Kraton Changing bearings 13T input gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gibber

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
My Kraton 4S 13T input gear driving the back wheels broke in two.

I've got the replacement gear but how do you get the two bearing races on to it please!

Seems too tight to push the first one all the way without damaging it?

Try putting the input gear in the freezer and keep the bearing in your hand or pocket while you wait.. let it get cold for 15 or so mins.. then try pressing it on by hand..

or you can find something that only contacts the inner race and drive it on with a hammer... keep in mind the object used must have an i.d large enough and deep enough to accept the diameter and length of the Input gear.. ?

Cheers, freezer then adjustable spanner (wrench) laid over bearing followed by a bit of force managed to get them on.

Now wondering why the differential isn't as smooth rotating as I would expect it to be.

Cheers, freezer then adjustable spanner (wrench) laid over bearing followed by a bit of force managed to get them on.

Now wondering why the differential isn't as smooth rotating as I would expect it to be.

They are quite notchy when new.. typically means the mesh is pretty tight.. try moving the shim to the other side of the yokes and see how it feels.. your looking for zero lash with smooth rotation..?

Cheers. I've greased it. Feels a lot better. Like you say it's a bit notchy but hopefully it'll bed in with some gentle running in.

I disagree to move the shim to the other side it has a pupose here are my findings break in input gear vs new by moving the shim you are bassicly making your gearhave poor gearmesh after a few runs doesn't matter if it runs smoothly when you put it togueter its going to wear down and your gearmesh will be crap after a few packs
F1FF6F76-36C5-4BEF-8D48-3BC9F720A9AA.jpeg
70C8165E-79A2-495D-ACB1-8EFB793CD298.jpeg

That's what snapped the last input gear :eek::eek:
Your not going to snap anything i personally able to push it by hand its hard but once you get it sliding halfway it will slide completly in you said you snaped your input gear in half take a picture i want to see lol

Last edited:
I disagree to move the shim to the other side it has a pupose here are my findings break in input gear vs new by moving the shim you are bassicly making your gearhave poor gearmesh after a few runs doesn't matter if it runs smoothly when you put it togueter its going to wear down and your gearmesh will be crap after a few packs
View attachment 84285View attachment 84286

Your not going to snap anything i personally able to push it by hand its hard but once you get it sliding halfway it will slide completly in you said you snaped your input gear in half take a picture i want to see lol

We will just have to agree that we disagree...?.. to many discrepancies in molded plastic parts to say a shim goes in a certain area.. a tooth contact that binds is lateral load on a bearing and gear that was never designed for that... may be why you have gone through so many diffs..?

One out of the box can feel good, the other may be notchy, no 2 are the same.. China is instructed to add a shim in a certain area for the loose units, so they do.. (trust me they are not checking mesh on every unit)..

a new setup in the diffs should be imo zero lash, that rotates smoothly.. that is the basic fundamentals of shimming diffs in these rigs..bearings will yield slightly after several packs and bed in nicely...or have them tight and notchy and grind them into bed which is gear and bearing damaging..✌

We will just have to agree that we disagree...?.. to many discrepancies in molded plastic parts to say a shim goes in a certain area.. a tooth contact that binds is lateral load on a bearing and gear that was never designed for that... may be why you have gone through so many diffs..?

One out of the box can feel good, the other may be notchy, no 2 are the same.. China is instructed to add a shim in a certain area for the loose units, so they do.. (trust me they are not checking mesh on every unit)..

a new setup in the diffs should be imo zero lash, that rotates smoothly.. that is the basic fundamentals of shimming diffs in these rigs..bearings will yield slightly after several packs and bed in nicely...or have them tight and notchy and grind them into bed which is gear and bearing damaging..✌
My brand new typhon 3s diffs were rought and after a few runs it started to spin smoothly sun gear has nicely worn down to make perfrct gearmesh between both gears. And for the bearing thing i never had a bearing even old ones still in the differential portion develop exessive play or failure.

My diff failures started after i moved the shim to the other side and plastic yokes i once worn down a sun gear with the metal yokes and i was able to clearly see where the teeth was hitting the crown gear because of the wear and both teeths of both gear were not meshing correctly. But i will say this on the typhon diffs and on my kraton im able to move the first bearing who is far on the sun gear up and down a bit but it has a degree of resistance its not wobbling all over the place.

We desagree . I agree i know a lot about diff shiming but most of diff shiming are made on the most used kind of differentials being metal on those diffs you want want the diff to spin smoothly and be tight as possible. But when i see a new crowngear and sungear with massive teeths that doesn't fit the crowngear made of plastic at all it left me scratching my head for months
9EA12983-7C15-4AF7-82D7-77D67FD0A39C.jpeg

rear diff after a month of use on metal yokes with when i went with my common sense and movig the shim to the opposite side to make the diff spin like butter
C2A8A343-4FE9-463E-9A8B-8BB7FC66B3A8.jpeg

Only reason i took out the front sungear and crown gear is because it has rock chips on it because i ran it with a broken front chassi until i noticed i broke it terminating the life of that differential i cannot say im right but from experience with 100$ in differentials on my k4s this is what i have learn maybe im dead wrong and you are right not going to go on a debate about it ✌?

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back