Cerakote for Diff?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

findywen

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave
Ran across a thread on some other forums that was practically ancient (2011), where someone was using Cerakote on their diff Spiral and their input gear rather than adding grease to coat in the housing. I am planning some maintenance soon, and was about to pick up some grease but thought this might be an interesting alternative in the future, if it actually works. Anyone know how how well this holds up?

Cerakote is a coating. I don't believe it does anything for lubricity of the teeth in a gear train. It might prevent some wear and extend durability somewhat if used in conjunction with a grease however. But I don't think it is a substitute for lube IMHO. That layered up coating may interfere with the pitch profile of the tooth design and its meshing. It appears to replace anodizing in alu. and Bluing used with steel. Corrosive resistency is the only plus I see. But with a good coat of grease, these RC gears don't really rust at all.

I've sprayed and baked cerakote myself on firearms and other aluminum, steel, and polymer parts and while it does have a lubricity to it I agree with SRC that I wouldn't consider it as a replacement for grease. The lubricity aspect helps in firearms because of the metal on metal moving parts and some formulas have a high heat resistance which helps in firearm barrels and such to hold up. However with gear on gear stuff (especially spiral gears) it's going to offer very little benefit (if any) compared to using just grease. Odds are it will just prolong the wear of the gears a bit but its likely to chip over time and get in your gears that way. Plus like already mentioned earlier the layer build up when applying it will likely throw off the teeth mesh.

Thank you for the feedback guys, honestly I had thought the same thing when I saw the post. Both that the buildup might cause an issue with the mesh, and that there would not be enough lubricity. That post claimed otherwise, but one person's claim isn't enough to make me want to throw a few hundred dollars at it to test.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back