Changing Batttery Ends

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAWGGONE78

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Senton 6s
Being very new to the hobby I wanted a little advice on changing battery connectors. When I purchased my charger and battery combo and then another battery I have ended up with Ec3 and Dean's connectors. Any suggestions on connector ends will help. What to buy or stay away from. Want to change batteries to EC5. THANKS

I had started with traxxas... hated soldering them and didn't care for the arc'ing when I started running 6S trucks. Now I use XT90's with the XT90S on one of each pair of packs I run that I plug in last which eliminates the arc'ing.

I've read that the EC* can be a pain to put together, but I've never had any so I don't know. The XT* are easy to solder up. They still pop apart on lawn dart landings, but not nearly as frequently as the traxxas ones.

I'm guessing most will tell you to steer clear of deans. They were the thing to have 15+ years ago, but not so much anymore with the kind of current we pass through them.

Deans are ?...??

XT90's I feel are the best for your average basher in use and also to solder..??? just try to get the ones with the covers at the ends, you can even get anti spark versions too..

EC5/IC5 are harder to solder for a beginner.. but they are another good option

I would say the ec5/ic5 as horizon who owns like everyone really is making it a standard to them. Batteries were once hard to find with those connections are now becoming popular. Plus I have yet to have one come undone.

XT90 have my preference too for the above given reasons. I've soldered and used all kind of connectors and these are my favourites.
Do start with a youtube tutorial on how to solder them. Order some wire and XT90's and practice a few. You'll get the hang of it quite fast.
Best tip: always connect another connector when soldering so too much heat won't melt 'm.

Sounds good thanks for advice leaning towards the XT90.
The only thing I will say bad about the XT90 is they do tend to disconnect on hard landings where the EC5 seem to stay together. I know that some people complain about the EC5 being too hard to separate. ??

I have standardized to EC5 on my Granite BLX and batteries (2S & 3S LiPo). My Granite came with an EC3 as the stock connector.

Having never soldered before I managed to change 4 batteries and the Granite ESC in one evening. Everything came out perfect and I have no regrets on my choice.

There are many YouTube videos to show how.

I use a dab of dielectric grease on the connector every once in a while and they slip on & off without a struggle.

Never had one disconnect during a bash session, but I am not very hard on my truck.

I secure the connector with the Velcro battery straps to keep the wires out of harm's way.

I switched to xt90/xt90s's from traxxas plugs because they popped apart all the time and arc'd pretty bad when I started running 6S. XT90's pop apart too, but not quite as easily. I've remedied it on my outcast by adding an additional strap in front of the plug with the stock one strapping down the wires behind the plug. For my revo, I made little clips out of some delrin flat stock.

Was annoying replacing all the plugs, due to the cost and time. Not bad when you have 1 truck and a couple packs... annoying when you have many trucks, some of which use dual plugs and 16 packs plus adapters for multiple chargers... lol! Took me a couple nights after work to do them all and I still have my 2 small trucks running traxxas plugs.

Still, the xt90's were way easier to solder up than the traxxas plugs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back