Ceramics vs non ceramic motor bearings. What are the advantages?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
What are the advantages of getting ceramic bearings? I've looked at getting some for my old V1 6s motor and they are about $14 vs 3 sets of no ceramic bearings for $17. Do they have longer lifespans? Thanks guys!

I’m no expert but my understanding is the same as yours. They don’t actually work any better as a bearing but they are much more reliable. They’ll last longer.

I’m no expert but my understanding is the same as yours. They don’t actually work any better as a bearing but they are much more reliable. They’ll last longer.
Right that's my understanding. I think they have some advantages (heat and lower resistance) but I'm wondering is the price difference worth it for the lifespans?

You really have to be careful when it says ceramic. There are different grades and the cheaper ones will shatter and crumble. It’s known for boca bearings to be the best money can buy but they are not cheap. But I have also been running the same bearings for a couple years now as well so definitely pays for itself.

Ceramic have less spin resistance and are typically rated for higher RPM.
Downside, they are more prone to fractures and damages due to certain vibrations. They are definitely more expensive.
Also, sensitive to any contamination from dirt/dust.

Motor bearings should be ABEC5 or better.
Advantage for bashers - none, other than having less money for another RC that will take up more space.

For speed runners, high cost and little return, but if you want top performance that is the route to take.
You will see an improvement above 150mph, if you are below that level you have other issues where that money is better spend elsewhere.

Note: You probably see an improvement below 150, but like I said, you have bigger issues to fight than roll resistance of a bearing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back