Notorious Ceramic motor bearings, BLX185 Longevity

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomis38

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Mojave
  6. Outcast EXB
  7. Senton 6s
  8. Vendetta
Well my noto motor has made it two years and my senton motor 3 years. They have had such a hard life and after last weekends Sand Bash I figured they earned a rebuild and proper bearings. "omg the sand was wet and it got everywhere lol"

These motors have never been touched. Beat to death. Rode hard and put away wet countless times. Damn the BLX185 is a amazing system. Well worth cleaning and putting $14 bucks into.

How many others have ran a blx185 for 2 to 3 years with 0 servicing? Who out there has blown one of these up? And how?

20210227_145512.jpg
20210227_145526.jpg
20210227_145529.jpg

20210227_191736.jpg
20210227_191744.jpg

Of 8 of these stockers I did have one armature implode. And that motor was well maintained and even fairly new. Just a bad one I guess.🤷‍♂️
I use Ceramic BB's in 2 of my others. Lim And Inf. They get the hottest and highest RPM's of the rest. No issues. I am anal about maintenance though and Lube my bearings every 15 packs or so depending, even sooner any time I pull the motor for any other reason. It gets a once over.
I never run in the wet. There really isn't much to go wrong in a BLX motor. They are simple. Just 2 BB's, and keep them lubed and clean.
In theory if you don't abuse them and get them very hot, they last for so very long. But brick an armature and you need a new one. :cool:

Well my noto motor has made it two years and my senton motor 3 years. They have had such a hard life and after last weekends Sand Bash I figured they earned a rebuild and proper bearings. "omg the sand was wet and it got everywhere lol"

These motors have never been touched. Beat to death. Rode hard and put away wet countless times. Damn the BLX185 is a amazing system. Well worth cleaning and putting $14 bucks into.

How many others have ran a blx185 for 2 to 3 years with 0 servicing? Who out there has blown one of these up? And how?

View attachment 129737View attachment 129738View attachment 129739

View attachment 129740View attachment 129741
I have burned a few out dew to over heating. my cars are heavy though from upgrades prefer heavy cars seem more planted got some good fans coming for better weather see how it gos

These are good motors. No doubt. Some use them on 8s even.
If anything I think the stock bearings hold these motor back. Nothing a set of Cerams or quality abec motor bearings cant solve.
I wonder how the Firma 2050's will fare by comaparison. Could be the exact motor but different can. That's all. I wish they left the machined fins on the Firma cans. But now Arrma offers HS for them. May not matter. 🤷‍♂️

I have burned a few out dew to over heating. my cars are heavy though from upgrades prefer heavy cars seem more planted got some good fans coming for better weather see how it gos
Makes sense my noto motor was much worse.

View attachment 129737View attachment 129738View attachment 129739

View attachment 129740View attachment 129741
I just received those TRB ceramics as well, but won't replace the stocks until it's absolutely necessary. My 2050's never failed from rotor issues, and even had one running with a pretty bad bearing that never completely failed. My bigger issue was the connectors and wires. I've seen more than one motor where the wires pulled out so far from the can that copious amounts of dirt would get in. Also had many connectors break or become unsoldered, mostly because of overheating issues caused by yours truly. I just put a one and half year old 2050 BLX in a 3s Typhon dedicated for speed runs. Cleaned and checked the bearings first, and now starting a new life as an 80 mph street pig. Great motors for sure.

I just received those TRB ceramics as well, but won't replace the stocks until it's absolutely necessary. My 2050's never failed from rotor issues, and even had one running with a pretty bad bearing that never completely failed. My bigger issue was the connectors and wires. I've seen more than one motor where the wires pulled out so far from the can that copious amounts of dirt would get in. Also had many connectors break or become unsoldered, mostly because of overheating issues caused by yours truly. I just put a one and half year old 2050 BLX in a 3s Typhon dedicated for speed runs. Cleaned and checked the bearings first, and now starting a new life as an 80 mph street pig. Great motors for sure.
Good to know the rotors are that good. And like you said with the stator/windings its from extreme abuse situations. I wish they would have made a 5th scale blx system:).

yes had a few connectors come off motors bit of a weak point I think

I put ceramic hybrids (TBR I think) in mine after about a year, then smoked the motor a couple runs after due to the fan going out. The motor hit 254F. Was like an oven when I took the body off... it was doing that weird chatter thing like they do when one of the motor leads gets disconnected. Now I run a dual fan cooler and lighter tires (backflips vs trenchers). I figure if one fan goes out, I still have something pushing air around.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back