Outcast Ceramic bearings in drivetrain

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwblue00

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Ok.....would it be detrimental to use ceramic bearings in the driveline of the outcast? I'm talking about using them strictly for the front, center, rear diffs and ring and pinions. Can they withstand the abuse. I would use steel bearings at the wheels.

Ok.....would it be detrimental to use ceramic bearings in the driveline of the outcast? I'm talking about using them strictly for the front, center, rear diffs and ring and pinions. Can they withstand the abuse. I would use steel bearings at the wheels.

Ceramic bearings are more durable than steel bearings, have less friction, require less lubrication, tolerate way more heat and are way less sensative to moisture. If there is a down side other than cost, I am not aware of it. There are different grades just like steel bearings so the cheapest option is probably not the best option.

@dwblue00 ceramic bearings not only cost FAR more than other bearings, but provide very little gains in the RC world. Ceramic bearings require more maintenance (cleaning) to provide the best performance and are not recommend for dirty or wet conditions. The incredibly small amount of gain 1/10th of second gain that someone might see is only going to be found in the top level racers.

Rubber sealed bearings are going to provide the best protection and be the longer lasting bearing. Metal shielded bearings will offer slightly less protection while providing less resistance compared to rubber sealed.

You'd be much better served spending that extra money on better tires, batteries, motors, etc.

Well I already know about ceramic bearings. I'm wondering will they hold up only being installed in the driveline?

Well I already know about ceramic bearings. I'm wondering will they hold up only being installed in the driveline?
If you already know about ceramic bearings then I'm not sure what exactly you're asking.

If you're asking if they make ceramic bearings that fit those locations you're asking about, then the answer would be yes.

Will they hold up? Well as stated above it all depends on your environment. Ceramic bearings are not recommended in dirty or wet conditions. That said if you're running on-road then they will obviously last longer than running off-road or in muddy or wet conditions.

Ok....maybe my question was not explained quite right......in real world experience, will ceramic bearings hold up in the drivetrain? I understand all the pros and cons of them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back