairly stout piece. Now I'm on the hunt for a dirt guard to keep rocks/debris out of the chassis hahaha.
Oh okay that makes sense.

Thanks for sharing.
Any updates on how this is working for you? Anything you would mod for the next version?

I no longer have the granite. I sold it modded to another member. When I did have it though it was no issues for me. It handled 4S and rocky debris fairly well. If I had to do another version I would only change the pins to use something like this https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR310556 that was sized correctly just to eliminate the chance of the rubber boot getting torn by a piece of debris landing perfectly there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back