Change hub hexs to 17mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah i just took off the stock 14mm hub and pin, put the traxxas 17mm hub on with the grub screw that threaded into hub that went through the axle pin hole no slop fits perfect . i ran my granite for the first time today with the mx28s and man its amazing. super smooth and powerful
Tnx men ?

Attachments

• IMG_4847.JPG
    IMG_4847.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4849.JPG
    IMG_4849.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4851.JPG
    IMG_4851.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 91
question for you guys while i know your on...you think my granite would benifit more from a castle 1415 2400kv motor than the 2050kv 1/8th scale motor i have in there now? the castle 1415 is a 36mm can 70mm long and 2-5s motor super powerful. whhats yout thoughts? probly produces similar power than the 2050kv when ran on 3s?

The 2050 motor has a fatter, longer can, and (I assume) a fatter, longer rotor. This will give it a big power advantage. But - it has so much more power than the truck can use, it never breaks a sweat. With 4s WOT punches, the wheels spin up so quick the truck does not have time to wheelie... :eek: Even on grass, it feels like of like driving on hard pack dirt with a layer of powder. On 3s, the power was more controllable, with tons of wheelies, but the top speed was not great. (17/56 gearing). On 4s, I had to gear down to keep from blowing tires, to 15/56, and the top speed is still uncontrollable due to tire ballooning... As a side note, I have taken my BLX185 out of my Granite, and I don't expect to put it back in there again. Just too much power.

The 1415 probably has less torque, and less real power, but also has higher KV. Less torque will mean slightly slower wheel acceleration, so I bet the truck will 'feel' more powerful, because it will be able to put the power to the ground, rather than just spin the wheels at every blip of the throttle.. :) Higher KV will give better speed on 3s. And while the 1415 should have less power than the BLX185 2050kv, it should still have more power than the BLX100 3200kv that comes in the BLX Granite. But lower KV than that one, so step up the pinion to one hole larger than the BLX100 would run to preserve the top speed.

Humm. I was thinking of getting a MAx10SCt/3200kv combo for my Granite, but maybe I need to make it the MX/1415 combo instead... LOL

think im gonna give it a try. the stock 3200kv motor is plenty fast and powerful enough but the way i have it now you grin from ear to ear. maybe the castle 1415 will be just as fun or perhaps more fun like you said might feel more powerful because id be able to use the power thats avalible

The axle pins on the Granite BLX are 2.5mm x 12mm. I figured out how to use the interactive parts diagram. I thought they were 2x10 so I had to figure out for sure.

yes my bad they are 2.5mm not 2. my appologies.

No problem. At least we both know for sure now. I bought some HPI pins so I would have some extra in case I loose one running the 12mm hexes since they do not have the grub screw to hold the pin in place.

Another thing I was wondering, once I switch to 17mm hex would I able to run a set of 3.8 Badlands? I know I would probably have to use the 13 tooth Gear and would loose top speed

Another thing I was wondering, once I switch to 17mm hex would I able to run a set of 3.8 Badlands? I know I would probably have to use the 13 tooth Gear and would loose top speed
I don't think so. I did test fit some racing truggie tires and the Talion Dakar tires on my Granite - they hit the body. The narrow Dakar tires almost fit, but you could not turn the front tires. Disclaimer - the tires I tested are 0 offset, and the pre-mount badlands are 1/2 offset. So maybe that will help.

Better to look at the MX2.8 tires - they look to be just a bit bigger than the stock tires, and work well.

I also have a set of the 2.8 badlands (for my SCT), but they are 12mm, and I don't have those hexes. I do want to get some 12mm hexes and try them on my Granite.

I don't think so. I did test fit some racing truggie tires and the Talion Dakar tires on my Granite - they hit the body. The narrow Dakar tires almost fit, but you could not turn the front tires. Disclaimer - the tires I tested are 0 offset, and the pre-mount badlands are 1/2 offset. So maybe that will help.

Better to look at the MX2.8 tires - they look to be just a bit bigger than the stock tires, and work well.

I also have a set of the 2.8 badlands (for my SCT), but they are 12mm, and I don't have those hexes. I do want to get some 12mm hexes and try them on my Granite.

Are the 12mm Badlands on the F-11 wheels? I am going to get a set but on the website it says they are 17mm, on Amazon when I read the Q&A section people say they are 12mm. IF they are 12 I do not need to spend the money for 17mm hexes.

I just got the Duratrax DTXC3596 12mm Hexes off Amazon for my Granite 3s BLX, they work out great. I have a set of Duratrax Hatchets and Speedtreads Vindicators when I try to do a speed run they both balloon a LOT, The rubber on them just seems to be to soft, they do get good grip on or off road at low to mid range speeds.

So i am gonna chime in only because i wasted money on the 12mm 2.8 Badlands because they sent me the rear ones which have too low of a offset to fit the hub without hitting the steering or the rear upper turnbuckle mount. I have the HR 17mm hubs coming and i have the duratrax 12mm adapters already so we will see, i am kinda sad, these tires are brand new but opened :(

So i am gonna chime in only because i wasted money on the 12mm 2.8 Badlands because they sent me the rear ones which have too low of a offset to fit the hub without hitting the steering or the rear upper turnbuckle mount. I have the HR 17mm hubs coming and i have the duratrax 12mm adapters already so we will see, i am kinda sad, these tires are brand new but opened :(

Yeah, its kind of confusing, you have to buy the FRONT ones for both front and rear, they have the 1/2 inch offset

No problem. At least we both know for sure now. I bought some HPI pins so I would have some extra in case I loose one running the 12mm hexes since they do not have the grub screw to hold the pin in place.

probly wouldnt loose any top end since thoes 3.8s are quite a bit taller than the stock wheels or mx28s. having larger diamerter wheels is like gearing up a few teeth

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back