Centre diff leaking after rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klappars

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
My centre diff keeps leaking after a rebuild. I put 100k oil in it and cleaned it all out.

I also let the excess oil drain out of the drain hole and installed a new gasket and o rings.

The oil is leaking out of the area betweeen the diff casing and the spur gear.

Is there anything I can do to stop this happening?

Hold the diff cup so that the small grub screw in the plastic diff cup is straight up and remove it. If the fluid comes out of the top it's overfilled. Just let whatever fluid wants to ooz out from pressure and replace the grub screw. Next in a crisscross pattern re tighten the 4 screws holding the spur gear. Ive found that it takes about 2 or 3 cycles of going back over all 4 screws to get them seated on the gasket and compressed equally at all 4 points. You'd be surprised how the first screw gets snugg and then by the time the last screw is torqued down the first one has loosened up. Of course, don't take it too far and strip the threads out in the diff cup.

I also had problems with this.
I rebuilt the diff three times, cleaned it out very carefully and new gasket. Last time i sanded down the plastic diff housing to have a smooth surface still the same leakage.

Now the forth time with new diffhousing and tightening the 4 screws for the housing redicilouosly hard its still dry after ~5 runs.
Will also feel and tighten the screws now.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got the centre diff our the car so I'm going to open it up again and make sure not to overfill it. Might consider a HR diff case if this keeps happening.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back