Granite Changed Gearing and broke rear driveshaft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
9DDD622A-6C33-4677-8FAD-3D8805245C0B.jpeg

I bought a few 32p pinions for my dual slipper setup in my Granite. The 17/57 gearing was really heating up my motor too quickly on 3s. I bought an 11, 13 and 15. I put the 11 in and took it for a test run. No more wheelies in demand. No more standing backflips. Top speed came down too. I was unable to determine if I could run longer before thermal shutdown because all of a sudden I went most FWD. Picked up the truck and saw I busted a rear driveshaft. I have no idea if it had anything to do with the gearing change. Thankfully I have the parts in my box.

Once I fix it I will test to see how long I can run. Then I’ll go to the 13. I miss my wheelies.

20180731_101319.jpg

None of the plastic broke. The pin just pulled out. I'm going to save it as an emergency backup.

Weird thing. Arrma sells a set for the front and a different part number for the rear. What's the difference between the front set and the rear set? They look identical to me.

I believe the fronts and rears are a bit different but I do not recall how. I have busted both front and rear drive shafts on my Granite in the same place as yours. I was able to snap them back together. Then I warmed it up with a lighter and used a couple small sockets, one on each side to clamp it in a bench vice and allowed it to cool down. While that one cooled installed and a new one that I had. Later that week the new one did the same thing and I reinstalled the one I had repaired and it has held up well so far.

I just broke the front skid on my Senton and lost the red metal brace. Gotta love this hobby!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back