Change hub hexs to 17mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
probly wouldnt loose any top end since thoes 3.8s are quite a bit taller than the stock wheels or mx28s. having larger diamerter wheels is like gearing up a few teeth

Ok, I understand now. And if you have bigger tires you should go lower on your gearing? So smaller tires would allow higher gearing is that the way it works?

Ok, I understand now. And if you have bigger tires you should go lower on your gearing? So smaller tires would allow higher gearing is that the way it works?

Yes. Larger diameter tires will increase top end. Smaller will decrease top end. So if you went with larger tires and wanted the top end to remain the same, you would change to a smaller pinion.

which 17mm adaptors did you end up going with? brand and partnumber?

I have not officially went to 17mm yet I'm undecided because I don't think 17mm would benefit me since I can get Badlands tires with f-11 wheels that have a 12mm hex. I don't see any point in spending $15 more.

BUT here are the hexes I know of that will work.
The first part is a Redcat part but it would work
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Redcat-Rac...ex-Hubs-17mm-Nuts-Pins-BS809-007/323601430213

Item 2
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-E-...d7af6ca:g:sxwAAOSwrGVb6IQg:rk:5:pf:0&LH_BIN=1

I think I will end up getting the second set if I goto 17mm because it has a grub screw that will hold the axle pin in place.

Yes. Larger diameter tires will increase top end. Smaller will decrease top end. So if you went with larger tires and wanted the top end to remain the same, you would change to a smaller pinion.

So if I went with the MX28s would I be able to keep stock gearing on my Granite 3s BLX? It came with a 15t.

So if I went with the MX28s would I be able to keep stock gearing on my Granite 3s BLX? It came with a 15t.

Aren't they basically the same size as the stock tires?

Edit: they are so yes. Your gearing will be essentially the same.

I thought the gearing might be alright.
And you can get the F-11 wheels that are 12mm hex, so I don't really see a point in me going to a 17mm hex right away.

I haven't been able to find the 26t gear for the Granite 3s BLX any place. I doubt it would be stable at much higher speed then 50mph anyway, unless I zip tied it so it was down on the ground.
I did a speed test with my granite the other night, I got 35mph on 2s and 3s I got 49 Mph.

And you can get the F-11 wheels that are 12mm hex, so I don't really see a point in me going to a 17mm hex right away.

As long as you get the correct 12mm ones, the ones i got where to close to the body and hit the suspension, the 17mm hexes give a 6mm spacing which clears the steering etc

As long as you get the correct 12mm ones, the ones i got where to close to the body and hit the suspension, the 17mm hexes give a 6mm spacing which clears the steering etc

Yea I know you have to get 2 front sets of the f-11s I guess the offset is 1/2 inch. It should clear the steering block and suspension. The other wheels I bought clear with 1/2 in offset.

I haven't been able to find the 26t gear for the Granite 3s BLX any place. I doubt it would be stable at much higher speed then 50mph anyway, unless I zip tied it so it was down on the ground.
I did a speed test with my granite the other night, I got 35mph on 2s and 3s I got 49 Mph.
i have the 20tooth and the 26 tooth pinions for the granite, the 20t is arrma brand and the 26 tooth is robinson racing. i ran the 20tooth on stock motor and it really flies!!!! really turned it into a little beast. but mid run i noticed that hesitation in the throttle response increased and got worse and i know it was because the motor was drawing more amps. so i went back to the 15 tooth. think if i had a higher discharge battery like 75c it wouldve been more than fine. i only bought the 26 tooth because i run the kraton v3 motor in my granite, and i had to gear up to compensate for the much lower kv motor plus the 4074/2050kv motor has a lot more torque than the 3200kv motor and can push much higher gearing than the stock motor and can push higher gearing with ease expecially on 3s only

yes you can keep your 15tooth pinion. thoes tires are not large enough to be able to tell an extreame diffrence. in fact....other charactoristics of thoes mx28s are gonna have you paying more detail to thoes, rather than the wheel size and speed diffrence. for instance, the mx28s swell up alot faster and larger than the stock tires, there a lot softer compound. so when thoes wheels start to swell up thats when your gonna see a speed diffrence lol. but no worries, i think it looks kinda sweet having your front wheels spool up alittle bit!!! all in good fun never gets old, and thoes mx28s bite like no other!! mega traction on all surfaces

yes you can keep your 15tooth pinion. thoes tires are not large enough to be able to tell an extreame diffrence. in fact....other charactoristics of thoes mx28s are gonna have you paying more detail to thoes, rather than the wheel size and speed diffrence. for instance, the mx28s swell up alot faster and larger than the stock tires, there a lot softer compound. so when thoes wheels start to swell up thats when your gonna see a speed diffrence lol. but no worries, i think it looks kinda sweet having your front wheels spool up alittle bit!!! all in good fun never gets old, and thoes mx28s bite like no other!! mega traction on all surfaces

Its crazy how the stock tires barely balloon on 3s. You go and pay $75 bucks for a set of brand name tires and they balloon and sometimes tear up.
I had a 6s X-Maxx, the previous owner had 4 sets of the Badlands he paid around $175 a set (which is almost as much for 14 inch tires on my car) and each set ballooned, 3 sets of them had already busted. And that was only running it on 6S. So he went and bought a set of stock traxxas x-maxx 8s tires and wheels and never had anymore issues.

In my opinion if an outside manufacturer is going to charge excessive amounts of money for a product then it should be better than stock parts. don't get me wrong Im not bashing pro-line, I mean yes their tires might get better traction and have better wear resistance but thats not worth the extra money to me I would rather buy a cheap set of tires. The issue with cheap tires and wheels are usually the wheels being made out of brittle plastic.

Its crazy how the stock tires barely balloon on 3s. You go and pay $75 bucks for a set of brand name tires and they balloon and sometimes tear up.
I had a 6s X-Maxx, the previous owner had 4 sets of the Badlands he paid around $175 a set (which is almost as much for 14 inch tires on my car) and each set ballooned, 3 sets of them had already busted. And that was only running it on 6S. So he went and bought a set of stock traxxas x-maxx 8s tires and wheels and never had anymore issues.

In my opinion if an outside manufacturer is going to charge excessive amounts of money for a product then it should be better than stock parts. don't get me wrong Im not bashing pro-line, I mean yes their tires might get better traction and have better wear resistance but thats not worth the extra money to me I would rather buy a cheap set of tires. The issue with cheap tires and wheels are usually the wheels being made out of brittle plastic.
i got the stock 8s tires for my xmaxx plus i got the proline mx43 with the beadlock rims but after i installed the castle 2028 motor with castle XLX esc on 8s i had to go to a diffrent tire mine didnt ballon one bit, thoes mx43s are hard as rock lol

I would really appreciate seeing a pic of the axle with the new wheel adapters fitted ?
Can I ask, were the wheel adapters you fitted standard width or wider by how much ?

Thankyou,

I don't understand why Arrma did that, all the other 1/8th scale vehicles are 8mm. It just makes finding axle extensions hard
Because they are stronger. Tekno uses 6mm, and Traxxas sells 6mm as an upgrade.

Same reason they use 14mm hex. 12mm hex is just not strong enough.

Because they are stronger. Tekno uses 6mm, and Traxxas sells 6mm as an upgrade.

Same reason they use 14mm hex. 12mm hex is just not strong enough.
I agree 14mm is stronger. I bought a senton mega with a brushless system the input gear has already been replaced with metal and I replaced the plastic hexes with the metal stock ones.

Hey the Typhon front arms are available from amain & towerhobbies now I got an alert this morning and placed an order
If anyone needs a $5 off coupon here ya go http://i.refs.cc/MSdjvX0V?smile_ref...hbSIsInNtaWxlX2N1c3RvbWVyX2lkIjoyNDg0MTAzMjd9

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back