Central Iowa derecho- 2 years ago today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshludden

Thai guy in Iowa
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
  4. Typhon 6s
Like the title says, today marks the day 2 years ago when Central Iowa was hit by a thing called a derecho. The term means something almost like hurricane force straight line winds, some approaching 120-130mph. I had never heard of this before that day but now that term is a stark reminder that weather/storm systems can be very dangerous.
Day started like any other, was working in Iowa City until some very ominous black clouds started forming. Called the boss to see if we should wait it out & he told us to make a run for it. Cleaned up quickly & got dropped off & home. I live in a trailer in North Liberty, about 15 minutes away. By the time I got inside the wind was howling like I'd never heard but all satellite signal was out so I couldn't check the radar. In a matter of minutes it sounded like a freight train going thru the trailer. I don't have a car so I was kinda stuck. There's a grocery store across the street but there was so much debris & branches & whatnot flying by my windows that I thought a sprint might not be a good idea. I hunkered down, literally shaking in fear, not knowing what to do. After some relentless shaking I heard "that" sound, the sound of the 60' tree in my yard coming down. I froze. Glass breaking, tree limbs against my windows, I truly & honestly thought that I was a goner. I've never heard a sound like that nor have I EVER been that scared in my life. After an eternity (probably 10 minutes) I was able to finally get some cell service & call a friend who lives nearby. All I knew is that I was, in fact, still alive but I also knew I had to get the hell out of there. After almost 2 hrs everything subsided. Whole town was w/out power & there were downed trees blocking nearly every single street. Time to go back & survey the damage. Ugh, the big tree had split in half & landed squarely on my trailer & my neighbor's, almost cutting mine in two. Ended up taking that whole week off work to begin the cleanup but the monster on our trailers would require a professional tree service. Power was out for 4 days & my poorcat didn't come out from under my couch for 5, stayed @ friend's house & used my time to help anyone who needed it (there were many)- chainsawing, raking, pulling branches to the curb. Actually brought the community together to be honest.
Weather service later said that the system just moved too fast & exploded too quickly to get any warning out. But I made it thru, band-aided the trailer & still feel lucky to be here w/ ya'll because a lot of folks got it much worse than me!!🙂

20200810_154056.jpg

20200810_153752.jpg

20200810_155713.jpg

20200810_155527.jpg

20200810_155418.jpg

20200810_155316.jpg

20200821_094609.jpg

20200813_090523.jpg

20200811_124011.jpg

20200810_161443.jpg

20200821_140650.jpg

20200821_140043.jpg

20200821_135926.jpg

Wow!
Glad ya made it through.
That was first time i heard that term used before as well.
I live in Kansas so am well aware of threat of tornadoes but yeah never heard of those before then.
Peace!

Wow!
Glad ya made it through.
That was first time i heard that term used before as well.
I live in Kansas so am well aware of threat of tornadoes but yeah never heard of those before then.
Peace!
Would make for a good name for an RC:cool:

That's some crazy sh!t right there! Glad you were OK.

That's some crazy sh!t right there! Glad you were OK.
Thanks man, it was really scary, left me shook but my poor cat wouldn't come out from under the couch for four days afterwards! She wouldn't even walk by that window for about 2 weeks, she thought that sucker was gonna come crashing down again, fraidy cat!!😆
The Cedar Rapids area got the worst of it. Some neighborhoods lost 80% of their old growth trees 😥

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back